UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bandaging For Paws

zico's mum

Anyone have a foolproof method of keeping a dressing for a cut paw dry - and in situ :rolleyes: Trixie has sliced off a piece of her pad and it's obviously painful on the frozen ground so will be wrapping it up before our next walk but if past experience is anything to go by it will be off in about 5 minutes.So tips please - does anyone use a boot,do the dogs wear them?

Your in luck, I could write a book on bandaging paws laugh.gif.

I used to bandage Daisy's scuffing paw every day, I used a combination of a soft padding bandage such as Soffban then Powerflex on top which is the same as Vet wrap but is stronger and a bit more water proof, I found the best way to get it to stay on was to put the Powerflex under the dew claw then on the next wrap put it over the dew claw, this seemed to keep it in place, you do have to be very careful not to do it too tight or you could cut off the circulation. I did a whole set of photo's for Griff a while ago on how to do the bandage, she might still have them but I don't think I do unfortunately, I'll have a look though.

Now I use Pawz. which are excellent but might not give you the protection your looking for.

I've also tried just about every boot on the market, the two I would recommend are Neo-paws, they do lots of variations but I had these ones, and Active-paws

although the last one can take a while to get to you depending on the type of boot you go for, of the two of them I preferred Neo-Paws, they stayed on better and Daisy seemed to cope with them better, because she's so short coated the Active paws tended to slip down, they never came off completely though but would make her trip up.

Jane did do me some fabby pics but sadly they are on an email account i no longer have access to :mecry: the bandage boot did stay on really well....even with laney running full pelt it never came off. also thanks to janes suggestion i now use pawz boots, they are bloody brilliant! i even gave some to my vets to try on their inpatients, our problem is a longterm issue so we use the pawz when it is slippy and for all other occassions we use muttluks... as yours will most likely be a short term issue i would probably just buy the pawz, they were on offer at canine concepts as i have just bought three more boxes. hope the poorly paw is soon mended :flowers: