UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Scary Dog Walk

houndzrus

Just back from a walk with Keith and the dogs. All was well until almost home and we were walking along the next street to ours, intending to walk up to the common and back. We spotted a GSD on the corner of the road ahead so we decided not to walk past it and Keith crossed the road walking away from it. I followed with Cherry, next thing there was an almighty GRRR and much pounding on the road. I turned and it was upon us like lightening. i screamed (Can't help it, always do when unexpected things happen) and turned round to face it. It halted, then lunged at Cherry, snarling and baring it's teeth, so I shouted NO and put Cherry behind me. Although this all happened very quickly, time seemed to stand still and we were still in the middle of the road! Luckily, Jack didn't growl or bark either, then the GSD's owner(?) called him back.

The GSD looked back and then decided he would run across the road away from his owner, who continued to call him back. The dog was quite spooked by this time and then ran back across the road, at the T junction, straight in front of a car! Luckily it was going really slowly because of turning because the GSD ran into the front wing. No damage to the car or dog thankfully.

The owner took the dog off in the opposite direction so we waited a bit then continued on our way. We met them once more as they had doubled back and the owner shouted his apologies across the road. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that the dog had slipped his lead, i think it was a shock for him to see his dog hit the car too. I'm just glad Cherry didn't get attacked, she might be a bit mouthy at times, but she is no fighter, she was petrified and almost "stuck" to my leg after that.

My legs were like jelly for a while too. Keith was preparing to welly in if the dog had started fighting, but it wasn't necessary this time.