UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Massive Hug Please

Tisaann

I'm really pleased that you've gone to the Police - although it must be a bit of a worry if you are not sure you have the whole story.

Are the Police aware that you are concerned that no-one is in the house sometimes? Is it worth mentioning it as sometimes they will run a car down the street if they know there is an expectation of trouble. And, do you have any nice neighbours who are around during the day that you could ask to keep an eye on the house - with permission for them to report absolutely anything to the Police that they are concerned about?

I have a neighbour who comes in twice a week to let Rosie out for a wee. We have an alarm and in the past if it has gone off then he comes over to turn it off. I told him about thursday and have asked that if the alarm goes off then will he please just call the police straight away rather than go over. On the few occasions when it has gone off we think its because rosie has come in line with one of the sensors.

I asked my son if he would like me to take him to the train station and pick him up in future and he said no because he wasn't worried. So respecting his wishes I have asked that he 'drop calls' me when he gets their as I shall be on tenterhooks all day.

A little while ago I was looking out of the window before pulling the curtains and I saw a car outside my drive with its lights on. Another car pulled up in front of it and as soon as the door opened the 1st car turned its lights out and I swear to god that my heart was in my mouth and my mind went into overdrive :mad: :ohmy:

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: you must have had a terrible shock :GroupHug:

i would invest in a CCTV camera, they are pretty cheap now, maplins are really good for that sort of thing, you can hide it or display it prominantly, if your door goes you can pop the camera on so you don't actually have to go anywhere near the door. as for the cars.... get a notepad, write down dates times, makes of cars and if possible registration numbers, that way if (and i hope not) the blokes come back you will have info to pass to the police :flowers: as for the police thinking your son was involved (it being personal) that is a hell of a conclusion to jump to :unsure: quite often burglars will knock the door and force their way in.

Oh what a day. My son promised to drop call when he got to college. 9am, 9.15am. 9.30am and nothing. O.k deep breathing and be rational. 9.45am and I can't wait any longer so I call him........'the person you are calling is currently unavailable' well with that I so nearly went into panic overdrive. I texted hubby and not getting an answer from him within a nano second I texted my daughter who did text back and took over and the long and short of it was that my network seemed to be down and he was getting the same message when trying to call me. So apart from that today was all calm on the western front. We have thought about cctv but the only place it could be put where we can see who is calling is within arms reach so that renders it quite useless. However, a colleague suggesting putting carpet gripper on the top of my high gates as he said that if they try anything then at least we will have DNA and if question if asked it was there as a deterrent for foxes so although it doesn't allow me to see who is at the front door it does kind of look after the back.

Thank you all so much for your support and well wishes it really does help when the 'chips are down' :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

:GroupHug: It must have been a frightening event for you. I think you were right to contact the police & the CCTV (are there no windows you could use?), door chains / peepholes, panic alarms, the friend / colleague who may be able to "sort it" (I assume he means legally not with more violence) etc are all good suggestions.

Rightly or worngly I might also suggest you get yourself a large dog & / or alternatively that some means of last resort defence be left in the hallway (ie something like a cricket or base ball bat that you could justify having been laying around) I don't wish to alarm you & it may seem extreme but if they did ever return / you were to find that your son really has got involved with the wrong kind of people I'm afraid that 1 on 3 isn't great odds & there comes a point when needs must!

I was once told by a very large copper giving a talk to a group I was in that in such circumstances when asked how hard you'd hit somebody the answer was "as hard as I possibly could" & not the with reasonable force that I suggested. His argument was that when you're in that last despreate situation it's exactly what you would naturally do!

Edited by Ian

When I said to someone that all Rosie did was stand in the hallway and watch she laughed and said what did I expect as she was a pet. I have wondered fleetingly over the 9 years I have had her what she would do if trouble ever came and now I know. :huh:

We can't put a normal chain on the door as it is PVC with a big frosted window top and bottom. I have since learnt though that you can now buy a chain thing that does go on pvc doors (www.secure-ring.com) which we will look into and believe you and me there is now a weighted snooker cue behind the door.

I'm also happy to report that hubby's 'ex-underworld' colleague has said that he has asked around and the great news is that no one he has spoken to knows of Dan.

On a light hearted note I am going to have as my claim to fame 'my voice can be so loud that it make grown men run' :laugh:

So sorry to hear about your trouble that happened! I hope that by putting in the measures you have done, will make you feel more in control and more secure within your home. Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

We had the misfortune to have one of our hanging baskets stolen at 12.22 am last Friday night/Saturday morning. He came in a large silver estate car which he parked up the road an ran down to us snatched the basket, losing plants and ran into son in law's van breaking the wind mirror off in pieces, and left him with a bit we cannot find - missing. We heard a bump, but the dogs didn't bark, it was when we took them for a last walk that we noticed the damage and loss.

The bulbs in the bottom of the basket were a present from some friends for Christmas, and are still in the matching basket. Have managed to locate another basket and plant up again, minus the bulbs. Will put out again now Mother's day is over!