UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Best Natural Food For Cats?

sparkle

Hey all knowing Fugees :wavey:

Sparks keeps on being sick :unsure: :( not ALL the time but at least once a week, other than this she is absolutely fine and showing no signs of being under the weather, it is just liquid/odd bit of food not hair balls ...

In any case at the moment she is on a mixture of GoCat indoor dry food and GoCat duck dry food with the odd wet pouch here and there (Whiskers) she isn't sick after any particular food so I think I just need to put her on a dry natural food and was hoping a Fugee could suggest one??

Many thanks!

EllieSparkle xx

Edited by sparkle

Oh yes, been there. Go for a higher grade food, it makes all the difference!

My older cats are on James Wellbeloved dry light/senior fish, and the younger ones are currently having Meowing Heads Salmon: both of those seem to be pretty good, and the Meowing Heads is surprisingly cheap.

However, the problem with feeding cats just dry food is that they often don't drink enough to go with it: cats seem to be designed to get a lot of their liquid from food. Definitely worth doing everything you can to encourage drinking - fountains, multiple bowls in different spots etc.

If you want a wet food, Applaws is about as good as you can get, but expensive. Forthglade do a cat-and-dog naturediet style meat that my cats really like (I think it looks foul, but then I don't have to eat it!). There's a brand called Feline Porta at zooplus, that seems to be quite similar to Applaws but not quite so expensive. I like the Porta because it does big tins, and with 6 it's handy to only need to open 1 tin to feed the lot of them, but I think you can get it in smaller quantities too.

Edited by cycas

Thanks hun :) :flowers:

When do cats become "senior" :unsure: ?? Sparks is 5 and a half now, not sure if that qualifys her?!

I was thinking about James Wellbeloved in any case as I know that I can get it in P@H - I don't do on-line shopping which makes it difficult to get the really good ones!

Plus she is a little bit podgy :wub: :laugh:

I may well try the Forthglade one, or something similar, she does love wet food so want to keep it in her diet, would just like to stop having to worry about the little ginger miss! :wub: :rolleyes: :laugh:

:flowers:

At 5 she's still a youngster, all my older ones are in double figures now. But the senior recipe won't do her any harm if she tends to podge up : that's why I feed it, it's a bit lower calorie than the standard JWB adult food so good for Porky Pants Perl and her chubby buddies. :rolleyes:

It's worth looking out for Meowing heads in pet shops : my local one stocks it, that's where I buy it. The ingredients look really good and it's about 3 quid a bag cheaper than the JWB.

If you get the forthglade, this sounds stupidly obvious, but look carefully at the packs - some are supplemented to be suitable for cats as well, some are just for dogs - but the packaging is almost identical apart from this one extra cat in the picture so it's easy to pick up the wrong one. Not that that will disappoint the dogs. :laugh:

My middle-aged boys (11 and 10) are doing well on Arden Grange dry, which seems to be free from additives, etc. I do give them Applaws as well, though, so they're not exclusively on dry food. Tried the Porta tins, but they didn't appreciate them. :rolleyes: They're both fit and active, and never sick; I don't really notice any difference from when they were younger.

I also have a very elderly cat here (a recent arrival, aged 19) who's not able to cope with dry food at all. I keep Chrissie on Applaws and the Porta which the boys rejected, mashed up with warm water. :wub:

I have a 15 yr old who does a similar thing,I sometimes wonder if she does it because she's either eaten to much in one go, or eaten it too quickly, when she does it it's always dry food that comes up, I use either Orijen or Royal Canin dry and Natures Menu, Applaws and Gourmet Gold wet.

I have a cat that does that, she is an indoor cat and we now have her on Royal Canin indoor 27 which she likes and is rarely sick now. She does get a little natures menu cat every day too. I have found that it also helps if i don't let her dry food dish get empty as if it does then i fill it up she stuffs herself and is then sick!

Jessy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...