UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Dad'S Great!

Laura_E

My Dad is great! Not only has he driven me around to various places to pick stuff up for the stall on Sunday, but he surprised me today with two Oldies Club banners that he had made up at the last minute.

See picture below

Image154.jpg

I think he has done pretty good job, especially as he sorced the image himself. It also means that there are two spare banners now, which should come in handy.

I did get the parcel, thanks Amy flowers.gif

I also managed to get hold of some freebies from Wilkinsons. They gave me some dog treats and toys, so I am going to make up some doggy treat bags to sell. I tried getting some stuff from Tesco too, but they were total wank[1].gif as usual, not that I should have expected much from a company that supports battery farming, but that's a whole different topic!!!!

I am also going to pick some stuff up from Pets At Home tomorrow, so all in all I've been quite lucky. I just hope it doesn't rain on us now!

I need some suggestions please. Pets At Home have just given me tons of food, and I'm not sure how much to sell it all on for. I keep getting told that I am being unrealistic with my pricing. I thought 50p for two cupcakes was reasonable (my Mum has cooked 100 ohmy.gif ), but apparently 10p per cake is the going rate, which seems a bit cheap to me.

Pets At Home have given me a huge bag of James Wellbeloved kibble ,which normally sells for £36, but it has a rip in the bag so I'm not sure what a reasonable price would be. I also have four 2.5 kg bags of shop brand food that they gave me (none of these are damaged), but again, I'm not sure what to price them at. I keep thinking that people will be more generous when it comes to charity, but I know that isn't always the case!

We are also doing face painting and badge making (thanks to Ham and Petersham Youth Club for lending me the materials), and I thought that £2 for face painting and 50p a badge was a fair price, but again, I've been told that I am charging too much huh.gif

I'm starting to feel like Fagan!!

I think pricing is always a how long is a piece of string thing - could you try it at the amount you first thought of, then drop the prices if it looks like you are getting a lot of people walking on by or complaining about the price?

Sounds like your stall is going to be great, don't forget to take pics for those of us too far away to see it in real life!

With the JWB I guess it's a gamble, if you get someone who normally feeds it and needs a new bag then they'll probably buy it only slightly marked down, but if you don't get lucky, then to sell it to someone who doesn't normally buy it but wants a bargain, it would probably need to be half price or less... Sorry, that's not very helpful!

There are often a lot of charity stalls at shows, and people have a finite amount of money in their pockets to divide up between them, so I tend to go with a "pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap" approach. If we've been donated things, so have no costs to cover, then I'd tend to price them at a level that means I'm going to sell the lot - nothing worse than coming back from a show with piles of stuff to store until the next one!

I'm afraid that even on charity stalls people are generally looking for a bargain - those who really feel for the cause and want to do more will often just put some extra money in the collecting tin anyway. I'd personally go with something like half price on the food - if you sell all of it that's already a pretty good start to your day's takings!

For things like the cakes, 50p for two doesn't sound unreasonable at all - it's the sort of amount children will probably have in their hands to spend, and I imagine they will be very popular. As Victoria says, you can always drop your prices if they don't sell (good idea to take some paper and a marker pen so you can improvise new price tickets if you need to!)

Good luck, I'm sure it will go well tomorrow - and we definitely need some pictures! :flowers: