UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

"Hundreds Treated For Dog Bites"

BillyMalc

Nope - it's not the Daily Hate Mail, it's the BBC! Will have to look for an address to complain to these ill informed idiots! :mad: :mad:

Dog bites do NOT equal dog attacks! Every single injury caused by an animal needs to be registered as such. So if muppet here holds a stick up for dog to grab and muppet dog misses the stick but grabs hand instead and strips it of skin (ouch! It has happened! :wacko:) then it will also be registered as an attack! If all these attacks were for real we'd have hospital wards full of maimed and dying people! Gets me so cross these ill informed useless articles!! :mad: :mad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/8597356.stm

Hundreds treated after dog bites on Merseyside

More than 1,500 people were treated in hospitals on Merseyside in 2009 after being attacked by dogs, figures obtained by the BBC have revealed.

The total number is equivalent to almost 30 people a week.

Cases at some hospitals have doubled at some of the region's hospital in the last 10 years, including Whiston and Warrington.

Dr Dave Geggie, a consultant at Warrington Hospital said: "We are seeing more and more of these cases."

He added: "It does impact on our time. Sometimes these bites can require some time-consuming treatment as well.

Status dogs

"They can obviously be very serious. Fatalities have been known from dog bites. It is a problem which ranges from fairly minor and just requires some antibiotics to more major."

At Whiston Hospital, cases have risen from 60 to 175 from 2000 to 2009, a Freedom of Information request revealed.

The increase prompted staff to look into the cases. They found that much of the rise was among children aged under 10 and adults aged 40 to 45.

They also found that status dogs, such as pitbull-types or rottweilers, were to blame for the vast majority of the attacks.

Interesting.... this is the hospital that me or my staff would go to when we are bitten. Its been a while admitedly, but on the forms, there is a small box for what caused the injury where the nurses write dog bite. There is no where, nor have any of us ever been asked what type of dog. How can the BBC collate details on breed that bit when the nurses dont even ask? knobheads :mad:

tbh when i got chomped i was asked what type of dog it was.

big labrador type crossbreed iirc... my memory was kind of hazy at the time

but yeah with an election looming this is possibly just the thin end of a wedge.

:unsure: in future then i shall just say animal bite and give me my antibiotics please..... i went to the hospital when i seperated 2 dogs fighting (i know..don't stick your hands in :rolleyes: ) i was asked whose dog it was.... it was mine that bit me, the lad seemed quite shocked when i said i deserved it for being so bl**dy stupid :laugh: i hope i didn't get written up as a dog attack.... it was a bitten finger and wasn't all that bad except the fact i couldn't stop the blood a dog attack it certainly wasn't :angry:

The BBC I think is particularly likely to come out with this sort of crud, and particularly likely to ignore any attempt to contact them or express concern.

I'm not a big fan of the Daily Mail, but I'll give them this, they've done a number of pro-dog stories lately, and one can at least comment on their news stories online, so if they are blatently wrong, it's generally possible to say so.

Whereas the BBC don't allow commenting so this sort of crud is easy for them to put out to large audiences without any kind of contrary voice. angry.gif

We had a local paper story saying something similar about Plymouth recently, so I checked the figures for people who went into hospital after assaults by human beings in the same area for the same period (which were orders of magnitude greater) and posted those in a comment.

I broke my finger when I had both dogs' leads wrapped round my hand and some twerp thought it was a good idea to call them over for a stroke. The dogs were adolescent hooligans at the time and behaved like it. They dragged me over to say hello to the twerp and my finger caught in the leads and snapped.

I didn't realise that it was recorded as a dog bite until my SIL who was with me at A&E told me later. So it's possible that any injury caused by a dog could be recorded as a bite. :rolleyes: