UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Low Blood Sugar

reds

As far as I'm aware I'm not diabetic so am 'assuming' this is "normal" - this is where Fugees come in!!

If I haven't eaten properly, say gone without lunch or dinner for whatever reason then after a few hours I feel very sick, hot, physically shake and feel like I'm about to pass out. I feel fine after I've eaten but feels awful at the time.

Is this what people mean (in general not specifically referring to diabetics) by saying their blood sugar is low?

Thank you!

As far as I'm aware I'm not diabetic so am 'assuming' this is "normal" - this is where Fugees come in!!

If I haven't eaten properly, say gone without lunch or dinner for whatever reason then after a few hours I feel very sick, hot, physically shake and feel like I'm about to pass out. I feel fine after I've eaten but feels awful at the time.

Is this what people mean (in general not specifically referring to diabetics) by saying their blood sugar is low?

Thank you!

It's what I mean, certainly. I have to eat something like cheese or eggs - something savoury and full of protein - as soon as possible; never sugary stuff, because that makes it worse.

I am very careful never to go too long without eating something sensible, because it really is horrible when it happens.

That happens to me too, it's a horrible feeling isn't it. I will actually faint unless I sit down and eat something, but as Scotslass says, preferably not something sweet.

I eat about every 3-4 hours and try to eat plenty of slow release carbs which seems to help. My friends laugh at me because I've always got an Emergency Banana in my bag :rolleyes:

I've always thought of it as low blood sugar too, but I'm just guessing.

This happened to my nephew. He played a lot of sport, e.g. tennis in the morning, golf in the afternoon and football at night.

On occasions, he would come in and flop down on the couch with no energy left. His standby was a Mars bars, which revived him quickly.

Have to say I must go against the grain then, there have been a few

saturdays or sundays where I have had several cups of tea all day but not

actually eaten anything until tea time despite being up and out early.

I have always become very irritable and snappy (understatement) when I

feel my blood sugar levels are low, but never faint...

Perhaps I am just a bit odd :huh:

Edited by Laurel n Hardy

Hypoglycaemia can cause some or all of the following symptoms:

* paleness

* trembling

* perspiration

* a feeling of weakness

* rapid heartbeat

* hunger

* agitation

* difficulty concentrating

* irritability

* fatigue

* blurred vision

* temporary loss of consciousness

* convulsions

* coma.

I have always become very irritable and snappy (understatement) when I

feel my blood sugar levels are low, but never faint...

Perhaps I am just a bit odd :huh:

I am the same, it is known as grumpy hungry in our house and OH now knows to stay well clear until i've eaten, the black cloud magically dissapears. Maybe we are both odd :laugh:

This happens to my 20 year old daughter. The doctor told her she suffers with Hypoglycaemia, but she isn't diabetic. She has an emergency supply of food for when she feels faint and dizzy. Sugar is a quick fix, but carbs are longer lasting.

I'm definitely not diabetic either - I've been tested.

I find that taking sugary snacks when I'm in that state actually makes things worse - I have to eat some form of protein.

I often used to have an episode if I went without "proper" food for 4 or 5 hours and ate cake or some other carbohydrate (coffee and cake on a car journey, say, instead of lunch), so I carry cheese, bananas or slices of chicken, if I am going to be out and don't know when I'll be able to eat again. It's very boring, but better than the alternative.

In 'normal' people their blood sugar doesn't go down just because they haven't eaten. Instead they start to burn stores of glycogen and fat and maintain a remarkably even blood sugar level.

If your insulin production system is not too hot, you can end up with hypoglycaemia. The main way to control it is through diet - diets high in protein, vegetables and complex carbs are the best - ie the ones we evolved to eat!

Caffeine and food high in sugar and simple carbs raise blood sugar sharply and cause a surge of insulin, which then brings your blood sugar down below normal. Then you crave more sugar or caffeine and the cycle is established.

For reasons not well understood, regular exercise also helps prevent hypoglycaemia.

Hypoglycaemia (or regularly getting into that state) is recognised as being a precursor to diabetes, so its well worth doing something to make sure it doesn't occur.

In summary, drop the caffeine and junk food, exercise more or look forward to diabetes, with all its attentand horrors and risks.

Thanks for that, I didn't realise caffeine had that effect. I will have to think about giving it up. Gulp.

I've never been able to drink much caffeine - one weak coffee and a weak tea a day is my limit. My diet has always been good, I am pretty fit for my age, and I was always slim despite a hearty appetite - less so, now that I am in me 60s. :mecry: :laugh:

If I eat nothing at all (for a number of hours I mean), I am not so bad. It's when I eat sugary, carbohydrate-based snacks that the problems start. Afternoon tea, with lovely cakes - instead of lunch - is not an option. :mecry:

Thanks for that, I didn't realise caffeine had that effect. I will have to think about giving it up. Gulp.

Sadly, that's partly how caffeine works - feel tired and low?, boost your blood sugar with caffeine. Trouble is that then the insulin kicks in, and bang, you feel tired and low again. Never mind, have another cuppa. Of course its also a CNS stimulant, and that effect lasts rather longer.

Guess what I am addicted to? Caffeine (well, honestly? what is the point of tea or coffee without? I feel cheated with every decaff cup!) and sugar! Because for that short time they make you feel better. Intellectually I know that its not helpful, but at the animal level, there's nothing else, given that I don't do recreational drugs!