UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Is My House Plant Beyond Help?

suzeanna

I've got a plant somewhat like a rubber plant but it isn't...lots of big plain green leaves and grows tall, think it's a palm of some sort. Anyway, I'd moved it into the conservatory..the unheated conservatory!gulp...and a couple of days ago I noticed all the leaves have collapsed and are just hanging straight down the stem. When I touched the compost, I found it was frozen solid. I've brought the poor thing back in the living room and the compost is unfrozen, but no sign of life :mecry: I've had it for years, is it able to be rescued? cut it back to the lowest leaves? or do I just dump it in the recycling bin?

Now, granted, I don't know anything about plants and am any plant's worst nightmare when it comes to care, BUT ... last year my gorgeous fuchsias appeared to have been killed off by the big freeze. So I cut all the dead bits right off, but couldn't be ask to dig up the rest and get rid. So imagine my total surprise when, come spring, tiny leaves popped out and over the summer 2 massive bushes grew back! They're in a bit of a state again now, what with the frost, but they might just resurrect themselves again next year.

Now I know that these are outdoor plants rather than house plants, but maybe give it a chance and see if it wants to come back to life? :flowers:

The dead looking leaves will not recover so cut them off.

Give it a feed of Phostorgen and keep it somewhere warm.

Look for new growth coming from the bottom.

As it is not the growing season I would leave it until at least the spring for any new growth. Any roots that have survived will have to grow before the plant can support top growth.

A covering of snow will protect the soil and roots from freezing. I had plants, both in pots and in the ground, survive last year through three weeks of minus temperatures, down to -15 some nights, because they had a foot of snow covering them.

But my black bamboo in a pot didn't survive. :mecry: