UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bloat

our little godsend

Very common in Bloodhounds. The one very great concern to Bloodhound owners.

I lost my Bloodhound, Ruby to a torsion and it is the most horrendous way for them to die.

Bloat is the gassing up of the stomach which if not dealt with promptly will become a torsion. You need veterinary help asap or they will die and if they are in the torsion stage they may be beyond help anyway.

Surgical intervention is required for torsion but sometimes the shock is so great to the body they will die anyway.

If they survive surgery there is a great possibility they will 'blow' again.

There are many theories on bloat/torsion but nobody seems to have found the real answer yet.

There are certain situations that may induce it although I took all the recommended precautions with Ruby and still lost her :mecry:

• 2 weeks later...

I knew someone who's greyhound had a preventative operation (I think part of their stomach was literally stapled in place), as they had several episodes of bloat and were felt to be at high risk of torsion. I don't know if anyone else has come across this?

I also wonder if (following on from another thread) free feeding might be beneficial for dogs at risk who tend to bolt their food? It would be interesting to know if there has been any research on this.

The stapling is done to prevent the stomach twisting, which blocks the escape route for the build up of gases, this is the more serious condition.

It won't totally stop stop the dog bloating, which is just as fatal. The build up causes pressure on vitial organs, causing them to fail.

If you even suspect your dog has a problem, ring a vet immediately, time is important to the dogs survival.

With the Dane even after the vet had initially treated her, we were given a direct number to contact him over the next 48 hours in case she started again, thus avoiding major surgery and huge vet bills