UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

2014 Gym And Fitness Escapades

gooster

Looks like it's just me on the synergy class tonight. Considering the first 2 times I have used it I got stuck on the trx whilst doing jack knives and pikes, then got pinged in the face with the elastic foot supports when doing assisted chin ups. I am not holding up much hope for surviving a 45 min class when I am the only one in it :unsure: :laugh:

I escaped :biggrin: :laugh: Mike came up and said that I know how to use synergy, so don't really need to do a class on it unless I wanted to. As I was a bit dead and hungry after spin (but in better shape than the poor new guy who pretty much passed out just after the warm up :unsure: ), I was happy to come home and get some food :)

• Like 1

Glad you are getting back into working out Sam :flowers: I don't know how you do it in the Sri Lankan heat though :unsure:

Well done on the run Mary - I agree that the sunshine makes everything so much nicer and more pleasant :)

Got spin with the fit instructor tomorrow :ninja: :laugh: Am actually debating whether to do it next Sunday as well (although it's my birthday, so hadn't planned on putting myself through a spin class, but it could be a good ice breaker to chat to the fit instructor - especially as I have enlisted the help of a fellow gym goer to get him talking to me :ninja: ). I have got an appointment with the gym physio on Monday night - my neck has been a bit sore recently, am not sure whether it is work related, gym related or horse related (or all 3 combined). It feels a bit like it did when I fell off Blue about 4/5 years ago and smacked my head on a fence - just like it needs realigning back into position and a damn good massage :) Hopefully the physio will be able to mend me :)

I used to see an osteopath a few years ago who was great, but she is a bit of a trek to get to from where I live now, so am going to try the gym physio :)

Fit instructor teaches spin and circuit on a Sunday. Usually Sunday is my rest day since I have swapped to half day working on a Saturday, but last weekend I was at a Christening on Sunday, but was home for 3pm and had nothing to go. I thought I'd see if there were any virtual spin classes on in the afternoon that I could go to. There wasn't, but as the weather was gorgeous last Sunday, a few people had cancelled off the usually full Sunday spin. I thought I would go and see what all the fuss is about :) Now I know why it's usually full :laugh: :ninja: I am a bit of a teacher's pet and go at the front in spin, mainly because Mr G once commented that he thought it was antisocial to cycle as far away from the instructor as possible. So I always go at the front now (which has it's benefits, as sometimes nobody has used my usual bike since my last class. So I don't have to set it up!). Anyway, I was saying to Cat who was next to me that I was surprised I had got onto the spin class at such late notice, and the instructor mentioned that it was probably because the weather was nice but he was glad I had turned up :biggrin: He's a bit different from my usual type - I usually go for muscly guys (like Mr G), but Danny is quite little and skinny :)

I did a 30 minute Jillian Micheals workout this morning at 8 am and its was a nippy 25 degrees ! Its now nearly 4 pm and 33 degrees so 8 am is clearly the best time to be doing this !!!

Jayne/ Mary you might be able to help me with this , I am after a long break finding reverse lunges very hard and I am a bit wobbly when I am doing them ( especially with my left leg ) where as this time last year I could do them no worries

do you think its just a case of practice building back up again ? or is there any thing else I can do

I am doing less of them than the workout asks for as I am trying to get my form right , I don't want to start doing them all sloppy

I would say the key to lunges is to keep the weight in your heels, head up and look straight ahead. I tend to keep my hands on my hips for balance. If you have a full length mirror, try doing them in front of that. You will build up your strength again, it's just because you have had time off from doing them. Mr G just had us going lunges with a bar weight, I was using a 20kg and found I was a bit wobbly as I am not used to doing them with a heavy weight like that :)

I was thinking back to how I first did them with my PT and he had me walking across the studio with hand weights lunging , I will try that tomorrow and see how that works as well as doing them slow and steady during the workouts , the last thing I want to do is get into a bad habit and do them wrong ! Thanks for the tip re heels and head I will try that as well

there may be a local swimming pool I can use , last year the water quality was crap and Mark got a ear infection but its under new ownership now and I hear its quite good now

Someone is going tomorrow to check , if its okay I am going to try and go a few times a week as thats something I can do in the day when its really warm !

Jayne have you thought about cross fit ? I see a lot about it online and they have competitions and local groups. I am sure you are more than fit enough to do it and it might give you an extra challenge and meet more people who share your interest in fitness

Darn it my post didn't post.

Keep doing them, hands off hips though, it should be your core and legs that balance you. But don't slow them down too much otherwise you won't be working them. When I first started doing then I wobbled, a lot, but I was made to concentrate on what I was doing and to keep going. Some was confidence and some was leg tiredness.

Keep going though, I am sure it will come back quickly.

xxx

I ran 15 miles on Sunday, Bleugh it was so hot and hilly. And I injured my knees! First time to have bad problems but I saw a great sports massage guy afterwards who has pinpointed the issue caused by an accident years ago but mainly fixable 😄

todays workout in humidity levels that make you sweat standing still did not have lunges but it did have squats and I think as I am doing those its helping build the muscles that I need for the lunges

I am making an effort to keep my weight in my heels and also using the window to check my position

with the squats its appears that I am doing them correctly but it just feels like I am leaning too far forward. I think your right Mary that some of it is confidence , I also think with the rear lunges that one of my legs is weaker than the other ( my left ) so thats also making me feel wobbly

my DVD workouts are designed to build up from basic to more advance moves I am just finishing the 2nd week , they change exercises every 2 weeks and each week there are 3 workouts which you do twice and the 7th day you rest

I feel better than I did on day one and I am sure in another 2 weeks I will be feeling even more confident and stronger

Mary glad your knee got sorted , are you training for a marathon ?

• Like 1

Am sure you will build up your strength soon Sam :)

Hope your knees are feeling better soon Mary :flowers:

My physio session was absolutely brutal last night. I was really tight everywhere - despite stretching off after every exercise, so he spent ages doing rather painful things from my bum cheeks to my neck and arms to mend me. My bum is absolutely killing me today - he told me I would probably be bruised after the session :unsure: I also have some exercises to do as well and he has advised me to have a protein shake 3x per week as that will help my muscles and stop them from tightening up - he said for the amount of training I do, I can't get enough protein from diet alone :)

Squats will help the muscles you need for lunges Sam. You shouldn't be leaning forwards in a squat. It's the sitting on a chair motion, then a lower chair, stool...although you don't want to go so low it is like when you squat to sit on your heels. Again sit back in your heels when doing them.

One leg is usually weeker than they other so don't worry about the wobble on it. So long as you don't fall over and can complete the lunge that is fine. The wobble is activating the muscles needed. Similar to the shakes you get in exercises like the plank.

I am indeed training for a marathon, manchester this time! But for distance not speed at the moment.

Glad you had a good physio session Jayne.

Good luck with the protein drinks, the ones I can have are vile so I skip them.