UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Friends End Up In Your Spam Folder

reds

When I did my MA in 2002/3 we were a tight group of students and shared many things. One of our group had some struggles but she was a battler and she had dreams. She was a good, kind and loyal person.

After Uni I didn't see her again as she lived quite far away but she was always in my inbox by way of the joke emails she sent and sometimes the emails about how she was. I am ashamed to say I was not present in her inbox half as much :(. The joke emails sometimes annoyed me as they were the 'if you don't send on to X people then you won't have these good things happen to you...' type. Her name was regularly in my inbox.

Tonight I checked my spam folder and there was an email telling me that Gaby had passed away in her flat. The email was from a friend of Gaby's from years ago. Gaby was about the same age as me. She lost both her parents when she was a child and so had little family.

I took for granted those joke emails, I can't believe now how significant they were. We all have so much going on in our own lives, and our own struggles, but it really is the little things that matter, like an email or a phone call to a friend.