UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

May R M F

Wendbert

My dogs are going to send me mental.....

Talyn has been growing in confidence, so now he thinks it's funny to drop his ball into a place where he deems it is "ungettable" and bark until someone retireves it for him. I've been ignoring him or telling him to get it himself since he mostly can, so now he is putting it in places where I don't want him to get it himself - like in the middle of the coffee table by the glasses/candles/whatever - little sod :glare: I'm now only getting it if he stares at me quietly.

Have had all the dogs in and out of my room today, since Khanu needs acclimatising with Talyn around me - they are fine when I'm not about (but watching through the patio door). Had Talyn in the crate as he was running around dementedly so then he starts barking whenever another dog comes over to me. So now I'm rewarding quiet behaviour in his crate. Then OH starts winding up the other dogs so Syd starts barking, then Talyn joins in etc etc.

All in all I'm about ready to leave the lot of them to it. OH has gone upstairs now as "the dogs are too bloody noisy" (yes that would be you, you arse!). I've got Talyn in with me in an attempt to calm him down and the others shut out of this room so they can't all wind each other up. Only next door has got his lawn mower out so Syd is barking at that now :wacko:

God I hope they all settle down soon I'm not sure I can take it, and before the neighbours start complaining about the noise.

Oh she'll use the leg all right! That's kind of the problem, she isn't in the least bit protective of it, she'll go 'BOING' up 3 feet into the porch without using the steps, or take off madly around the house or garden doing 'Mollydog's greatest races' or she'll stand up on her hind legs to wrestle with Az or just to bounce like a loon while yodelling. Or she'll decided to demonstrate to a dog 7 years younger with 4 working legs that actually he's MUCH slower than her (she's such a flirt, and she's convinced all the boys like a fast girl). rolleyes.gifohmy.gif Then afterwards she goes 'Oh yeah - I forgot, THAT REALLY HURTS!' and walks on 3 legs briefly until she forgets again. You should see the muscles on that injured leg, it's like she's just walked off the track with them!

She wrenched it last week, I think either playing with Az, or boinging sideways (on lead) after a squirrel, but the main problem is that she's got these blood blisters over the area where the implants are, and they keep swelling up and bursting. They seem to hurt most when they are swelling, it's better once they burst. We're not sure if she's actually rejecting the implants, or if it's just that having screws, wire, pins etc inside her leg while she's using it to do pirouettes is just catching on things and causing bleeding. unsure.gif

Short of crating her for the rest of her life, which is obviously not a reasonable option* , I can't stop her using that leg fairly intensively. Lead walking doesn't help at all, she just gets louder and more rumbustious and leaps about inside the house to compensate, and little Mr Lurcher thinks it's all terrific fun and eggs her on!

* velcro her to the floor possibly...? I'm tempted...

Yeah that does sound a lot like Nog when he had the plate - then he was using the leg exactly as you described Molly doing - if you remember he was boinging about leaping up onto the treatment table at the hospital and dragging the vets across the waiting room floor and rearing up on his hind legs both of them wacko.gif which he wasn't supposed to do at all. The muscle wasteage only happened after the 2nd op for the removal of the plate when he was forbidden any exercise and then when he was allowed to restart he was already weak in that leg because of the muscle loss and simply decided not to use it. Molly's blood blisters could well be from the pins & plate rubbing from the inside - that too was a problem with Nog the skin is so thin over the hock and leg bones and there's no tissue padding, his wounds refused to heal at all and only finally closed once the plate was removed. Now he has a big calcium callous just in front of the hock which is where the bones have fused and healed solid, theres no soft tissue there at all just solid bone.

Nog STILL boings, pirouettes, pounces, tear arses around like a loon rarring madly, leaps up and down from the bed or back of the car and manages to take the stairs in huge leaps clearing 3 or 4 at a time but he does so using mainly 3 legs, his injured leg WILL support him and until the incident with the 2 dogs he was using it for all the above just not walking on it. Since then he had quit using it altogether (but was still carrying on with the boinging etc) I say "had" because in the past day or so he's started to use the leg again but only when he feels like it, theres no rhyme nor reason behind whether he does or doesn't for example yesterday at my mums he used it then didn't then used it then didn't, today he spent the afternoon hopping round like a rabbit right up until the moment he walked off our path onto the pavement for his evening walk when he suddenly put it down and did the entire walk on 4 legs, yet when he came back indoors he went back to 3 legged hopping wacko.gif tomorrow he might well decide it doesn't work again and do the whole walk 3 legged rolleyes.gif

I did manage to get some video of him yesterday which I'll upload later and you can see what I mean laugh.gif it's flipping frustrating!

:GroupHug: for Mollydog. Polly has cheered up after a painkiller shot and is now on a different AB and also back on the Cystaid. Her tummy was very sore and she squeaked and struggled while being examined :mecry: Her temp was up as well. But she ate all her supper and seems to be improving already.

Alex . have been deliberating over this for a week now. There is a 2 or 3 year old grey merle bitch possibly up for rehoming near me. I didn't know if I should mention it or not to you. She is well trained and a nice dog. Very biddable. Owner has buggered off with new woman and I've been told ex wants rid...................

Good afternoon from dogstars and TAPAs field clinic , today we are in a very urban area with areas of intense poverty

Very positive response from owners and had queues all morning, we have also been out in a van treating street dogs ( after catching them in nets ) these are dogs that would never get to clinics

Yeah that does sound a lot like Nog when he had the plate - then he was using the leg exactly as you described Molly doing - if you remember he was boinging about leaping up onto the treatment table at the hospital and dragging the vets across the waiting room floor and rearing up on his hind legs both of them wacko.gif which he wasn't supposed to do at all. The muscle wasteage only happened after the 2nd op for the removal of the plate when he was forbidden any exercise and then when he was allowed to restart he was already weak in that leg because of the muscle loss and simply decided not to use it. Molly's blood blisters could well be from the pins & plate rubbing from the inside - that too was a problem with Nog the skin is so thin over the hock and leg bones and there's no tissue padding, his wounds refused to heal at all and only finally closed once the plate was removed. Now he has a big calcium callous just in front of the hock which is where the bones have fused and healed solid, theres no soft tissue there at all just solid bone.

It sounds like Nog had more problems healing than Molls, poor chap, I'm not surprised he's decided to be a bit protective of that leg (anyway, who needs 4 legs when you can boing just as well on 3!)

If Molls were younger, I think I'd probably go for the op and have the metalwork removed - but she's 11 in September, and the front leg on the same side is already knackered (racing injury) so I'm kind of hoping to be able to just manage it. It would help if she would agree to behave in a slightly more sedate older-greyhound way rather than indulging in attacks of the zoomies!

Good afternoon from dogstars and TAPAs field clinic , today we are in a very urban area with areas of intense poverty

Very positive response from owners and had queues all morning, we have also been out in a van treating street dogs ( after catching them in nets ) these are dogs that would never get to clinics

Goodness, that sounds difficult! How do you catch a street dog in a net? (have mental vision of cartoon Sam with giant butterfly net... )

:wavey: Sam. Another that has got you running around with a giant butterfly net!!laugh.gif

RMverystrangeF. Last night was the first time I took Blue on the usual woodland walk. (Have been going other places) I could hear dog tags jingling and they weren't Blues. No other people or dogs around and they were on my right side where Lucy used to walk. Took it as a sign that she was safe and well and enjoying herself at the bridge. Found it strangely calming, as she hadn't been able to do that walk for a while.

Am listening to this radio program about placebos : http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/placebo.shtml It's fascinating!

Apparently blue sugar pills (with no active ingredients) are more effective at genuinely helping people feel calmer than red coloured ones, and 4 sugar pills a day are measurably better at controlling pain than 1 ! The mind is an amazing thing. ohmy.gif

:wavey: Sam. Another that has got you running around with a giant butterfly net!!laugh.gif

RMverystrangeF. Last night was the first time I took Blue on the usual woodland walk. (Have been going other places) I could hear dog tags jingling and they weren't Blues. No other people or dogs around and they were on my right side where Lucy used to walk. Took it as a sign that she was safe and well and enjoying herself at the bridge. Found it strangely calming, as she hadn't been able to do that walk for a while.

Thats lovely to hear, so how did Blue react??

Thats lovely to hear, so how did Blue react??

Very calm on the walk. But a lot more whiney as we went to leave. He didn't want to get in the car. Seemed more depressed last night and kept wanting to go into the garden and it seemed as if he was searching for something/one.