UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

New Arrival

Greygal

Our new OC foster boy has arrived today. He is just like his picture really. Seems like a nice natured dog, fine with people but he and Sonny have already had a few grumpy growly sessions which I hope will ease off very soon. However, he is not what I would call a lurcher at all but a big black German Shepherd type crossed with possibly a collie.

Muffin.jpg

He is very thin though so I'm not sure whether that is just down to his age, insufficient food or some underlying cause. We will have him vet checked fairly soon though he seems fit and can jump into the car and walks/pulls fine!! :biggrin: His teeth don't look so good either but then at 14 years old it's probably not surprising.

I can see this one being another long-term foster though as dogs this size and age probably will not appeal to many folk these days. He is a lovely boy though, waggy tail, responsive and loves a fuss so he will be an easy one to love I reckon!

It is a lovely picture isn't it? His owner supplied it so I'm sure you could use it for the site 'Tilly1712' (sorry haven't been around long enough to link all screen names to real ones!! :wacko: )

The more I look at Muffin, the more I wonder if he could be collie x wolfhound as he is very whiskery round his chin, big boned and with the hugest feet I have ever seen. He is used to free feeding but I will be offering 4 smaller meals a day at regular times so I can see how much he really will eat. He ate half of his tea, mostly the meaty bit :biggrin: and finished off the rest of the kibble for supper, then just a bit at breakfast time so he isn't starving or greedy. He slept through the night with no problems after a short last bedtime walk around 10.30 and got up at our usual time of 6.30 to go out into the garden.

Still a bit grumpy with my two but then Sally did stand on his tail twice :ohmy: so that was fair enough I guess!! He had a good walk almost 2 miles this morning and would have gone further but I wasn't sure how much he can actually do as his back legs can be a bit unsteady sometimes. May be a bit of muscle wastage from living in a shed or just the common old-dogs-wobbly-back-legs thing! He walked past a little terrier without barking or lunging so hopefully that is a good sign and he said hello nicely to a neighbour....big bloke with a balaclava on so quite scary for some dogs.

Just hoping the weather will fine up today (apparently Muff doesn't like rain), so we can get out walking all together which should help the bonding as it will be easier once they can all move around our small bungalow freely and not have to be watched for snarking as they pass in doorways etc.

He continues to be a loving responsive dog this morning, loves strokes and gentle brushing and has just gone off with my OH in the car to the supermarket to give my two a break from watching him. :laugh:

More pics! More pics! :D

Sorry.....I was all set to take them but after the first click I got a 'low battery' message and didn't get any!! :mecry: He didn't want to cooperate and stand still in any case and it's not easy getting good pics of an almost all black dog.....so you probably didn't miss anything brilliant anyway. Will try again during the week if it ever stops raining long enough! However, he travels well in the car, enjoyed his ride to the supermarket and now wants to help us eat up the goodies my OH got. Pity he's not as keen on his kibble though!! :biggrin: