UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Can Laugh Now

reds

Had a lovely day off today, spent with horses, lovely people and dogs. Then I came home and about 5 minutes after walking through the door was a phonecall from a police officer saying my Mother had just been at the station wanting to talk about the ear loop in the neighbourhood, a liabelous letter from the GP, and an illegal book the neighbours have. He wanted to check she was ok. At the time my head was racing with thoughts of where she was, and walking back home in the state she was obviously in with crossing roads etc. Then she walked through the door whilst I was still on the phone so all ok there.

Again she stopped taking her meds. and threw the last lot in the bin because she didn't like the taste. Managed to get her to take another tablet tonight and in future it will have to be injections which will be a nightmare to get her to have as at the best of times she doesn't like needles for a start. Just glad she's taken the tablet and so the cycle starts again. Heartbreaking to see her go through this and it must be a living nightmare for her. It's hard enough being on the other side.

It may be wrong and very inappropriate to laugh but honestly, what a phone call to have. I explained about her illness and he very politely said, 'I thought there might be something' :laugh: .

:GroupHug: must be very difficult for you,I work with the elderly,some of whom are beginning to show signs of dementia and some of our conversations are so bizarre you just have to laugh,although initially I felt it was wrong to do so,now it is a form of release otherwise the pressures would be even greater than they are.

You need a sense of humour at times like these. Awful thing for you all to have to live with. As a teenager I lived in a multi storey amongst lots of pensioners. There was one old dear called Minnie who lived a couple of floors below us. I quite often had to go help her back across a busy main road quite a way from the flats and walk her home on my arm. Must have been very persuasive as a teenager. It's only now I'm older I think the poor woman was just left like that. She lived on her own. How ever did she manage without care?

Yes it is heartbreaking but I don't think it's inappropriate to laugh.

My Mum is slipping into the depths of dementia and some of her conversations are hilarious and I do laugh, I also cry at some of the things she says too.

After a visit to my Mum, I leave with a headache, worried and feeling sick inside but at least I can leave.

You have my admiration for living with this daily and retaining your sense of humour about it.