UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Neighbour Dilemma

gooster

Hi all

Just after a bit of advice on what to do with a problem I am having with a neighbour. About a year ago, one of my neighbours at the back kept putting food scraps on the manhole behind my house (next to my car). This meant that when I brought the dogs to mine, they'd scavenge it and sometimes eat bones etc whenever I got them out of my car. It also meant my car was getting scratched by the many cats sitting on my bonnet whilst they were waiting for food.

In the end I put a note in my window asking them to please stop doing it, which they did for a while. However over the last month, they have started doing it again, but this time putting the meat and scraps on the other side of my car, next to my drivers door. This means in order to get in my car, I have to walk through the food scraps. I really don't think this is on!!

My problem is that I think it is an old lady who is doing it, and maybe she can't walk far (although why she can't put them in her own garden I don't know!!). I don't want to upset anyone, but equally I am getting a bit peeved with it now. I also don't know for definite that it is her though.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to gently stop them from doing it?

Why don't you get one of those CCTV kits (they're around £15) so u can find out exactly who's doing it.

Where can I get me one of them please? flowers.gif

Jayne if it's in your garden, perhaps just knock on their door and ask them if they have seen anybody putting food scraps down because it's on your land and it''s attracting rats etc. Then at least you are giving her an opportunity to stop doing it without directly accusing her flowers.gif

It is my land, which is what frustrates me even more. I just don't understand why she doesn't put the food in her own garden.

I don't really speak to these neighbours, so not sure how it would go down if I spoke to them about it :unsure:

Could they be leaving them for the dogs?

I had a neighbour who would leave a cooked lamb bone from the Sunday joint on the doorstep , for the dogs. It just went straight in the bin.

Could you print a notice/s to the effect

Do not leave any food scraps as it encourages rats. Get it laminated so it lasts. Maybe even put a picture of a rat on it.

Put them up in one or more places.

i have cctv all over my house and it is deffo worth doing :biggrin: i tend to use maplins for getting my kit and have just seen this one for £20

http://www.maplin.co.uk/miniature-covert-night-vision-cctv-camera-with-audio-104962

i don't have this but my cameras have been discontinued and were very expensive at the time (i might get one of the above for the garage)once you know who it is you can try to be polite and just ask if they have seen anyone like has been suggested, if it fails to stop, call environmental health and tell them of your problem and who it is, they should write to them and tell them they are attracting vermin..... might even be able to get them of fly tipping even on private ground, if they want to feed the cats they should use their own bl**dy garden

Is it possible she's just a kind old lady trying to help animals through the colder months & from her point of view has no idea why you should have any objection(s) to this?

If so I would have thought a friendly personal approach was the first step rather than signs, trying to get the neighbours fined for littering etc - surely it's always better to be on good terms if you can.

If you are not comfortable with doing this yourself however is there a Community Mediation or Warden Service in the area? If so they may assist you in approaching the neighbour(s) & resolving the problem.

Alternatively, if all of that fails & it's your land you are presumably free to erect a fence?