UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fugee Advice Needed

supafrisk

As previously mentioned, I have been busy making silver jewellery, however I have been approached by someone regarding selling them and I don't know what to charge :wacko:

The items are 99.9% silver (purer than sterling), although the pendant chains are sterling, as are brooch backs.

The sapphires are real, the emeralds are not, as firing real emeralds turns them cloudy, CZ emeralds appear to melt and lab created approved for torch firing for some reason "bleed" into the silver :unsure:

I am yet to try rubies, the one and only amethyst I used cracked and was replaced by a peridot in the leafy crucifix.

So far, the two Irish crucifixes have been bagged, a baroque type heavyweight silver sapphire crucifix, a shamrock brooch and I still have people asking if I can make this, that or the other :unsure:

I haven't charged anyone, but obviously I will have to cover the costs eventually.

Image.jpg

This is one of the emerald that 'bled'

Image035.jpg

This is the one that was oroginally fired with a square cut amethyst.

Image039-1.jpg

This was originally fired with a large natural emerald 6 weeks or more ago, but during firing the emerald went cloudy and fell out and the setting shrank so I put in a smaller peridot and turned the setting into a rough heart. This was one of my first attempts. Two others were stolen out of the car, along with about 5 loose chains for hanging them on. I was more than a bit gutted.

Image022-2.jpg

This is my current favourite, my celtic knot necklet and I wear it everywhere :wub:

Image021-1.jpg

Edited by supafrisk

If it helps any, in egypt, 925 italian silver sells at around 50 pence a gram which includes a small amount of commission for the seller when I buy it. The tourists can be charged anything from 80p - £2 a gram depending on where they have said they are staying and what they look like :laugh: you would obviously have to add on the cost of the stones onto that

And this is the sapphire one

Image014-3.jpg

I did think of doing it by weight, but the raw silver costs just over a pound a gram, and with most items weighing between 1 and 2 grams excluding chain, add on between £2.34 and £8.00 depending on thickness and type of chain, then the stones cost about 33p for CZ and around £2.50 - £4.00 for a real sapphire depending on size. Add the box in at £1.50 and you'd be talking anywhere between £6.00 and £10, going up to about £15 for the heavyweight baroque ones with the big natural sapphires in. I'm not sure people would pay that. However, I was desperate for a silver chain roughly 24" last month for one of the originals (sadly it was nicked along with the chain and several others and my Nokia N95 :angry: ) and the local jewellers charged me TEN POUNDS for the thinnest curb chain I've ever seen. Had I bought it from the wholesalers I use in the jewellery quarter it would have cost around £3.00 :ohmy:

I might leave it, do a few more items of a different nature and bung them in the next Fugee auction and see what happens :biggrin:

Did I say I can take casts of almost any object? :ph34r:

Edited by supafrisk

Emma they're lovely!

I wouldn't have the faintest idea about costs but you should get an idea if you google jewellery designers.

I want something now!

There's a possibility I may be doing small pendants/earrings using various breeds of dogs :ph34r:

£6.00 and £10, going up to about £15 for the heavyweight baroque ones with the big natural sapphires in. I'm not sure people would pay that.

Err, thats NOT expensive Emma.

I'm not a fan of dog breed type jewellery but I can see you selling a lot of items like that.