UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ollie Not Good - Need Some Advice

Tempest

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not great news at the vets really :mecry: Olls is really sore in his tummy (he actually turned round and tried to bite the vet when she pressed it and anyone who knows him will know that he must be in a fair amount of pain to do that).

He had an internal exam and his colon is very swollen. She basically thinks it's somekind of infection from all the poo he keeps eating :mecry: She did say there's a chance that we're not going to be able to clear the infection up and he could constantly have colitis from now on :(

She said we need to think about his quality of life and how we're coping with things and that his bladder control is likely to be the next thing to go once those nerves are affected too.

She said we need to think about pts as a serious option but she agreed that it's worth trying a course of antibiotics to see if we can kick this infection and then at least we won't have dirrorhea all over the house :(

I think we know that we're probably in his last week's and we've got to start coming to terms with things and making decisions but I want to try the antibiotics and see where we go from there :(

Sorry Jules, just catching up with this thread. I'm so sorry to hear of how things are, I wish I could wave a magic wand and make everything ok :GroupHug:

I bought my first crate when Sweetie started going downhill as she was wandering around at night - it was more for her safety than anything as she was getting off the armchair (that she'd bagged as soon as she came home!) the wrong way and getting stuck by the computer etc. She did settle in it but I sat and gave her Reiki to help her relax/go off to sleep. If the crate wouldn't work, you can get puppy pens which would probably be ok for him, of differing heights. I bought one for Mins for the garden which she used for two minutes on the first day, shame you're not closer and you could have borrowed it. I think it cost about £35 plus delivery so not too expensive. Just a thought.

Would it be worth you setting an alarm a few times during the night and coming down to see if he needs to go out? Like you do with a young pup - not fun to have sleep disturbed I know but preferable to all the mess for both of you? I had a Max-alarm if Sweetie got into difficulty so came down to that.

Would he be more likely to settle if he were up with you? I don't know if you can carry him upstairs, then you'd know when he woke, to take him out for the toilet?

:GroupHug: Keeping you both in my thoughts :GroupHug:

I have tried having him upstairs with us but he seems to settle less than if he's downstairs and paces around the bedroom all night. It's not really an option for me to be getting up in the night either as I've got such a hectic schedule with the new job that I'm exhausted and really need my sleep.

We've tried crates in the past with him for fireworks night etc and he's never liked them so I'm loathe to introduce anything that might upset him further at the moment really.

Thanks for all the good thoughts :flowers:

I know it's not fun getting up in the night - been there :( - I was just thinking it might be preferable for both of you if he took the chance to toilet outside, rather than finding him in a mess in the morning.

The puppy pens I mentioned give them more room than a crate and there's no "ceiling" to them like there is a crate, but they do stop them from covering a whole room. Anyway, was just a thought :flowers:

Sorry if you've already covered this Jules but have you tried giving him anything to relax him at night to see if that might help settle him? A DAP, rescue remedy, scullcap and valerian, combination of the three? Sweetie seemed to turn a tad nocturnal with her nighttime wanderings, bless her.

He does settle fine at night Ange, it's only if he's in with us that he paces as he wants to be downstairs :flowers:

At the moment he's taken to biting the bars of the stairgate when I shut it and getting quite distressed (which is a new behaviour) so I don't really want to 'confine' him as such. I think it's just a case of getting used to the clean up in the morning as I'm so desperate for sleep at the moment that I think I'll be worse emotionally if I'm having broken nights too :flowers:

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

All my love Jules to you and Ollie. I really really really hope he improves a little and can have an easier few days.

All I can say without sounding harsh or condescending is to not leave the decisions too long, regret doesn't fade with time.