UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Natural Cleaning

Abby

Being currently washed up on the sofa with lots of aching muscles due to spending my so-called 'day-off' degreasing the pub kitchen :rolleyes: I decided to finally get around to posting about my new cleaning habits.

Yes, calm down, I know it's very exciting and just the thread you have been waiting for :laugh:

We've been in the pub for about 20 months now and I have been increasingly uncomfortable with the levels of cleaning products necessary to 'do the job properly'. So I started looking into alternatives to all those lovely products that include things like petro-chemicals and silly not needed chemical 'fragrances' that make my skin, nose and throat hurt and kill the planet while they're at it.

It's a tough ask here because I cook a lot, have a lot of equipment to keep clean, have exacting regulations to keep to and use delightful stuff like deep fat fryers but...

With the exception of a commercial anti-bacterial spray which Environmental Health want me to have, and dishwasher / washing machine stuff (next on my list to sort out) I have reduced my cleaning products to the following natural items:

Distilled Malt Vinegar

Borax

Bicarbonate of Soda

Soda Crystals (washing soda)

Dr Bronner's Castille Soap :wub: :wub: :wub: (deserves a thread all of it's own)

Various essential oils

water

much less elbow grease than you would expect

With these I make everything I need, including:

washing up liquid

degreaser

sanitiser

floor & surface cleaner

bathroom cleaner

oven cleaner

Now I've been doing it a little while it is much easier to whip up squirty bottle of whatever it is I need without always refering to my little recipe book or the net. Plus, for a girl who has a severe aversion to cleaning, I find it scarily satisfying! I will never go back to chemical cleaners, I just don't see why they are needed.

And the best bit is...especially for anything remotely greasy...this way is EASIER. Vinegar is miraculous. Scrubbing out the deep fat fryer is easy peasy these days, in fact there's very little scrubbing involved because the metal seems to keep cleaner since I started using vinegar.

Ermmm.. that's it really :unsure: Just wanted to share the love a bit... :wink:

Recipes on request is not a problem at all.

Recipes requested please :biggrin: I always try to find products that are not tested on animals and have tried the white vinegar in the washing that Alex suggested, and have used vinegar to clean windows but not to clean greasy pans. What do you use to wash muddy floors and manky bathrooms with?

I am very impressed with your new regime but I think a lie down is definately in order :laugh:

Ooooooooooooh I would love the recipes please.

How about getting someone to make them into a little booklet, having a small charge and donating the proceeds to your favourite charity? I'd be willing to pay for anything that makes cleaning easier and doesn't use all the chemicals. I hate cleaning with a passion!!!!!!

A recipe book sounds good.

Safneo, I use a steam cleaner on my kitchen floor.

No chemicals, just steam, and a nice clean floor.

Murphy dribbles like a waterfall while his dinner is being prepared and it used to stick to the tiled floor like superglue. Even scrubbing it didn't shift it.

Once I stopped using any cleaning products on the floor, the gunge comes off quite easily.

Now I realise how sticky floor cleaners left the floor.

I also use it from time to time on my bathroom carpet , which is Flotex.

Yes please to the recipes :biggrin:

I have found a great one for getting rid of wee smell/stains off the rugs - mix bicarb with white vinegar until you get a runny paste, then spread it all over the affected area and leave overnight. Just hoover once it's dry and the rug is spotless and smell is gone. Just do a patch test for colour fastness first.

I have a 5L bottle of white vinegar in the kitchen, it gets used for all sorts including wiping down the tops and cleaning the microwave.

Edited by merledogs

okey dokey, as soon as I finish in the kitchen today I will put down some receipes.

Yantan - when we moved here and had to blitz the place as it was filthy we used loads of products I'd never had in the house before. Within a day of being here, Clive had a very bad cough and the vet was sure it was because of the cleaning products, especially floor polishes :( I threw those ones away immediately.

• 3 weeks later...