UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Natural Cleaning

Abby

I have been going high tech a bit lately although I am also investigating some of the new nanotechnology in safe chemicals.

But its a bit Boys Toys playing with UVC sterilising wands ( ideal for dog transporting as is the vomit absorbing gel) . Ozone blasting is great its almost clean the whole house at the flick of a button, it even bleaches the net curtains.

I too use a steam cleaner, the secret to them is the special cloth, a version of which is now available as hand clothes excellent,,wipe, clean. polish without chemicals and then throw in the washing machine. I wonder iof I can get a babygrow made out of it for Teddy Texas?

Particle fogging is next on my list , evidently some very clever safe "juices" now available. Theres also a sonic mattress cleaner that I am waiting for--blasts bed bugs with Black sabbath?

But what I really want , if i had room , would be a ride on vacuum cleanner, wow.

Must end now - have to go and demoss the roof with copper wire>

:mellow: me? keep people waiting? Hm........ :laugh:

Soo....I like to keep things as simple as possible, so I use one general cleaner which is roughly this:

4 cups water

1/2 cup vinegar

1 tbsp borax

if you want, add a few drops of essential oil - I use lavender or tea tree normally

Warning: mix this in a wide necked jug or bowl and then transfer into squirter as it fizzes a lot and will bubble up in a narrow necked bottle and go everywhere :dry:

This I use for all standard surface cleaning, including regular bathroom & toilet cleaning (i.e. nothing heavy like limescale or stuck on disgusting stuff...).

For degreasing (up to and including very heavily greased or stuck on stuff) I use vinegar & water 50/50, or if I'm feeling extravegent (cos it's more expensive) I use a little lemon juice sprinkled on. That's gerat for really stubborn stuff. And a wirey scourer is all you need otherwise. This I use on everything like cooker, deep fat fryer, surfaces, utensils, extractor fan etc.

For oven cleaning, I sprinkle on bicab of soda (if there are stuck on bits or greasey areas), leave it for at least 30 mins or several hours if poss and then I add water and a squirt of liquid soap (Dr Bronner's) and scour, scrape with a spatula if necessary and wipe away.

Floors: depends on the kind. I have tiles and use 3 inches of hot water in the bottom of the bucket, a squirt of liquid soap, a couple of tablespoons of bicarb of soda and if it's greasey, a splash of vinegar.

I have other receipes for different floor surfaces and will look them up later.

Washing up: I am moving away from commercial liquids now and usually use this:

squirt liquid soap

sprinkle of bicarb of soda

vinegar if greasy stuff

Don't expect it to foam but it will wash better than an average washing up liquid.

erm.....that's all for now, put up requests for specific items and I'll attempt to answer more quickly!!

A few linkys:

Summer Naturals are a great site for bulk natural cleaning stuff.

Dr Bronner's is miraculous. I use their basic no fragrance olive oil based castille soap for everything: shampoo, body soap, dog soap, kitchen & bathroom cleaner...seriously I could cope with this stuff and vinegar alone! Read about it here and you can buy it from various places, including SUmmer Naturals.

oooh...a van outside! got to go!