UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Just Got My Insurance Renewal Through......

Tempest

I'm also with M&S and am seriously considering switching, the only claims we've made were for a small op to remove a suspicious lump which was benign and to have his ears done - the ears might flare up again but then again since he's been on thornit theres been no recurrance in 2 years so I should think it was a one off and I dont need to worry about them being excluded - the leg thing tho is a concern, dogs often gets lumpy bumpy bits which might need investigation so I don't know if that would be excluded or not - any one have any ideas? Nogs was removed about 3 years ago - or maybe longer.

We had an awful hike with Mabels insurance this year and on reading the policy that had her name spelt wrong and her age was wrong. We had a claim when she had the episode of vestibular which was ongoing as the vets were wondering whether to do a scan, when I explained this to the insurance person they said not to let the bill get too high and send regular claims in. When I did this they took so much off for her age and out of a £140 bill they paid about £40. Then I was told that because the policy was being renewed, i.e. new years payment I would have to pay the excess again.

I told them there and then that I would not be renewing and since then have been putting £50 in an ISA for veterinary use. My new policy for her was £46 and the reutrn as you can see was dreadful. As she is at least 12 I shopped around but could not get a decent quotation. What really annoyed me was that we have never claimed before after being with them for 6 years.

Good luck

Alison

Is it worth getting a quote for insurance elsewhere and having some exclusions?

That's what i was wondering Amanda :wacko: We could go with Axa at £23 a month and he'd have his arthritis, anal glands and neurological problems excluded but I'm wondering if it's worth it as it would cover us for anything else I think. The annoying thing is the neurological problem was only diagnosed a couple of months ago so I wish I'd switched before it was confirmed :angry:

Edited by Tempest

That's what i was wondering Amanda :wacko: We could go with Axa at £23 a month and he'd have his arthritis, anal glands and neurological problems excluded but I'm wondering if it's worth it as it would cover us for anything else I think. The annoying thing is the neurological problem was only diagnosed a couple of months ago so I wish I'd switched before it was confirmed :angry:

Having spent many a night pondering what to do myself. I eventually had to weigh up the chance of something major happening. It really is a gamble and it makes you mad you are damned if you do and damned if you don't! See I wonder if mine having had a fatty lump - if I excluded that - everytime he went for a test of a lump if it turned out to be fatty I'd be saddled for the whole bill test included? They really do have you over a barrel.

I can't get Ebbi insured unless I pay an arm and a leg. Not only is she over 8 but she is a rottie and apparantly they have more illnesses than other dogs. Well, Ebbi had a mammary strip at 4 years old and an ear infection at 5 so in consideration of all those illnesses and claims (I didnt claim for either) :angry: I really cant understand that policy. Most wont touch her and the ones that will want exhorbitant amounts with clauses. The other two are insured but she is not. I dread anything happening as we are on very low money with no savings and no credit cards. :( x

Ebbi has Flex-wize whixh is Synflex but with added MSM. A friend has several elderly dogs and swears by it so I use it for Ebbi. She is a big heavy girl and at 8 is quite old for a rottie but only has a very slight unlevelness in her right hind leg which doesn't hurt her or stop her running around. The one we have is raspberry flavoured. x

Edited by ranirottie

It's such a difficult decision :(

Bumpy wasn't insured although he was an "assisted adoption" dog. When I first registered him with my vets, they did say that insurance would have so many exclusions due to his blindness, that it may not be worth taking out cover. Apart from everything and anything to do with his eyes not being covered, the vet said the insurance company would probably put restrictions on the public liability insurance in that if Bumpy ran into the road and caused an accident, they would say it was because he couldnt see where he was going :rolleyes:

And after all that, Bumpy died from cancer, which had we known, would have been covered.

I looked at Flexwize rather than Synflex but it has a colouring in it and I know one Fugee's dog seemed to come up in sores and red patches after having it, so I've stuck with Synflex - have you tried it for Ollie before Jules?

No I've not tried it before Ange - Olls is on Seraquin tablets which we get from the vets and M&S pay for (well they pay for 80%). I'm really at a loss tbh - I'm wondering if it's worth just switching him to Axa with the exclusions and then if he did get anything like cancer or heart probs he'd be covered for that as Wendy said - I'm so confused and v. annoyed with M&S as I shouldn't ever have been in this position - that's the whole reason for insurance, I didn't expect it to go up nearly 400% in just over a year :angry: Thing is we've not even claimed that much for Olls - although he's not been well of late the vet bills haven't been that much as it's just the steroids.

I was thinking I could just buy a tonne of Seraquin and his steroids from the vets to last a good few months and then either cancel the policy or switch to Axa :unsure:

I have all my pets insured, but the hike for my 12 year old Birman cat with M&S was stupid, so I have cancelled it. So far he is not insured although the quote with 'More Than' was reasonable. M&S are getting ridiculous it is just so unfair. :angry:

No I've not tried it before Ange - Olls is on Seraquin tablets which we get from the vets and M&S pay for (well they pay for 80%). I'm really at a loss tbh - I'm wondering if it's worth just switching him to Axa with the exclusions and then if he did get anything like cancer or heart probs he'd be covered for that as Wendy said - I'm so confused and v. annoyed with M&S as I shouldn't ever have been in this position - that's the whole reason for insurance, I didn't expect it to go up nearly 400% in just over a year :angry: Thing is we've not even claimed that much for Olls - although he's not been well of late the vet bills haven't been that much as it's just the steroids.

I was thinking I could just buy a tonne of Seraquin and his steroids from the vets to last a good few months and then either cancel the policy or switch to Axa :unsure:

you can get a box of seraquin from vet uk for about £16 pounds( if you decide to cancel your policy), i buy all of my dogs supplements online and don't claim for them, i have all 3 of mine with petplan, never had any bother with them apart from when we tried to insure the cat and was informed a debit card wasn't acceptable :rolleyes: in between the forms being recieved by us filled in and sent back the cat got ran over and lost a leg :rolleyes:

i think a lot of people have been stung by m&s and i perhaps wonder if m&s have realised that people dread going without the insurance and so are tied to them so they do in effect have people over a barrel :angry: could be worth ringing round a few places and seeing what people can offer you and some places do a multi pet discount. i really hope you manage to sort something out :flowers: