UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Woman Who Abandoned St Bernards Jailed

BillyMalc

I know it's only 18 weeks, but given that the max sentence they can give for any animal cruelty offence is 26 weeks, it's not too bad I s'pose :unsure:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/8323217.stm

Holiday dog abandon woman jailed

A dog breeder who abandoned 99 St Bernards to go on holiday has been jailed for 18 weeks for animal cruelty.

Wellingborough magistrates heard 16 dogs have died or been put down since they were found at Wardana Kennels, Brigstock, Northants, last November.

The dogs were found covered in faeces and urine and without food or water.

Mary Collis, 51, admitted seven counts of causing unnecessary suffering to 85 dogs and failing to meet the needs of 14 dogs at an earlier hearing.

The RSPCA was contacted by concerned members of the public after Collis had gone away to Tenerife with her partner.

'Suffering depression'

Inspectors found the St Bernards in poor health, many with matted fur and eye problems.

Collis, a trained veterinary nurse, originally denied the charges but later changed her plea.

Collis, now of Denby Lane, Wakefield, was also banned from keeping any animals for 10 years.

Chairman of magistrates Dr Robin Pugsley told Collis they felt they needed to give an immediate custodial sentence because of the number of dogs affected.

One had to be put to sleep on the night of 29 November when they were found.

Mary Ellen Collis

Collis abandoned the 99 dogs to go on holiday to Tenerife with her partner

Another died the following day at a vets, and the court heard a total of 14 dogs had died since as a result of their ordeal.

The remaining 83 dogs have since been re-homed after a campaign by the RSPCA.

Prosecutor Kevin McCole told the court Collis went away on holiday on 24 November and RSPCA inspectors and police went into the kennels 5 days later.

Mr McCole said a visiting vet came to the conclusion that there had been "a significant lack of basic care requirements".

Most dogs were emaciated and, on several, their ribs and spines could be seen.

'Delighted' with sentence

The court heard experts concluded most dogs had suffered neglect for several weeks or months.

In mitigation defence solicitor Ben Brown said the former kennel-owner, who had bred St Bernards for 30 years, had been well-respected in dog breeding circles.

Collis was declared bankrupt in May 2007 and was "living at the property pending eviction with a limited income", the court heard.

She became depressed and her partner suggested going away on holiday, magistrates were told.

Speaking after the hearing today, RSPCA Inspector Clint Davies said they were "delighted" with the sentence.

"I think it sends out the right message to people that they are not going to get away with it.

"I think it shows complete disregard for the animals."

This woman deserves to be punished for this appalling act of neglect and cruelty and frankly, prison sentence aside, she should have a lifetime ban from keeping animals in my opinion. Depressed or not, she continued to breed from her dogs. Did she seek any veterinary help at any time?However, you have to wonder how this went on for so long without anyone else taking some action or reporting it. not least her partner - did he never see the dogs? How could anyone not recognise their desperate need for food/water/clean pens. Did no one else visit the kennels, postman, delivery vans, prospective owners etc. Or is it part of our sad culture of turning a blind eye.Surely kennels are subject to local authority regulations and checks?

Sorry for the rant but I have worked in the field of child protection for nearly 30 years and neglect is still, for me, one of the most depressing and chilling of crimes against any living person or animal as it is a denial of the most fundamental right to have basic needs met for those who are dependent on others.

Bloody woman :mad: They should shut her cell door and forget about her for a while and see how she likes it.

I saw the tail end of a news report on this last night and it showed one of the dogs looking fit and healthy in his/her new home with a very proud owner.

When the dogs were first discovered, a man wrote into one of the dog papers stating that his daughter helped out at the kennels at weekends and had been there on the Sunday before they were found, as usual. He implied that there was nothing out of the ordinary then and couldn't understand how there was no-one there.

It may have been that she only worked in the boarding kennels, and didn't see the others.

Maybe they were kept out of sight.

Maybe her partner didn't live there and therefore had no knowledge of the dogs. I don't think he has been charged.