UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Urgent!

Lizzie

Help!

A friend has just rung me in bits, the police have been to see him about a rambler crossing his land that has been nipped by one of his dogs. He knows this guy, also he knows that he will be back within the next couple of days to see if he has "disposed" of hs dogs.

I need contact numbers for Springer Spaniel Rescue and Wiemeraner Rescue organisations or some decent advice for him.

EDDR have a free Helpline for dog-related legal issues, they might be able to advise:

http://www.endangereddogs.com/

The police can't order your friend to destroy his dogs, only the courts could do that. If the bite took place on the owner's own land then it may not be covered by the DDA and would then be up to the person who was bitten to bring a civil action - but he really needs to get proper advice on that.

If this is the first time the dogs have bitten and if it really was a nip rather than a more serious attack and if he shows that he's taking action to make sure it can't happen again (ie keeping the dog confined to a safe area or muzzling if appropriate) then there's a good chance it won't go any further.

But make sure they dont con him with porkies or suggestions along the lines "well the easiest thing all around" . Nothing must be signed or anything done "voluntary", or anything handed over no matter how much pressure or threats are made. If they cant sort it straight away , (if its a country area) they will go over the time allocation and forget it.

And dont forget to say there will be counter sueing for trespass , crimiminal damage to property and cruelty to dogs plus a larrge amount of damages for the upset ( ie in pieces) Plohkers will usually back down when they hear this.

Edited by lester

Hi

Just wanted to add that a friend of mine was in a similar situation recently. Her dog escaped from the house and nipped a neighbour who reported her to the police. The neighbour also lied and added that her dog had attacked another dog which wasn't even remotely true. The police did get in touch with my friend, but this seemed to be more a formality than anything else and they didn't take it any further and were satisfied that she was taking appropriate steps to manage her dogs behaviour and this was a one off.

Did the rambler have a right to be there? Coz if not, just the mere mention of "trespassing" might send him packing. Bestest thoughts for your friend, it sounds like an absolutely horrid situation to be in - the nightmare of any caring dog owner :GroupHug:

Did the rambler have a right to be there? Coz if not, just the mere mention of "trespassing" might send him packing. Bestest thoughts for your friend, it sounds like an absolutely horrid situation to be in - the nightmare of any caring dog owner :GroupHug:

Yes Billy, they have a right of way through their property, very close to the house. None of their dogs have been any problem before, I think the "professional rambler" as he calls himself, must have provoked one of them. :( No other walkers using the path have complained.

"professional rambler"

Says it all really. Are there any signs of a concerted programme or any organisation by dog haters? ( this could be construed as a conspiracy) I am all for access to the land and the right to roam but dont like to see it hijacked by the AntidogTaliban.