UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Carpet Cleaners

celeste

I'm in need of some Fugee advice, I'd like to get a carpet cleaner (not a vacume)but there doesn't seem to be any reviews on-line, no British ones anyway, does anybody have one they could recommend ? we have mainly rugs downstairs and carpet upstairs,with three dogs the livingroom rugs take a bit of a pounding,especially when the Staffies decide the rug is just the thing they need to clear those pesky anal glands.......nice :rolleyes:

i have a vax which is ok if you can keep dogs off it till it dries, but to be honest i dont like it.

i do however love my steam cleaner

which is this oneand was incredibly cheap, i use it almost daily on my rug which is the only carpeted bit downstairs, to keep it clean for pickle, and to minimise him picking up something from visitors feet as he cannot be vacced for everything due to the risk of fits.

i think quite a few on here have bissell cleaners too

We had a bissell before, and now have a vax spinscrub. The Vax is definitely better made than the Bissell and I think also a bit more effective.

However, we have carpets. I suspect that it would be more irritating on rugs where the edges can move, and if you have wood or laminate under the rugs, I'd be a bit worried about damp rugs sitting on that sort of surface if you need to clean them really often: the cleaner gets them fairly dry, but not completely.

i have a vax which is ok if you can keep dogs off it till it dries, but to be honest i dont like it.

i do however love my steam cleaner

which is this oneand was incredibly cheap, i use it almost daily on my rug which is the only carpeted bit downstairs, to keep it clean for pickle, and to minimise him picking up something from visitors feet as he cannot be vacced for everything due to the risk of fits.

i think quite a few on here have bissell cleaners too

Mel does that suck the wetness back up?

I've had

A Goblin - cheap & cheerful, did the job until I burned the motor out*

An old style (gravity fed) vax which I sold, newer ones are probably better though as water is pumped out.

A yellow more commercial (I thought) german machine whose name I forget - worked well until I burned the motor out*

A Bissell Quick wash - not a bad little machine though capacity is smaller than the prowash etc - very happy with it until I burned the motor out*

* Top tip: Try Hoovering up the dog hairs first - don't just wash them up like me or you will probably eventually burn out your motors (originally I just thought it was the cheap Goblin at fault, couldn't believe the heavier duty machine was no better - some people learn slowly whatever their IQ!) :wacko: :laugh:

I used to borrow a numatic (makers of Henry) carpet washer from a hire co. I worked at & I thought they were very good little machines for the money - about £160 at the time. Similar domestic & commercial examples here

http://www.henryvacs.co.uk/acatalog/Numatic_Homecare_Range.html

http://www.henryvacs.co.uk/acatalog/Commercial_4_in_1_Extraction_Vacs.html

I also have a cheap(£40 ish) Steam cleaner / wall paper stripper type thing too - they are okay for cleaning but won't suck up any accidents

I now have a bissell prowash which I picked up cheaply at an auction recently - I need to get some belts for it I think as it sucks up well but doesn't appear to be spraying out clean water other than by the hose. I couldn't actually see where the belt went & haven't got around to going & looking for one at the minute but I reckon these machines are worth a look.

NO No No... Okay I put my hand up to a vested interest ---owning a cleaning company but I am gobsmacked here!!!!!!!

We are in the 21st century now, its not good to be using 19th century cleaning techniques

..if you have pets ( and carpets) avoid the domestic carpet shampooing devices like the plague.. They do not clean properly and leave behind a deepsludge that dries and harbours all kinds of nasties and will eventually smell. Beware of people that will tell you otherwise, its all a big con.

You cannot even sanitise a carpet with one of these contraptions.. Even if you cant afforda proper cleaner to come in and make a proper job of it---throw out the carpets or use one of the dry powder brush in processes for cleaning and a seperate sanitiser. You will need two good vacuums - a two motor upright and a a lightweight edger , both with at least hepa filters.

Dont go and hire a Rug Doctor either.

Professional companies will do special test and remove the sludge you are harbouring along with the bacteria and virus that you have been hosting. They will also give you advice on safe Ozone blasting and UVC treatments that will help make your home safe and free from allergens for you, your pets and visitors ( and help keep the houses value)

I've owned these gadgets, I've used them for years. No smell. No sludge. I've used blotting, the dry powder stuff and tried foam shampoos as well, and the carpet cleaner is the best at the job that I want it to do.

Possibly if you were using it every day across the entire floor you would have problems, but for light domestic use, which is what they are designed for, they do the job perfectly well.

If you have a carpet and pets, at some point you will get something spilled by the one onto the other even if it's only water (probably it will be wee, wine or vomit, after all, these are Fugees we are talking about :laugh: ). A carpet cleaner is great for picking that kind of stuff up: nobody waits and calls a professional cleaning company when someone tips over a full drinking bowl at 2am or Fluffikins accidentally gets stuck in a bedroom and makes a small smelly wet patch.

We have had our carpets professionally cleaned as well, but the niche filled by the professional cleaning company is a different one to the domestic carpet cleaning device. The former is for wide area general grubbiness: the latter, for day to day spot cleaning, usually of immediate spills that are too wet to hoover or brush. In general when we use our vax, we use it to lift stuff that has only permeated the top millimeter or so of the carpet.

If you've encountered the old gravity fed cleaners, as Ian rightly says, those did leave the carpet pretty damp and were generally not very good. The new generation of upright cleaners does a much better job, and as there is a very clear 2-pot system, one clean, one dirty, you can pretty much see that almost all the water that goes into the carpet comes out again, as you start with one full clean pot, and end up with one full dirty pot that is slightly fuller than the clean one was.

Edited by cycas

NO No No... Okay I put my hand up to a vested interest ---owning a cleaning company but I am gobsmacked here!!!!!!!

We are in the 21st century now, its not good to be using 19th century cleaning techniques

..if you have pets ( and carpets) avoid the domestic carpet shampooing devices like the plague.. They do not clean properly and leave behind a deepsludge that dries and harbours all kinds of nasties and will eventually smell. Beware of people that will tell you otherwise, its all a big con.

Sorry, but as you've said you do have a vested interest in discouraging use of such machines :laugh:

I'd agree with Cycas - no smell or sludge is necessary - & I'd suggest that you'll only get this soert of problem if you only do half a job (eg depending on how bad the starting point is you may need to go over heavy traffic areas a second time) You obviously shouldn't leave the carpets wet / damp for long - but then that's like saying that washing machines are no good if you don't dry your clothes properly.

With only reasonable effort, modern cleaning products & disinfectants, modern central heated homes etc there's no reason at all that these machines can't do what they are intended for - ie improving cleanliness in the domestic home, they are not intended to clean entire office complexes.

The original query was about buying a carpet cleaner , which i though mean the whole carpet sorry fo rmy mistake. If its just a spot cleaner that is required a sponge and a bucket of hot water is very useful.

I was condemning the use of shampooing type machines. ,,,,( please do not put words in my mouth ) extraction type machinations can be useful in the right hands .

I've got this one Bissell Pet and as far as I am concerned it does a great job. It's got great suction and doesn't leave carpets/rugs too wet. I usually end up using thro the night which is when George tends to have a seizure and wees and by the time I am up again in the morning the carpet is completely dry. We haven't noticed any residual smells but I don't know if that's down to me doing the cleaning right away.