UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Using Glucosamine Long-Term - Anyone Aware Of Any Side Effects?

ReikiAnge

I've been buying Synflex (thanks for the recommendation Ms Merle :flowers:) for some time now, having tried various different products over the past ten years and I am very pleased with it.

I bought it originally for Cass but given Sno and Max are now aged 10 and nearly 11, I have started giving it to them over the last few months too. Not because I feel they need it, but because Synflex states that there are no side effects and I figured it might help delay any joint problems that they might have.

Synflex original, which is what the dogs have, contains :

• 1250mg Glucosamine HCL / • 25mg Shark Cartilage (20% Chondroitin Sulfate) • 8mg Boswellin

• 3mg Yucca / • 5mg Manganese / • 1mg Bromelain / • 7mg Omega-3 & Omega-6 / • Vitamins A, C & E

I did read an article some time back from a vet (can't remember who :rolleyes:) who advocated starting dogs on supplements to help joints, from about the age of 7-8 I think, which seems to be new thinking - and possibly motivated by money - but I thought it made some sense, though I've started a bit later. I've read that the Glucosamine HCL is a good/the best one to use but can't remember why.

I can't see any harm in giving them Synflex and hopefully it will do them some good, but I'd be interested in your thoughts on giving glucosamine products as a "preventative" I guess :flowers:

I gave it to Louie from about 7yrs, before he developed any stiffness, and he was still able to run about at 14, and for a large GSD, thats pretty good going. My vet mentioned that giving joint supplements before any damage occurred did make a big difference, I've already started Ben on Synflex, and Spuds been on it for about a year. I think it's a sensible precaution.

I started George on it oooh 2 or 3 years ago when he was developing a limp due to a shoulder injury. Once he had been on it for a bit the limp disappeared :biggrin:

I do get him the beef flavoured Syflex specifically for pets as I was a tad worried about the asprin content of the human one (white willow?) It came up on conversation thread on here I think and I just thought better safe than sorry. I don't know if the ordinary one still has the asprin content :unsure:

An elderly friend of mine is prescribed glucosamine by her GP and she swears by it. She's 77 and has a lot of health problems, including arthritis, but gets out every day for a good walk with her dogs and reckons she wouldn't be able to without the glucosamine . She's got her dogs on too.

edited to say: Anne I would be interested in seeing that reference too if you wouldn't mind.

Edited by Yantan

Milly has been on Synflex since she was a year old and she's now 6 1/2 years old. She has severe HD and it was the only thing which worked for her and still does.

I started Max on it a year ago as he was approaching 7 years old, and even though I started him on it as a preventative measure, it has really helped with his lumbosacral disease and now he runs around much better than he ever has in the 5 years I've had him :wub: Where previously he used to start running and then pull up and limp on one leg, now he just runs round us in circles when we're in the big field and he can go quite fast too (not a bad feat for a blind dog). I had never seen him run very far prior to putting him on Synflex. He still pulls up/limps but he can go for much longer than he ever could previously.

I can't praise it highly enough, and would have no hesitation in taking it myself when I'm a bit older as a preventative measure. Needless to say, all my dogs will be on it as they get older (Taffy next, who is 7 this month) :wub:

I do get him the beef flavoured Syflex specifically for pets as I was a tad worried about the asprin content of the human one (white willow?) It came up on conversation thread on here I think and I just thought better safe than sorry. I don't know if the ordinary one still has the asprin content :unsure:

It's only the 1500mg one which has white willow in it, the original does not have it :flowers:

Would be interested in seeing your info too Anne :flowers:

It's only the 1500mg one which has white willow in it, the original does not have it :flowers:

Yes, I bought the 1500mg one once without realising, but the dogs were fine thankfully. I use the original now, as I haven't seen the beef one for sale in the UK and the exchange rate on the US ones wasn't so great last time I checked.

Interesting point about your Max, Alex, my Max has always been a lively soul :wub: but it might well have given Sno more of an urge to have a good run around on his walks with Mins.

I have Googled and found some info about the side effects of glucosamine :flowers:

Glucosamine Side Effects

Glucosamine is a dietary supplement that lacks the damaging side effects and long term toxicity of COX-2 inhibitors or NSAIDS such as ibuprofen or aspirin. Great, you say. What else do I need to know about it? Does it have any other side effects that I need to be aware of? So Just How Safe is Glucosamine?

Glucosamine is overall a very safe substance. It has been studied clinically since the very early 80's – so people have been taking it safely for over 20 years. There are only a few things you need to watch out for when taking Glucosamine.

Shellfish Allergies

Because most Glucosamine is derived from shellfish (a few manufacturers offer it derived from corn), you should consult your doctor prior to starting Glucosamine therapy. If the Glucosamine is pure but derived from shellfish, it is still possible that people who are allergic to shellfish can take Glucosamine. Because the allergic reaction is to proteins in shellfish and Glucosamine is derived from Chitin, a carbohydrate, it is generally ok to try Glucosamine under the guidance of a doctor because the processing that takes place to extract the Glucosamine destroys the proteins and the antigens that the body would normally react to. However, the official recommendation is that if you have an allergy to shellfish to avoid glucosamine.

Diabetics

Insulin levels with Glucosamine (HCL or Sulfate) can be subject to fluctuations, particularly in diabetics. Glucosamine is technically a carbohydrate (a sugar), but the body is not able to convert Glucosamine into Glucose. Hence, Glucosamine does not directly provide additional sources of Glucose. In diabetic patients, many factors can lead to changing blood levels and as a result it is very important to check with your doctor prior to initiating Glucosamine therapy and to be sure to be very careful about monitoring your blood sugar levels while on Glucosamine. Read the latest update on Glucosamine for Diabetics.

Pregnant / Lactating Women

Pregnant women should avoid Glucosamine. There have not been enough long term studies on the fetus to clearly say that Glucosamine is 100% safe for the developing fetus. There is no evidence that it would be harmful but it would be best to be safe in a situation such as this.

Overdose

Extremely high levels of Glucosamine (many times the daily dose) can cause gastric fluctuations such as soft stools, diarrhea or nausea. Glucosamine does not have to be taken with meals but it would be convenient to mix with a drink when you take it if you so desired.

Except for those above advisements, Glucosamine has a long track record of being very safe