UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Poor Gus Cat

Gemstone

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had our old chicken go down with fly strike on the 25th June. She always was a Mrs messy bottom, and unless you keep her feathers trimmed she can look messy. Somehow, she got an ulcer that attracted a fly! Luckily we had decided to give her bottom a shampoo and trim, but too late she had already suffered a degree of fly strike. I am not good with maggots, and OH then had the job of doing the saline solution baths for I think a minimum of 8 minutes. I rang the vet, and he had just left, so the nurses didn't know what to do, so whilst I was on the 'phone I Googled and found that a good soak of sea salt can help. I suppose it is antiseptic anyway for the sake of the wound.

I spent a very worried evening and night, but we managed to get a slot in the vets the next morning. I couldn't wait to get there, so she could be helped. He said a fresh lot of eggs had hatched out very recently, and removed those. Finally she had an anti biotic and a quick spray of kitten Frontline, just delicately like a special perfume! Just had to post in case anyone else has a chicken with a messy bum!

I am sorry to hear your sad news, and I think you were very responsible to know when she had to leave you. Take care, and take heart that this sad story will help someone else who may suffer from the same fate in this warm weather. She has not died in vain. Take care.

• 1 month later...