UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

2014 Gym And Fitness Escapades

gooster

3min 35sec plank today :biggrin: I actually couldn't keep going any longer. When I plank I tend to wait till a song starts on the radio and try and plank for the length of the song. I failed today (but it was Ellie Goulding - burn, which is about 4 mins long). I couldn't stay up any longer though - I think a 4 min plank is something I need to build up to :laugh:

that sounds really hard , I used to use kettle bells and bars with my PT and enjoyed them

we do have some small hand weights here , 3 and 5 kg and I am searching the capital for bars and kettle bells . You can do a lot with 3 and 5 kg with the Jillian workouts but some more variety with weights would be nice !

Bobs yoga DVD is all using body weight which is good for travelling as we just need a mat and we now have a cross trainer and a rip 60 ( TRX copy ) so we are hoping to be able to get a better overall workout

We also have push bikes but the roads are a bit more scary than I expected and my nerves are in tatters every time I go out , when I did my cycle proficiency test at school overtaking an elephant was not included

Hope you get hold of a bar or kettlebell Sam :flowers:

Just got back from spinning - I seriously have NO IDEA how the hell people can get to the end of that class and not break a sweat :unsure: I was absolutely dripping about 2 songs in :rolleyes: One woman was complaining she doesn't like the new spin bikes as when the instructors tell you to have it on a specific level and cycle at a particular rpm, she can't do it. However as Mike said at the beginning of the class, the level is just a guide and you can have it higher or lower, depending on your ability. She is one who never breaks a sweat - I suspect she has been coasting along on the old bikes and not putting much effort in :unsure: Even non sweaty people must break a sweat after 9.3 miles (that is how far I cycled tonight) of sprint/climb/hover etc :unsure:

Kettle blast tomorrow - I shall report back on what it is like :)

I do a similar thing to the 15/15 from a lady on Facebook, she does 12/12 though and then increases it. I really enjoy it as they are things I can do at home or wherever I am.

I know people who can a run a marathon a barely break a sweat! Some people have good genes, some people are lazy!!

I ran 14 miles yesterday, my legs are looking forward to a couple of days rest now :-)

xx

• 4 weeks later...

How is everyone getting on? This has been my first week back at the gym since my holiday. My legs have killed me this week, so came to the gym for an easyish session. Mr G was training one of the girls who works at the gym and asked if I wanted to join then, so I did. We started off with a ladder - 10 burpees then 10 kettlebell high pulls, all the way down to 1. Then we did the February challenge, which was 100 kettlebell swings in the fastest time - I did 100 in 2min 20 with an 8kg weight. Then we did another ladder type thing with 21 kettlebell swings, 21 squats and 21 press ups, then 15 of each, then 7 of each. Then we did back squats, Mr G made me work up to a 40kg bar for squatting with. Then we finished with plank to press up to evil squat song. I did it all the way through, so was really pleased with myself :biggrin:

50 miles wasn't good.

Copy and paste from main thread

Long run was disastrous but the weather was lovely. I quit and live to fight another day. No course markings and running through above ankle deep mud and deeper water took its toll. I gave up when I had to run through what I later found out to be hip deep water or back track and find another route. I backtracked and just got so demoralised and frustrated. In hindsight it was a good thing to stop as it got worse and I would have been pulled eventually at a checkpoint. All the other club members did it but the next one up from me in capability (2groups up) took 11 hours 45 mins so I wouldn't have been able to finish. Such a shame after all the training but there will be other events!

11 hours 45 mins? That is a serious length of time to be running for!

One of my friends is setting up a group of people to do a warrior run in September - it's a 10k run with unpleasant obstacles along it. I have been toying with the idea of doing one for a while, so I might sign up - as it's in September, it gives me plenty of time to train :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did body pump this morning but he doesn't do a normal body pump class. He does high weights, 8 reps and three sets of each exercise. It was great but harder than I had planned! Then I did a core class just before our club run this evening. Just had a well deserved dinner (a big plate of yummy veggies!) xx

Sounds like good fun :)

I have started to really enjoy spin classes now - Mr G does a really good class, but also gives you time between each track to have a drink and towel down before getting going again. Other instructors don't give you that break, so I always struggle doing intense cardio for 45 mins solid, but the 30 second breaks really help. I have even started getting up at 6.15 on a Monday morning to do a spin class before work :)

I really enjoyed tonight's classes, I felt like I had loads of energy and could attack them head on :biggrin: Only one bit I didn't like was the kicks - I was partnered with a guy and he was kicking the pad I was holding quite hard. Then Mr G demonstrated how hard the guy should kick it as I am stronger than people think. I nearly went flying into the mirrors as Mr G isn't exactly small :laugh: :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...