UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bob Martin Flea And Worming Treatments

Pingu

Are you specially referring to Bob Martin Products Rick ? or spot on's in general

my personal experience with Bob Martins products are they are not strong enough to work ( well not on Sri Lankan Street dogs ) , Dogstar had some donated and we found they did not do the job and we had to retreat ( the following month ) with Drontal and Frontline

Not for Bob Martins but one of the people who competes in obedience had a dog who started taking fits after treatment with Frontline.

This was reported by the vet and the makers did make a payment towards the vet treatment.

The dog continued to take fits for a year afterwards, but has been clear for several months now.

aye meant bob martin products in particular

and from chatting to vets today it would appear that not only are they pooh but have a bit of a reputation for being very bad for cats in particular

front-line is aparantly the safest.

We had a dog that collapsed half an hour after Frontline application-she died a few months later with a massive tumour in her neck and on her spleen :(

I always try and steer clear now of any chemical applications if possible.

I have never used Bob Martins products so can't say a lot about them but I have been told that they aren't very effective :(

I believe it may be Bob Martin spot on for dogs being used on cats that would be a problem Pingu - it apparently contains a significant degree of permethrin which in some doses is fatally toxic to a cat

Bob Martins own website specifically warns you not to use this product on a cat as it is "extremely poisonous" to them

http://www.bobmartin.co.uk/Fleas1.asp

This Daily Telegraph page commented on the possible problem nearly two years ago & obviously the stuff is still on sale

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/petsheal...t-subjects.html

Also see http://www.vmd.gov.uk/General/Adverse/current.htm for other products this may apply to

Edited by Ian

I don't ike these treaments but sadly there are times where we all have to use them.I try and treat as naturally as possible.

This is not good news and so many of us are ignorant to the facts, we buy these products as being safe and the correct product to use.

Many years ago (probably about 25, actually!) we tried Bob Martin spot on flea killers for our cats, but found they were ineffective (though I don't remember seeing any bad reaction from our cats or the dogs).

Since then I've always used flea treatments from the vet, mostly Frontline, because they work. We do have one cat whose skin seems to be sensitive to Frontline : unfortunately he's sensitive to fleas as well, so he gets, ISTR Advantage instead. That also works and he doesn't seem to react as badly to that.

Never tried Bob Martin again, but am assuming the formulation has not changed.

It may well be that the formulation has not changed but the problem is possibly that some people aren't reading the packets. Bob Martin do make a product for cats that doesn't contain permethin & they claim to be safe (why if it kills fleas they can't make this one product for both cats & dogs I'm not sure) but as I said they themselves specifically tell you not to use the dog product on cats due to it's toxicity to them

• 2 weeks later...

found bob martin to not really work and come across more cats and dog who had reaction to them compared to frontline. often allergic skin reaction.

It is cheaper by miles and easily available form supermarkets..... but you get what you pay for i think!

Never had proble with frontline and we used it on every dog who came into kenenls