UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

2014 Gym And Fitness Escapades

gooster

You definitely don't want to lean forward in a squat - you need to keep the weight in your heels, bum back and head up. I see some really bad squats in the gym - no matter how many times the instructors correct people, they still do it wrong. I actually got complimented on my squatting today by Mr G :biggrin:

If you are feeling brave you could download the evil squat song (flower by Moby) and do a squat workout with that. It is 3 mins 26 seconds of pure hell :laugh: When you get to the end, you get a real sense of achievement though :) (if you look on you tube for squat challenge to Moby flower you should be able to find a video to demonstrate what you do). That workout gets you good at squats pretty quickly!!

You'll have to let me know when the Manchester marathon is Mary (and if you need somewhere to stay I am only 20 mins from the centre of town by train) and if I am free I'll come and cheer you on :)

I asked Mr G about the protein shakes - his OH is going to order some of his supplements in the next couple of days, so Emma said that she would get Mr G to have a look and recommend some for me and then we can just place one order to save on postage :) Hope they are nice - the physio said that I would really feel the benefit by taking then 2/3 times per week :)

Ooh, and another thing that made me smile today. One of the other gym goers came over to me today and told me that he voted for me as one of the fittest (physically) in the gym when they were having a discussion about it on Sunday in circuit training :biggrin: Apparently only 3 girls were nominated :biggrin: I was well made up with that comment - considering that only 18 months ago I was a gym virgin :biggrin:

I know I am not leaning forward thanks to looking in the window it just feels like I am which then make me nearly fall over as I try and compensate !

I will give the evil squat song a go when I get home later

If I can't sit on the toilet tomorrow your in trouble Jayne !

How many hours a week are you both working out please ? I am trying to work out what's achievable around my day and the weather.

It looks like I can do home workouts before 9 am and after 6 pm but swimming is an option in the afternoon

Good luck with evil squat song - it's one of those songs that whenever it comes on Mr G's iPod, everyone looks at each other in despair :laugh: it is quite a versatile song - you can use it to do plank to press up (which is so so difficult but I can just about do it), and also standing to hover on the spin bike. Mr G has an annoying habit of restarting the song just before the first chorus when he uses it in a spin class :laugh: :rolleyes: Regulars know what to expect now.

I would say I work out 6 days per week

Monday - either a 45 min spin class or HIIT class depending on if I am working or not

Tuesday - 30 min abs class, 45 min cycle blast class and 45 min strength and conditioning class (depending on work - sometimes I just do strength and conditioning)

Wednesday - 45 min spin class (if I am off work I sometimes also do a 30 min HIIT class)

Thursday - 45 minute kettle blast class and 45 minute strength and conditioning (if I am working I just do strength and conditioning)

Friday - either 45 min spin class or 45 min cycle blast class depending on work

Saturday - sometimes I do a personal training session with Mr G

Sunday - sometimes I'll do a 45 min spin class if I haven't done anything on Saturday.

Thanks Jayne thats very helpful

I think I am looking at 6 days a week as well but not sure an exciting range of exercise and I do miss my PT

at the moment I am doing 30 minutes DVD each day , which is

day 1 upper body HIIT

day 2 lower body HIIT

day 3 cardio or Bob Yoga ( cardio yoga which is an hour )

day 4 upper body HIIT

day 5 lower body HIIT

day 6 cardio or Bob Yoga (cardio yoga which is an hour )

the upper / lower body DVDs change every 2 weeks and the cardio from the same program changes very 4 weeks

I also have a TRX style thingy here which I must start using as I loved that at the gym

I am hoping to put in 3-4 swims a week which I can do in the daytime when its too hot to do anything else , TRX and maybe some gentle yoga. I like swimming and I also find its very mentally relaxing and does not feel like real exercise . I would love to start running again but the only time its safe on the roads and cool is just after 6 am and I am a lazy bugger !

I don't want to over train ( not a risk currently ) but I am aware I have a tendency to get a little bit obsessive sometimes and I can end up being all or nothing , the last 6 months have been almost nothing but thats been a series of events out side my control rather than a choice so I want to make sure I am doing enough to get fit again but not to much to be silly.

to be honest in this heat I think that will stop me !

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel

Monday body pump - 1 hour

Tuesday road running - 1 hour

Wednesday either track running - 1.30 hour or gym classes

Thursday running training either hills, sprints or HIIT session coach dependant

Friday rest or track depends how I feel and weekend plans

Saturday - park run 5km sometimes I run there and back as well adding 12 miles to the run (depends on training programme)

Sunday - running anything up to 22 miles which is totally dependant on training programme / paid runs.

I also do squats, lunges, ab work and things amongst the plan but that will be in short sessions of 10 / 20 mins in a day.

Listen to your body and remember to do other activities. I can fall into the sod seeing anyone I'll exercise routine so I keep focused on not killing myself that any spare time equals rest and recover!!

xxx

Edited by murtle

Did you try the evil squat song Sam? Mr G had us do it at the end of strength and conditioning today. I used a 10kg bar on my back :) Did it all the way through :)

One of my friends is trying to enlist me to do a tough mudder. I quite like the idea of it, but think it would be really hard. Am going to ask Callum to do some monkey bars work with me on Saturday on Synergy as that is one of the obstacles :)

Not done it yet Jayne as I had me vet team staying with me till yesterday and there is no way I was squting in front of them !

This morning is my day off ( Dogstar ) so of course that meant 3 urgent calls and a lost dog this morning

My morning workout was not possible untill 10.30 when it was 32 degrees

It nearly finished me off .......

My vet team not me vet team

Bloody autocorrect !

:laugh: you could have got them to join in - share the pain :laugh: :ninja:

I think you do amazing to work out in the heat over there - I didn't do much work in Cuba as the gym wasn't air conditioned!!

I had a look at the monkey bars yesterday, however they go higher then lower, they aren't all at the same level, and I don't appear to have the arm strength/long enough arms to do them yet. Something I'm going to work on though :) Callum went through a load of synergy stuff with me, then I asked him if he would do a core workout with me as I couldn't do it this week or last week as I have been working when my usual class is on. I think I surprised him at how strong my core is :) He totally killed my abs then finished me off with a plank - I managed 3 mins :)

This is synergy :)

6E2A3355-FB4B-44BD-8DFB-6D36C82AE785.png

It has like a trampoline on the other side of it that you throw medicine balls at it whilst you do sit ups/squats etc. It also has a trx, weighted running, battle ropes and loads of other stuff on it. This is the dangerous piece of kit that pinged me in the face when I had been doing assisted chin ups (when I took my foot out of the elastic bungee it shot up and smacked me in the face :laugh: ), and also what I got stuck on when using the trx to do jack knives and pikes :)

Going to spin in a bit - must be mental doing a spin class on my birthday :laugh:

I might add I did get into the pool but after 6 months of not swimming it may not have been such a good idea to launch in and try and swim at the full on nutter mad pace I normally do as after 10 lengths I was gasping !

Tomorrow I will be a more sensible squirrel and pace myself so I can build myself up again with the distance and then add on the nutty aqua squirrel speed

This is synergy :)

6E2A3355-FB4B-44BD-8DFB-6D36C82AE785.png

It has like a trampoline on the other side of it that you throw medicine balls at it whilst you do sit ups/squats etc. It also has a trx, weighted running, battle ropes and loads of other stuff on it. This is the dangerous piece of kit that pinged me in the face when I had been doing assisted chin ups (when I took my foot out of the elastic bungee it shot up and smacked me in the face :laugh: ), and also what I got stuck on when using the trx to do jack knives and pikes :)

Going to spin in a bit - must be mental doing a spin class on my birthday :laugh:

That looks mental and awesome and just a bit mental , I love it

6th April is the marathon.

Not keeping up with reading so well but will try!!

Is this your first ? what an amazing achievement to train and do

I am well impressed with you both