UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Leaving Dogs

gillyb3

i don't think the rspca would get involved unless the outside run has no shelter in it. At least not until the weather worsens, you could try and report her, they may go round and try and offer her some advice. But as other people have said there are so many staffy types in rescues who can't find homes, it is a sad fact some do end up put to sleep, and others can spend months even years waiting for a home whilst living in a kennel. I am not making excuses, if you feel the dogs do not have adequate shelter or if they look as though their health and general condition is deteriorating at all, then ring them defiantly. Until then though, try what others have said and go speak to her. you obviously care a lot for the dogs and it is frustrating sometimes when people seem to have such a different idea of what is ok. But she might have a reason for it. Is the run locked as you could just warn her about the number of dogs who get stolen from gardens, and not necessarily just to be sold on, some get stolen for much worse uses.

good luck whatever you do

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mecry.gif

I feel i should explain myself, before i tell you want has happen today.

Im 34yrs female with bronchiectasis (lung disease).

Me and my other half have rescue 3 dogs over our time together and have come across the troubles of dogs that are left for long times.

Im totally not against people leaving their dogs i just think that leaving your dog for over 4hrs without seeing or walking them is abit long in my book.

We are not the only ones that are abit worry about these dogs as the lady that lives the other side is too and yes she has spoken to the this dog lady, but not about leaving the dogs for so long yet.

It turns out the staffordshire owners use to breed them and the dogs she has now are 3yrs boy and 18months girl.

This morning lady goes to work, we got up as usually and made my other half pack lunch while he was eatting his breakfast, i heard a noise from outside looked out window to find the boy staff got over the cage and had his head through our panel fence, then he broke right through running around our garden.

Cut story shortish, phoned cottage owners who then got in touch with the ladys mother to get the dogs out and back in his cage. I came back from my mothers to see dog back in cage and big hole in my fence that she has used abit wood against.

So they not that bored out of their brain to get out of cage and broke through fences.mecry.gif

Im a person that dogs come first not humans needs.

A dog never ask to been on this planet and never ask to be in your home, they dont get a choice, they such have to put up with it.

Its a shame we cant speak dog language.

Any body watch cesar milan?????.

The reason i got angry about SOME messages is that you make me come across as nasty, noseys, too goody. Im sorry for caring about dogs so much but they dont have a voice. I wouldnt want to see any dog put down, just because humans cant look after them.

I was only asking for some advice, not a have a go at me.

Gillian

nobody said you were a nasty,nosey or a goody goody. You asked for our opinions and we gave them. Nobody intended to offend you (even Lester :laugh: )and we all care as deeply as you do but there is such cruelty going on in this world that those dogs ,in the scheme of things,are actually lucky to be fed,housed and cared for.Staffies are overflowing rescues all over the country,most with little hope of being rehomed,and some in official kennels with far less care and freedom to move as those dogs have.We all care that they are not getting enough exercise or attention but at least they are not being cruelly treated,starved or abused. We know you care :flowers: ,we all do,but apart from talking to the lady and maybe offering her assistance there is little anybody can do. x

I'm really not sure what to say other than what has been said already.

Have you actually spoken to the owner yourself? That's not clear to me from your posts.

I think if you are concerned about the dogs' welfare and the fact that you know now that at least one of them can get out of their cage - and that you have a hole in your fence - then you need to talk to the owner and try to resolve things. Maybe if you get talking and she mentions she's bred in the past, you could let her know how many staffie types face pts each day :wink:

If you don't have any success/are still concerned about the dogs' welfare, then perhaps a chat with the RSPCA is your next option. Though I don't know that they would even come out, given from what you have said, the dogs appear to be in good condition, have shelter, water and are presumably fed regularly. Maybe if the shelter is not adequate for the cold weather they can advise her on that :flowers: I don't know if the dog warden would be able to help in this situation.

And don't think people on here don't care about dogs because that is so far removed from the truth :)

Any body watch cesar milan?????.

Only when I need to remind myself what an absolute twit I think he is and how he should never be let near a dog.

There is a possibility she is actually leaving them out in a secure environment for their own safety. I'm afraid staffies are very good at bulldozing their way through fences and can cause mayhem indoors. It doesn't have to be due to lack of stimulation. Maybe the dog saw something go over your fence and thought he would go see. Staffies can be incredibly destructive so I'm also not surprised he could actually get out of the caging either.

4 hours isn't long to leave a dog unless they have separation anxiety. Mine get quite fed up if I'm around in the morning as I interrupt their sleep. Most people have to leave their dogs for at least 4 hours.

It may not be ideal but I agree with others that I don't know what the situation is. Some dogs actually like being outside. I've had 2 that were a divil to get indoors no matter what the weather. The RSPCA won't want to know as the directive from them is that dogs should have shelter, water and be fed daily. These dogs are receiving that according to yourself so there is nothing anyone can do.

Maybe one of the neighbours might be able to help. However it could unsettle the dogs more if someone was to pop in for just half an hour to an hour and then they're left again.

Now the fencing is damaged you have the opportunity to have a discussion about this and find out more.

Only when I need to remind myself what an absolute twit I think he is and how he should never be let near a dog.

laugh.gif Really? How come? - Sorry I know I'm taking the post off topic here!

Gilly, as I said, yesterday, sorry that you feel like some people have been unkind to you. I am sure that nobody thinks you are nasty, nosey or a do-gooder (although I've never understood why the term do-gooder was used in a derogatory way!).

It is obvious that you care about these dogs, and that is a good thing. I don't like to see dogs left outside either, particularly at this time of year when the weather is rubbish and there are fireworks going off every five minutes! Although I imagine summer time would be even worse if they have no shelter.

I think what people were trying to say, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that although we all know it's not a very nice environment for the dogs to live in, the RSPCA may not be able to take action unless it is deemed to be inadequate by law. But that doesn't mean that your concerns are un-justified. flowers.gif

I don't know much about the legalities of keeping dogs in this type of situation, but if you have concerns you might find it useful to call the RSPCA non-emergency help line for advice. It might help to put your mind at ease.

I hope that this hasn't put you off using the forum, as I am sure that nobody would want to make you feel unwelcome (I am new here too). flowers.gif

Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

Ok some people leave their dogs for 10hrs day outside i do understand but i still dont like it.mecry.gif

We have now spoken to this lady and the reason this male dog went THROUGH wooden panel fence is because the other dog18month girl is in season, and my dog is a boy as well so it looks like he wanted to get to my dogohmy.gif , so good job we were indoors at that point. She says her dogs are fine and that it wont happen again mmmmmmm, dont think she like us poking our nose in and yes we was very very nice about it. The fence panel has now be replaced. And we are going to put 3ft chain link nailed to post our side just to make sure.

As for dog warden, ive never seen a dog warden around here as we live the countryside not much trouble with dogs normally.

As for staffs dogs they seen to get removed quite well around here so maybe some rescue centres should move the dogs to these areas likely to find homes.

And before anybody things im against Staffs, im not my sis has a staff cross, very big and strong girl now 11yrs bless her.

Im not against any dog (even the ones that have bitten mewink.gif ) i believe that these animals dont get a say they just have to put up with what we want. So i guess i like to thing i do give them a say, if you know what i meanwub.gif .

gillian.

p.s does anybody know how to stop one very cheeky old boy barking everytime he sees a dog, yes he friendly but with male dogs tries to put them in their place if you know what i mean. He only been doing this the last 2wks guess he trying it on with us being we only had him 7wks, just like to nip in bud.

If you ring your local council and ask to be put through to dog warden section, you will find your local one. If you are in countryside they are probably more prominant around the more built up areas, but they will come out to any address within their boundries if you ask them.

If some of the answers here seem harsh or abrupt, Im sure its not meant that way. Unfortunately, many times what appears to be black and white situations are in fact very different when you look deeper and many members here have seen assumptions made, accusations made and often total balls ups made too :laugh:

Im sure we all appreciate how much you care about dogs, as do the members here, and Im sad you found some members to be a little 'harsh'. Im sure it wasnt intended that way :flowers:

Dog wardens don't patrol around country areas, but like Helly said, they will come out if you need them. Here in rural Cornwall they will come out if you can give them an address to come to, although they won't come out for a straying dog unless you've managed to catch it because, as they say, in miles of country the dog just disappears before they can get to it.

It's a good idea to know who/where your local dog warden is, because if you do find a dog straying and in danger, or god forbid, if your own dog should get lost, it's the dog warden you will need to call for help.

laugh.gif Really? How come? - Sorry I know I'm taking the post off topic here!

Because we don't enjoy watching dogs being bullied and abused and subjected to the use of choke chains, prong and shock collars (you won't necessarily spot these if you don't know what you're looking for), nor do we appreciate the misinformation about dog behaviour that he spouts.

Don't want to go OT either so you might have a read of this -

http://4pawsu.com/dogpsychology.htm

Pam

wacko.gif Thankyou pam, i have just been reading all about it.

Dont you find it all confusing?, i have to say im a total push over when it comes to dogs bossy me aroundwub.gif . Our last dog hated other dogs and we had her for nine years so we just learnt to live with the her and walked places with less dogs around, so there was no real problem for us.

Our new dog wants fuss 99% of the day and yes he gets it about 90% so you could say he wrapped me round his pawflowers.gif , I would just like him to not bark at other dogs when out walking in the village, like i said he has only started doing it the last 2wks. His tail wags really fast and things way play time but when we meet the dogs his abit bositers (spelling bad) and dont think the other owner to keen on it.

His calmed down with my mums chickens, rather than thinking they are for playing with.

Bless him, i love him to bits, he loves waving his paw at you for fusses and yes he gets on the sofa with us, but he does sleep down stairs at night (on sofa). So you can see whos the boss in this housewub.gif , but who cares his happy , so were happy.

Gillian.

I do not believe in the use of shock,prong or choke collars but I do agree with some of Milans methods and theories. His methods are just that,it works so he uses it. The people who write other theories have just that,just different ways of doing things.Who is to say who has the right way or the wrong way? You might be a so called expert but it doesnt necessarily make your theories fool proof. "Experts" are being proved wrong all the time.I dont believe in bullying any dog but a calm assertive manner,plenty of mental and physical exercise and clear signals for training are what is used by all good trainers including Milan.Also,different methods work with different dogs,no one way is fool proof x