UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Musical Tastes

Pingu

My musical tastes are very very varied.

some of you may know I am a big fan of industrial metal from the likes of Rammstein and Combichrist and pretty much the whole NWOBHM thing that happened with Iron maiden, Saxon, Deep Purple etc etc etc (as well as the Levellers of course who are most defnately not metal but are one of my fav bands e.v.a.)

however

hands up anyone who also knew I am into the following

English Folk music (i.e. not american country or its ilk) - e.g. fairport convention and steeleye span

Medieval compositions - OK mainly done by the medieval baebes in my music collection but I listen to various bits and bobs if I can find them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eUWs1tDUqY&feature=related

So what music are you into that people may not think you like?

That's funny, I never knew you were a heavy metal fan but would have imagined you to be a "folkie".

I've no idea what people would expect me to like. We mostly have classical on the radio and I prefer Baroque, but I do enjoy a bit of 50s rock n roll much to the disgust of the resident music snob who always stomps out growling.

One of my friends is an opera enthusiast and has opera posters on the walls. Only a few know of his vast and secret collection of Country and Western :laugh:

The cross over between rock and folk doesn't surprise me - look at Led Zepplin.

My Spotify favourites play list has a bit of everything - Queen, Led Zep, Quo, The Osmonds, Bay City Rollers, the Carpenters, Abba, U2, Dire Straits, Glenn Miller (I love Swing), Vivaldi, Saint Seins, Duffy...........

If I like it then I like it, I don't care what 'genre' it is.

Okay, considering that I've just turned the "grand old age" of 40, people are sometimes surprised to find out that I LOVE drum n bass, hardcore techno, gabber, rap, hiphop and dance (but PLEASE don't assume I also like dubstep - to me that's drum n base for the over 90's with zimmer frames! :ohmy: ).

Having said that, I've loved ABBA since I was 3 years old and I'm sure I always will - nothing like a bit of cheesy pop :) Or Dolly Parton for that matter!

Non- electronic dance-wise I would pay to go and see Mumford and Sons at the mo, and possibly Paolo Nutini. :)

The best gigs I ever went to were Mano Negra, which I can only describe as happy punk. I'd love to go and see them again, and I'd be jumping up and down just as much as (too) many moons ago!

And as my ancient, non-DAB radio won't receive Radio One anymore in the kitchen, I've now found Rock Radio, and boy does that bring back good memories of the 1990's when I was a total rock chick and went to every single hardrock/metal gig I could get tickets for. Thoroughly enjoyed listening to an Iron Maiden special a few days ago, and I'm contemplating getting their latest album....

On a nice quiet evening, however, I might feel all "growed up" and listen to Ella Fitzgerald.

How's that for a varied taste in music :wacko:

Lots of classic heavy rock mixed with psychadelia, Southern Rock like Blackfoot, Molly Hatchett etc etc

English Folk, Gilbert and Sullivan Operetta, Opera especially Verdi, Baroque especially Telemann and John Dowland, Gregorian Chant type stuff, some Country especially Johnny Cash

I love Bluegrass, 1930's danceband, the Andrews sisters,

At the moment loving Fleet foxes

Mainly I like Punk, New Wave and Rock, but I also have a fondness for classical and Country and Western, you can't beat a bit of Glen Campbell.guitar.gif

( when I say Punk, I mean proper original stuff, not what passes for Punk nowadays, except The Sex Pistols, never did like them )

Iam 27 years old and i really enjoy brass band music and orchestral music. I belong to a bras band so that has alot to do with it. I really enjoyed listening to that msic you put up in the first post.

I am pretty open to most music to be honest, i like alot of the old 70's and 80's music, not too keen on all this dance music stuff tho.

My musical tastes are very very varied.

some of you may know I am a big fan of industrial metal from the likes of Rammstein and Combichrist and pretty much the whole NWOBHM thing that happened with Iron maiden, Saxon, Deep Purple etc etc etc (as well as the Levellers of course who are most defnately not metal but are one of my fav bands e.v.a.)

I'm a big Rammstein fan too and found it highly amusing when the BBC played Du Hast to introduce Germany during the world cup. Industrial metal and the BBC just don't go hand in hand!

My dad was in a punk band during the 70's and used to play a lot of punk and ska when I was growing up, so that had a big influence on my musical tastes. I remember having a sticker of The Clash on my lunch box when I was in infants school, which was the late 80's when everybody else was listening to Michael Jackson, Madonna etc- so my peers definitely didn't consider me to be very cool! rolleyes.gif

Once I had reached junior school the whole grunge scene of the early 90's was really taking off so I was listening to the likes of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Hole, Bikini Kill etc. I also started listening to Metallica and Anthrax around the same time, and kind of went down the metal route after that. The first band that I saw live was Nine Inch Nails when I was thirteen. My mum took me and two of my friends as a birthday present and I don't think she was quite prepared for it! laugh.gif Bless her.

These days I mainly listen to heavy metal and a bit of punk and hardcore (not to be mistaken for 'happy hardcore'!). If I'm feeling adventurous I might listen to some rockabilly or indie. I love Johnny Cash and occasionally northern soul, but I don't think I could claim to have varied tastes. I HATE dance music, techno, garage, house, garage etc. I'm not a fan of modern R'n'B, disco or pop music either to be honest- I really struggle at weddings! laugh.gif