UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Do My Dogs Not Feel The Cold?

BillyMalc

Having seen gorgeous pics of people's dogs in the snow, wearing nice coats because it's so cold, I'm starting to wonder ... I put my 2 hooligans their jumpers on when we had to travel in the van to go on a long walk, and they looked at me as if I was subjecting them to the worst abuse! Because they run and roach like eejits, I took their jumpers off when we got there, and sure enough, they ran and roached in the snow like eejits, went into a freezing cold stream for a drink, and all in all don't appear to be bothered in the slightest :wacko: Over the years I've had a few coats for them, including a neoprene for missus "I'm gonna paddle no matter what" Kiera, who then stood ramrod straight, refusing to move in it, and didn't go near any water :rolleyes: so I gave them all away, to dogs who would appreciate them.

They're both collies, and although Sparks does have a bit of an undercoat, Kiera hasn't really got the coat to keep her warm in these temperatures, yet she seems absolutely fine - or am I totally missing something?? :unsure:

Phheeww, that's good to know! Funny how, after doG knows how many cold snaps and an excruciating winter last year, I'm still getting worried about these things - after the lot all have survived and still want to go outside :wacko:

Should we be able to move we'll be going to an agility show on Saturday (early morning!), and Sparky will have to come along and spend quite some time in the van. They'll both be wearing their jumpers, come hell or high water, and Sparky WILL be wearing his bright red, ever-so-embarrassing, lined coat on top while waiting while me n Kiera do our classes. Better keep mobile with me in case he'll think of using it to call the RSPCA! :ohmy:

You think you have problems, I got so many disapproving looks from other dog walkers this morning with my nudist greyhound!

I bet Kiera has more hair than Mollydog, but Molls seems to have the most amazing circulation : she just hares around like a loon in the cold, her ears are warm, she grins, she dances - and she does not shiver. The only time she looks depressed in the cold is if I make her wear a coat (well, unless it's *VERY* cold : it was aroudn 0 degrees this morning and she didn't want her coat - which is a really thin one because she hates the thick ones even more!)

Az does feel the cold and you can definitely see the difference : I wrap him up in jumpers and coats and he really needs them : he's so obviously more happy wearing clothes, and without them stands there shivering and looking pathetic. And Az is much more robust in the cold than my mum's whippet Flash, who is currently wearing two thick coats and a snood for walks and I thijnk would quite like a jumper to wear underneath...

Mum used to put coats on her collies, and they didn't object - but since she's had Flash, she doesn't usually bother any more, she says that compared with Flash it's obvious they don't really need them.

If your pair don't feel the cold then I wouldn't worry about it, they obviously have great circulation and a brilliant internal heating system! :biggrin:

I have noticed that Molls is hungrier than normal, and have upped her food a bit and given her some olive oil on it, cos I reckon she must be burning more than normal staying warm.

Collies are tough dogs. When I think back to my grandfather's working sheepdogs, they were outside whatever the weather - and in North Yorkshire the winters were pretty bleak. They slept in stables, which were solid and dry with thick stone walls but completely unheated, with straw for bedding and never seemed in the least bit bothered. During the day they had access to the stables, but tended to mooch around the yard or sit in the barn (dutch barn with open sides) if it rained or snowed really hard.

As a child I used to beg my grandfather to bring them indoors when it was really bitter but he reckoned sleeping in the warm would ruin their coats for outside work, maybe he was right. It's not how I'd want to keep a dog, but they honestly seemed happy enough and completely unaware of the cold.

It depends on the dog.

My first dalmatian never felt the cold. She would go swimming when the ground was frozen.

My second was a wuss ( a male) .

One day when it was wet and windy and cold we took them to the park. My oldie of ten years jumped out of the car and took off with her ears flapping in the wind. The wuss of ten months jumped out of the car, took two steps and jumped back in the car and refused to come out.

He also used to cry when walking on frozen ground.

Same breed but different cold tolerance.

One retriever used to lie in the snow and catch the flakes on her tongue. She would come into the house looking like a walking igloo. Her coat was so insulated the snow didn't melt on her.

We had to teach her to shake before she came in.

My current retriever/collie lies out in the snow chewing his bone. The only thing that drives him in is hailstones cause they hurt.

My lot never used to wear coats and used to be out in all weathers with no problems, so they don't need them.

I originally bought a neoprene coat for Milly a few years ago, as she used to swim in the cold weather, and then get out and sit there shivering and looking all pathetic. I then bought the neoprene coats for the others when we had that really bad snow in January, because their fur underneath was getting all bobbly with ice and they were still going in the water :wacko: I bought them for my peace of mind rather than anything else.

They really don't act any differently when they are wearing them, and are happy to give me paws to put through the legholes when they are getting 'dressed'.

The added bonus is that the coats keep their fur dry right round the middle, so it's only their legs which mucky.

Edited by merledogs

Sophie is living in her jumper at the moment, but that's cause she has quite bad arthritis in her spine, and is too skinny as well.

Sky, who at 14 might be expected to feel the cold, doesn't. I'll put his coat on him if its reallly wet out, but more to keep him from brining half the woods mud home on his tummy, than to keep him warm.

Logan is a lurchery type, and does have a coat, but he doesn't like wearing it, so its only for if he's going to be in the cold car for a while.

Murphy doesn't seem to feel the cold he still wants to swim even when its impossible i had to keep him on lead near the water last weekend so he decided to roll over and over in a puddle that was iced over, at the moment the snow in the garden comes up to his knees and he won't come in

He is half Collie does that mean anything :huh:

Ted has a coat that I put on him as he gets all his hair cut off every 8 weeks so has nothing to protect him from the elements. He hates it and will run and hide if he sees his coat, but if you don't put his coat on he shivers like mad!! He's just an awkward sod!!

Charlie also has a coat as he's an oldie and feels the cold. He likes his coat though!!