UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

It Shouldn'T Happen At A Vets

Laura_E

Just watched it on iplayer. I felt so sorry for the man that lost his lurcher mecry.gifI don't know much about cancer in dogs, but I would have thought if the vet had detected it early enough (when the man himself pointed out the spots on the x-rays) then the dog would have had a good chance of still being here. That is far more devastating than the way he tried to rip him off with unnecessary treatments.

I did find it quite strange that Jeremy Vine said "it is important to state that at no point did our under cover reporter witness any cruelty" and then in the next scene that wretched boy hit the poor shar pei. If that's not cruelty, what is? I can't imagine how the owners must be feeling after seeing that footage. I wonder if there will be any reprisals for the staff involved. There will be a lot of angry people out there.

Also, not sure how I felt about them getting their blood supplies from the dogs in the greyhound rescue centre. Does that happen a lot? unsure.gif

I didn't quite get the thing with the rescued greyhounds. Pretty sure the rescue(s) involved would not have participated if they weren't getting something out of it?

We all know many rescues are run on a shoestring and that the greyhound rescues struggle to kennel all the dogs they are asked to take much of the time : if as Medivet say, the rescue is getting vaccs, worming, healthchecks, food and help with kennelling costs in return for the blood giving, and the dogs are rehomed promptly rather than being kept as blood donors (which I believe does happen in some places) I can't really see a problem with this. wacko.gif

I'm not sure how I feel about the blood doner bit, Louie gave blood at the vet hospital once, and he wasn't in the least bit bothered, even though they did take it from his jugular, I guess as long as the dogs used didn't get distressed it's ok.

Their information was wrong though about Medivet pioneering dog blood doners, The Holly Trust started it about 15 years ago, they started a data base of suitable dogs who's owners were willing to have their dogs donate blood, no charge, just the desire to help dogs in need.

Medivet are the chain I suspected it would be about.

Quite a few of my friends have complained about the bills they have incurred from our local branch for unnecessary treatments. But I suppose it's important to try and remain objective. unsure.gif

The profession could and should be more transparent about prescription policies. Most pet owners are unaware of their legal rights with regard to prescription medicines for their pets and are losing out financially as a result.

During a veterinary consultation, if a prescription medicine is recommended as a treatment, a prescription should be offered by the vet as an alternative to purchasing the medications from the surgery. By law this prescription can then be fulfilled by any vet, pharmacist or, usually more economically, by an online veterinary pharmacy.

In many cases pet owners are being engineered into spending far more than is actually necessary by getting treatment for their pets from their local veterinary surgery.

Veterinary prescriptions are charged at a "reasonable fee" which may be as much as £20 and certainly more than the real cost of the treatment. Many vets further exploit pet owners by insisting on one prescription per medication or refusing to allow repeats. Both these tactics are unprofessional and little short of extortion where one prescription could easily cover all medications required, with repeats marked for a maximum of six months.

In the case of animals with a lifetime condition this can create a massive and unnecessary financial burden for the pet owner while the veterinary practice reaps the benefit.

Very often it is the animals that suffer when owners cannot afford to continue with prescription medications or veterinary diets. If veterinary surgeries are encouraged to act in line with legal requirements to practise an open and fair prescription policy, then pet owners can explore alternative options for their fulfilment. By shopping around, particularly at online sites (such as www.vetuk.co.uk), owners can access significantly better value medications and special dietary foods for their pets, with the added advantage of delivery to home.

The fact that this issue is not being addressed indicates a complete lack of owners' understanding of procedures in the veterinary profession which many practices are exploiting to the detriment of the very animals they purport to treat.

Edited by ayjaybee

With most special diets that owners get from a vet, most can be replaced by a commercial brand, my dogs are on a sensitive diet, both Joe and Merlin had to be, my dogs get Burgess Supadog Sensitive which is a lot cheaper than what I would have to pay the vet. There are other makes of sensitive dog food which are dearer.

You do need to research the dog food and understand what your dog needs and don't need before putting them on another food but it can be done. I know from Merlin when he was diagnosed with the early stages of renal failure, my vet was happy to leave him on Burgess Sensitive if I found out what the phosphorus rate was, it was .1%, low enough for him to stay on it.

I don't think it is necessarily that owners don't know, but that some vets are being obstructive.

One vet has been reported as insisting on a monthly consultation, at a cost,before issuing a prescription. His justification is that he needs to ensure that the product dispensed by the online pharmacy is the correct one at the correct dose.

However, if he is supplying the medicine then a monthly consultation is not needed.

Guess what, overall cost works out the same for both options.

Also, not sure how I felt about them getting their blood supplies from the dogs in the greyhound rescue centre. Does that happen a lot? unsure.gif

I think greyhounds are used quite a lot as blood donors, because a) they are large enough and b) they tend to be placid so blood can fairly easily be taken.

Having had a dog which required several blood transfusions, I did look into the possibility of donating from one or more of my lot, but they were all too small (the heaviest is 20kg).

I think greyhounds are used quite a lot as blood donors, because a) they are large enough and b) they tend to be placid so blood can fairly easily be taken.

Having had a dog which required several blood transfusions, I did look into the possibility of donating from one or more of my lot, but they were all too small (the heaviest is 20kg).

I guess it just seemed a bit exploitative. They said on the program that they charge customers something in the range of £160 a pint, but the vaccination and worming treatments that the rescue receive in return for the blood donations are equal to less than £40.

• Like 1

A very disturbing programme and like others I was sickened by the cruelty I saw.

Regarding greys being used as blood donors, my 2 have been blood donors for a few years and given 11 donations each. One time Rudy's blood was literally whisked away to be used in an emergency. They both donated last week, they get plenty of fuss, treats and food and a toy each. They have an annual blood screen with a full haematology and biochemistry profile, which gives me peace of mind and a basic blood screen and check-up at each donation. Of course PBB (Pet blood Bank) http://www.petbloodbankuk.org/ where my 2 donate and who were featured on the programme have to cover costs but I know I would be very grateful to dog blood donors if one of my dogs needed blood in an emergency, I honestly don't believe my dogs are being exploited in any way. Our local RGT kennels have PBB to them for the rescue dogs to give blood and the dogs are not streesed at all, in fact they seem to love the fuss & attention. My daughter worked for PBB for a short time on work experience and they never allow a stressed or frightened dog to donate. The first time Caleb went he was a bit anxious, so they didn't take his blood, the second time and each time since he has been fine. I did talk to a Panorama jornalist while my dogs were giving blood on one occasion, but my comments weren't used on the pogramme. Medivet charge owners £160 per pint of blood which is outrageous, PBB do not charge this much.