UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bach Flower Stuff

gremlin22

Am after some advice really. I have had my dog kimi almost a year now (she's 7 yrs old) and i suspect she's had a lot of homes, at least 4 before me that i know of if not more, and i suspect over the years she's had some not so pleasant training used on her. She's very panicy if you pick up a stick/pole of any sort, even if she knows the person in question. She won't touch toys at all, is less than interested in food, and yes i have tried soo many different kinds..she will eat it just zero enthusiasm at all.She is fine to be left on her own, no sep anxiety or anything like that but i think every time i leave her with anyone else she thinks i'm abandoning her..she panics, wont let me out of her sight,looks back to me constantly, even if I am not leaving her with anyone and were just visiting.She's also hit and miss with other dogs for no reason whatsoever..that i can see, though i did a lot of work with her when she first came to me and she is much better now but still seems to have totally unprovoked reactions to some dogs.

She does now do agility which she really really enjoys, and i discovered today a skate park is her new favourite plays to go :laugh:

but i've been thinking maybe there is something herbal i can give her that may make her feel a little more settled, or more convinced she's here for good.Just something to help her start over.I've been looking at the bach flower things but am a bit clueless. I don't think she needs the rescue remedy as that seems to be for much more severe cases but i'm unsure which individual flower i should try. I was thinking from what i've read maybe honeysuckle and possibly beech for her dog reactions, but could do with advice from someone with a bit of experience with these things.

ta very much

jemma & kimi

I used a different flower essence on Chloe (my nervous rescue dog) called Stress which was very good I will go and look up the details for you. I am afraid I don't know much about the Bach remedies so can't advise although somewhere I have the guide that says which one you should use for the different things.

I used a different flower essence on Chloe (my nervous rescue dog) called Stress which was very good I will go and look up the details for you. I am afraid I don't know much about the Bach remedies so can't advise although somewhere I have the guide that says which one you should use for the different things.

thanks

Hi, right been and checked up on what it was that I used and of course, I can't find the bottle but they were made Tortuerouge and they are distributed in this country by a lovely lady called Lynne. Her email address is [email protected] and her telephone number is 01761 420878.

I had a long chat with Lynne about my Chloe and she suggested the combination essence that she had and it certainly made a difference. I actually think hers was called Trust now that i think about it rather than Stress. Anyway, I would recommend that you talk to Lynne as she can help you decide exactly which essence would be best for Kimi.

HTH

Annerolleyes.gif

PS - forgot to say that Irish Retriever Rescue use these remedies on their rescue dogs

Edited by Anne Grose

I can second the recommendation of Lynne.

She helped with my IRR rescue whose taking it in his stride attitude turned out to be a cover up of the stress of his early weeks, until he had settled in his new home.

We had a long chat and she was able to provide a mix of remedies to help Murphy.

I've spoken to Lynne before too and she is very nice and helpful :flowers:

I have used various flower remedies for different things and I also give my collie Scullcap and Valerian tablets from Dorwest Herbs to help with his anxieties. He has improved a great deal generally over the years but he had them around fireworks time for example, when there's a storm and when he seems stressed.

Hope you can find something to help :flowers:

Well i've never used Bach remedies but having suffered for the last 3 weeks with Milo stressing when left i consulted a very knowledgeable friend and since Sunday him (and me) have been taking Kalms - the difference is amazing, a much calmer Milo, a much calmer me, a lovely calm house.

• 1 month later...

First Bach one that comes to mind is Rock Rose for terror then Star of Bethlehem to release all that trauma and Walnut for change.

Soul Support or Animal Rescue could well be indicated - they are Aalaskan.

I'd certainly talk to an animal communicator, get her to talk to Kimi , find out exactly how she feels, reassure her etc, can be very helpful and makes it easier to pick right rems. www.talkinghorse.co.uk is excellent.

You are spot on about RR, it's for emergencies and totally overused in wromng circumstances leading to a feeling that essences don't work - they do when we pick the right ones.

i have tried the animal communicator route, they said she was struggling to move on, she doesn't beleive she is here for good, despite being over a year as she has had so many homes she can no longer track time. She doesn't think she is bad with other dogs..kimi this is, she doesn't think she's supposed to act any differently to how she does. ( she barks, growls and goes nuts but only at specific ones). She has been beaten when younger hence the stick phobia.She does like agility and she likes us, tho she said she felt kimi thought my fella spends too long on the sofa.:-)

I'm really unsure how to address the dog reaction becuase some dogs she is fine with, others she really goes crazy for no reason from over 30 ft away. i will try the sites mentioned.

not sure what i make of the communicator stuff, i think i was hoping for more answers or to be able to give her a message or something.

thanks all.

A communicator can only tell what a dog tells them, like people some are more chatty than others, some like to have fun and take the p***, others will say what they think you want to here. A coomunicator shouldn't try to interpretate what a dog is saying, if they do they are bound to get it wrong because they don't know the circumstances, they should just say what they have been told and let the owner interpretate it.

Several of my dogs have been abused before I got them, those days are over as soon as they enter my house so I igore all this and take what my dog offers me. If that is very little, that is their choice but gradually my dog will start to offer me more as they build up trust on me. It is a new life, the past no longer matters, up to a point.

I do think we can go into our dog's past too much and then start to make allowances that shouldn't be made which confuses them. I would love to know what has happened to my dogs in the past but after I have sorted out what problems they have otherwise that knowledge would interfer with their rehabilitation. We can't explain to dogs, all we can do is make them feel secure by giving them good, fair boundaries and set them up to do what we want them to.

Merlin once told a communicator what had happened in his previous life before he came to me, it was so upsetting she couldn't tell me, she was in tears as he told her. If I knew what this was, I doubt I could have kept the boundaries with him, I would have been making excuses for his behaviour and that wouldn't have helped him.

A communicator can only tell what a dog tells them, like people some are more chatty than others, some like to have fun and take the p***, others will say what they think you want to here. A coomunicator shouldn't try to interpretate what a dog is saying, if they do they are bound to get it wrong because they don't know the circumstances, they should just say what they have been told and let the owner interpretate it.

Several of my dogs have been abused before I got them, those days are over as soon as they enter my house so I igore all this and take what my dog offers me. If that is very little, that is their choice but gradually my dog will start to offer me more as they build up trust on me. It is a new life, the past no longer matters, up to a point.

I do think we can go into our dog's past too much and then start to make allowances that shouldn't be made which confuses them. I would love to know what has happened to my dogs in the past but after I have sorted out what problems they have otherwise that knowledge would interfer with their rehabilitation. We can't explain to dogs, all we can do is make them feel secure by giving them good, fair boundaries and set them up to do what we want them to.

Merlin once told a communicator what had happened in his previous life before he came to me, it was so upsetting she couldn't tell me, she was in tears as he told her. If I knew what this was, I doubt I could have kept the boundaries with him, I would have been making excuses for his behaviour and that wouldn't have helped him.

I can agree with this. While it might be nice to know what has happened in the past, it is in the past.

When I ran my training classes I often had handlers come with rescue dogs, who were afraid to lay down rules, in case the dog got upset.

I used to tell them to stop feeling sorry for the dog and treat it normally.