UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Polling Station Do'S And Dont'S

blackmagic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8661984.stm

But voting is a serious business. So just what can and can't you do in a polling station?

CAN I BRING MY PETS WITH ME TO VOTE?

Dogs may not yet be entitled to vote but they are allowed to come and watch as long as they don't disrupt the vote. According to previous guidance issued by the Electoral Commission, dogs must be in an "accompanying" role rather than "free-range".

In cases where a voter has two or more dogs and will struggle to control them while casting their ballot, polling station staff may hold the dogs' leads. Rural constituencies might have cases of voters riding to the polling station. In such cases, horses and ponies should be tethered up outside. There is no guidance on other animals such as rabbits, ferrets or pot-bellied pigs, so any decision will be at the discretion of presiding officers.

:ohmy: I never realised polling stations were dogfriendly! Ours is just a dog walk away, but I've always driven cos it seems like a waste to walk that far without a hound!

If they don't get a result from this one and end up calling another one in a few weeks, I shall take Az to help me vote! (I think Mollydog might be a bit riotous for democracy, and also her leg is playing up again...)

... Oi, Teg! Your dogs are wearing rosettes! I hope this means they are standing as candidates...

" The only people permitted to wear a rosette are the candidates and their polling agents. The rosette must be plain and not refer to the candidate or bear a slogan. Neither can they be too big." :laugh:

... Oi, Teg! Your dogs are wearing rosettes! I hope this means they are standing as candidates...

" The only people permitted to wear a rosette are the candidates and their polling agents. The rosette must

Yes, as "Even A Dog Could Run This Country Better Party" wink.gif

PS. The rosettes actually say "2nd" on themlaugh.gif

Edited by tegk68

Our Polling Station backs onto the park so when I voted there 2 years ago i took Louie but waited outside when my Mum voted. The PO saw me and said it was no problem to bring him in and then we took him for a run. Now I work in Electoral Services I have to have a postal vote.

• 2 weeks later...