UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How To Get Rid Of Weel Smells.

Kathyw

We have rhinofloor and in between the hallway and lounge and between hallway and kitchen there is that bar thingy that holds down the edges of the flooring in the doorways.

Poppy wees profusely and at night always seems to do it there. We have laid towels down overnight but she manages to move them and then wee and it has gone under the bar.

So even though wee is cleaned up with paper towels and then mopped with vinegar and water the smell seems to still be there.

ie if you come back after a couple of hours walk then you can smell it as soon as you open the door.

We can take both the bars up but the wee might have soaked into the underneath of the flooring - how so we get this clean and pong free?

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Wash normally including area skirting etc,

Use a steam cleamer if you have one.

Treat with "Urine Off" not just spray on. leave on underpolythene sheets overnight, to allow it to follow the soaking in of the wee,repeat if needed.

If any trace of smell remains, hire an Ozone Blaster.

There are also little aluminium gizmos that screw to the wall and will remove smells from the immediate area.

Killing smell will stop triggering the environmental trigger to wee there, but beating the mental habitmay be a bit harder. try a puppy pad and gradually move it away.

I didn't explain it properly.

There is no smell once vinegar and water is used - the smell is coming from under the brass? bars that are across the floor where the doors are.

- the wee has run under there.

Poppy does very large puddles but bless her, she goes as close to the back door as she can - the back door is betwwen the two other doors so when she wees during the night - it runs under the bars that hold down the flooring.

The smell is coming from under those bars - I cannot put anything wet as it will rot the flooring.

I have had an idea. I am thinking of lifting the bars and putting lots of bicarb down and when it is soaked, clean it up and put another lot down and continue until all traces are removed.

I think I will have to put Poppy in the crate overnight - she is 17 and is very clean when she has access to back garden during the daytime.

If door is closed she will let you know she wants to go outside but at night the door is shut and Poppy cannot hold her wee.

I need to have a word with Poppy's owner and maybe suggest propalin for Poppy.

we have the "wee smell" problem on our landing. Skye(dobermann) used to wee on the landing carpet every time she got nervous and as she was a big dog she left big puddles. When she was homed we hired a steam cleaner 3 times,I washed it with bio powder and used no vac,febreeze and all sorts but whenever the air is damp I can still smell it. Other than take the carpet up,which would mean replacing the stair carpet as well, I would appreciate ideas too. x

Rotting only occurs from the action of moulds and or bacteria and specific persistent aerobic or anaerobic conditions

There are non ye tknow that can live in dog pee

"Urine-off "reacts with the uric acid crystals which are responsible for the smell. and use up oxygen, thus drying out . Nothing will rot. Both wet and dry rot moulds cannot live in such an environment.

It will go wherever the uric acid has gone, it will even soak into pre sixties concrete..

You need to find out where the smell is actually coming from.

If the urine has gone under them it may have soaked into any crack between the rhino flooring and the flooring in the other room. It may also have found its way into the backing of the rhino flooring and under any skirting board.

I would lift the rods and wash them thoroughly. You may find some urine trapped under them.

Check out under the rhino flooring and any skirting board.

Pet shops sell an odour neutraliser which is very effective and smells nice too.

You may need to repeat treating the areas until the smell goes.

I don't know what mix of water and vinegar you have used but have seen 50/50 recommended.

If the flooring is wet, I have read to cover it with salt, which will soak up the urine.

A paste of balking soda and water spread on wood flooring may work.

Another suggestion has been fill a spray bottle with half water and half Listerene mouthwash. Apparantly that gets rid of the smell.

we have the "wee smell" problem on our landing. Skye(dobermann) used to wee on the landing carpet every time she got nervous and as she was a big dog she left big puddles. When she was homed we hired a steam cleaner 3 times,I washed it with bio powder and used no vac,febreeze and all sorts but whenever the air is damp I can still smell it. Other than take the carpet up,which would mean replacing the stair carpet as well, I would appreciate ideas too. x

I had a similar problem with a patch near the door of my 26ft lounge/diningroom. I couldn't replace the whole carpet, I repeatedly soaked it with the odour neutraliser from the pet shop.

You need to penetrate the backing of the carpet and any underlay, so after putting down the neutraliser( per the instructions) I covered the area with paper towells and stood on it to help it soak into through. Let it dry and repeat as necessary until the smell goes.

It has probably soaked through to the underlay, so you will need to lift the carpet and cut out that section of underlay and you can either wash and put back down or replace it with new. Before you put the carpet back down, put some plastic down between the underlay and the carpet which will prevent the same problem happening again.

Re the carpet itself, make a paste out of bicarbonate and white vinegar and then rub it well into the affected area (do a test patch first to ensure colour fastness) and then leave it overnight to dry. Once dry, vacuum and the smell should be gone and the carpet will be nice and clean flowers.gif