UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Alternative Voting ( Av ) Vote On May 5Th

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm really annoyed that they are asking the wrong f****** question and that spineless clegg has yet again sold out.

It should be "do you want voting reform?", and then we get to decide what (assuming most people don't want to keep the horrifically unfair first past the post system).

Also really annoyed that the "no" brigade have been spreading propaganda like the BNP would get in if we used AV. Or having people trying to work out the outcome had we had AV in past elections - you can't possibly know because 1) people tend to vote tactically now as first past the post is so horrific, 2) you have no idea who would be people's 2nd or 3rd choice (or even if the one they voted for was actually their first choice).

Will be voting yes I expect. With FPTP my vote becomes meaningless and that really really pisses me off.

At the moment I think a better argument could be put forward by both sides :unsure: but when googling this recently the standard of argument in the no campaign in particular appalled me.

I think 50% seems like a reasonable target, & getting in as "winner" at present - but with most people not voting for you - is no more fair than the argument that a second, third or even fourth place candidate could be elected under AV (I think 2nd possible 3rd / 4th less likely in reality personally).

Being able to potentially get your second choice in if you can't get your first in seems like a btter option than getting the party you didn't want in (as is traditionally the case for most of us at some point) seems like an improvement to me so I'm currently thinking I'll probably vote yes.

It's about time some of these safe seat MP's had to work harder for us / our votes :wink:

Edited by Ian

I will vote No as I prefer the FPTP as I struggle to find one party to vote for, let alone putting them in order of dislike

You don't need to put them in order.

You can just vote for the one person/party that you want.

If everybody did that it would make a mockery of the system but you are quite entitled to only vote for one.

Do they really expect e.g a labour supporter to say well if Labour don't get in I would like the Tory/ Liberal /BNP etc party to get in?

Nick Clegg has described AV as a poor substitute for Proportional Representation but it was all he could get the Tory party to agree to.

I'm really annoyed that they are asking the wrong f****** question and that spineless clegg has yet again sold out.

It should be "do you want voting reform?", and then we get to decide what (assuming most people don't want to keep the horrifically unfair first past the post system).

Also really annoyed that the "no" brigade have been spreading propaganda like the BNP would get in if we used AV. Or having people trying to work out the outcome had we had AV in past elections - you can't possibly know because 1) people tend to vote tactically now as first past the post is so horrific, 2) you have no idea who would be people's 2nd or 3rd choice (or even if the one they voted for was actually their first choice).

Will be voting yes I expect. With FPTP my vote becomes meaningless and that really really pisses me off.

Totally agree

http://www.general-election-2010.co.uk/2010-general-election-results.html

I think this shows how unfair the FPTP vote is

Do they really expect e.g a labour supporter to say well if Labour don't get in I would like the Tory/ Liberal /BNP etc party to get in?

Why not? If you were a labour voter expecting the tories to get in (or vice versa) but thought you could prevent it by making liberal your second choice wouldn't you do that? (in the past some have allegedly even voted tactically to achieve a similar result)

Edited by Ian

Decided ages ago to vote a resounding NO to AV nothing I have heard, seen or read since has changed my mind one iota its far more open to abuse and trading of votes. Much as I think the current system needs an overhaul whats being offered is not the answer - if this comes in it really wont matter what party you support cos once elected the MP's will be open to all kinds of deals and incentives by one or other party to throw in with them and get a ruling majority - how long will their principles last them eh? Just how long will they stay loyal to their election promises and manifesto - just look at the Lib Dems and the University fees issue.

Australia is the only major country to use a form of AV for its "commons" elections and a recent survey there 57% of the public wanted a return to 1st past the post and only 37% wanted to keep AV. On polling day there are activists everywhere handing out voting cards explaining how to cast your preferences so that it can influence the results.

And the final decider for me came down to finding out just how the votes etc would be counted - all by machine, so not only would all the people who currently get employed during elections lose out on a job but just look at the ruddy farce in the USA over machines counting (or miscounting) votes or even not working at all and all this at a time when we are supposedly broke and people are losing thir jobs and cuts are being made and they want to waste money on this? - phhht no thanks its a NO from me.

And the final decider for me came down to finding out just how the votes etc would be counted - all by machine, so not only would all the people who currently get employed during elections lose out on a job but just look at the ruddy farce in the USA over machines counting (or miscounting) votes or even not working at all and all this at a time when we are supposedly broke and people are losing thir jobs and cuts are being made and they want to waste money on this? - phhht no thanks its a NO from me.

Ive not heard anything about machines taking over Im sure we would be one of the first to know :unsure: . We can use scales to confirm the correct number of papers are in a bundle once counted. Its amazing how precise they are and can work out if one slip is missing from a bundle.