UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fleas - Help !

loobie

As the title says !! Ash and Stan have been de-flea-ed with frontline combie as normal- it hasn't killed the fleas HELP

I must say that I don't routinely de-flea the dogs but will treat when see evidence. I saw evidence of flea dirt but since treating I can now see the fleas running (at least one that is too fast to catch)

Sorry if you all think we are really grubby but in all my years of dog ownership.this is the first flea problem I have had :-(

The little blighters lay eggs so you probably should treat the house with a spray as well. You can get a big can (enough to do the house) from your vet and Boots also used to keep a good spray. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the stuff though rolleyes.gif

I went away and Googled

There's this one Link 1

and this ONE - Acclaim which I've used successfully.

Edited by Yantan

I switched to Advantage as well as it also prevents heart worm :flowers:

Don't worry too much if you still see fleas running round, every one that is on the dog is feeding from them and hopefully being poisoned by the frontline - as everyone has said they'll have laid eggs in the carpet/bedding which will be hatching out and reinfesting them but even if you didn't spray and hoover by treating the dogs eventually you'd break the cycle. I wouldnt give up on the frontline if its only been a day or so since they were treated as these could be newly hatched fleas but if its been longer than a few days since they were treated ask your vet about advantage and how long a gap you need to leave between the 2 different traetments to avoid overdosing :flowers:

I have seldom used flea deterrant on Rosie and in all her 10 years she has only has the odd one or two. I always comb Rosie with a flea comb and comb her every other day (cavalier king charles spaniel) and 'touch wood' and to date I have been so very lucky

We had this problem last year and finally someone told us to use flea tablets, Johnsons and Bob Martin do them. You can give them while still using Frontline. They will kill all adult fleas on the dog at the time within the hour, they can have one every 24 hours so we gave them a tablet a day until they stopped itching.

I did read an article last year about tablets which I think were called Comfortis which last for a month, they are available from Vets.

As others have said you need to treat the house too.

Edited by BilRed