UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Strange Re Homing Request

one.eyed.dog

Lottie and I have been visiting an old peoples home and the manager mentioned she would like a resident dog. Something old, not to big and very laid back to live there.

Would a rescue re home to this circumstance? If so, is there anything someone can post that I can print out to take in next time we visit please?

I did point out that if the dog is old that the rescue sometimes covers the vet fee's but, am not sure so any info would be great. flowers.gif

I think there would need to be one person who would be the official owner and would take responsibility for the dog - routine healthcare, making sure it wasn't overfed or underfed, and who would take responsibility if for any reason the home became an unsuitable place for the dog to live, or if the dog got injured or bit someone.

Problem tends to be that for really bomb proof healthy calm easy dogs that would fit in such an environment, there are very often other home offers that seem like they offer the dog more. There is of course always a surplus of insecure dogs that don't get on with everything, or with a few minor problems that need retraining, but they probably wouldn't be suitable for this sort of setup: so although it's not a complete nono, they may struggle to actually find a dog that suits.

Edited by cycas

A nursing home near me is looking for a dog in response to a petition from the residents. They're after a young dog though, hoping that it won't need to much in the way of vets fees.

I took a friend's yorkie pups in to see the residents where I work a couple of weeks ago and all the residents thought it was wonderful. It would be so good for them to have an animal around. They are technically allowed to take their own pets in with them but they have look after them themselves and if they're ill enough to need nursing care they're not well enough to look after a pet.

I think it would be wonderful to have a resident animal in a care home. Pat dogs are great but having someone around all the time would really brighten their lives. I'm sure there's a way round this. Good luck with it.

Would it be right to presume they wont want to travel far to meet / collect a dog, so it needs to be a local rescue?

Does a small dog present more of a hazard (in terms of tripping over) to residents?

I knew of a home that took in a lady and her lovely natured Gsd for a short time (her back legs were going, probably CDRM I suspect though I only saw her twice before vet advised to pts) & think it's a nice idea for all if the right dog can be matched.

Good luck

A nursing home near me is looking for a dog in response to a petition from the residents. They're after a young dog though, hoping that it won't need to much in the way of vets fees.

Um, can see an obvious worry there - if they are adopting a young dog hoping it will be cheap to run, what happens to it when it becomes old and expensive?

And if they are getting a young dog in the hope that it will be healthy, do they realise the need to deal with routine things like checking nails and ears and teeth, grooming, skin problems, exercise ?

Oldies Club takes in so many dogs that are a right old mess because the routine stuff has just been ignored and the dog has been treated like it's just a mobile mouth attached to a pair of cute eyes and ears... unsure.gif

I'm not saying it's a bad idea for care homes to have dogs: in fact I think it's a great idea, but I do think it does need to be properly thought out and planned.

A nursing home a couple of streets away from me used to have a live in lab, all the staff were responsible for her welfare, from what I remember they used to have regular coffee mornings to raise funds for food and vet treatment, they had quite a health bank balance so I've been told. When the old girl died the residents were all very upset.

Terri

I think nothing bigger than spanial sized but not smaller than westie size. Lottie is big 25" but, saying that when I walked in a voice shouted across reception "Thats not a German Shepherd" at which point the manager said "well, I knew it was a German something" Point being that they were not fazed about a GSD being a visiting dog.

I'll speak to her and see what she says. I don't want to push it incase it puts her off. I did mention there was an ancient JRT on here a while ago and she was well interested. They want old as old means sedade.

I did say they could buy the food from wholesalers and as there are a good few residents in the home I am sure there will be plenty leftovers of good quality that the dog could eat.

Some of the old peoples faces truely lit up when Lottie entered the room. It was so nice to see.

What about suggesting to them that one of the staff members is the official person but that they help out by fostering dogs - then they can all become involved but ultimately there is rescue back-up should the staff member leave (plus with all the visitors in and out it could help spread the word about the behind the scenes work rescues need).

tough to become a fosterer and be guaranteed bomb proof dogs.

i know of an rspca branch that does a fostering scheme for older dogs, i think they charge £5 na month but they pay vet fees or subsidised vet fees or something. must be other places that do the same. Suspect as others have said tho there would need to be someone accepting overall responsibility for the dog.

Whereabouts is this home? You might be best talking to local rescues who could send someone round to assess the situation for themselves.

There are a few rescues who offer to pay vets bills for older dogs (Dogs Trust do this for some of their oldies). If there was a proper system in place to make sure the dog was properly cared for and a named person was taking responsibility for his/her care then it could be a lovely situation for the right dog with lots of fuss and pretty much constant company.