UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Buffet Ideas

Abby

Having a major wibble here, as you might have noticed :rolleyes:

On Friday night I have a party of 16ish booked in for a buffet dinner. They want 'something nice', cold and more leaning towards nibbles or fork food, but a dinner size amount.

They have 2 vegetarians and one almost vegan (does eat eggs and my pastry, oh and my chocolate pudding). I have had very little ideas from them beyond 'I dunno, sausage rolls and quiche? but like, no expense spared y'know?'. Its for a pool team end of year get together, so they will be getting trashed.

Never done a buffet before so on quantities I am going to make educated guesses. But this is what I am considering. Any thoughts welcome :unsure:

Falafel (with yoghurt & coriander dressing on side) V

Quiche / tart meat or fish (undecided exact one)

Veg tart (struggling to make it non-cheesey for vegan) V

Mini yorkshire puds with horseradish & beef

Spicy mini pastries

Honey & mustard dressed mini sausages

Potato salad (non-dairy dressing) V

Green salad V

Panzanella V

Vodka cherry tomatoes

Pate (can do one meat, one veg)

Breads

Cheeseboard

Chocolate Mousse

Some fruity pudding thing

Do I also do antipasti or a baked ham? Worried ham is not fork food but requires cutting.

Bleurgh

Help..........

How about a Roasted Vegetable Tart to cover the vegan angle? :flowers:

And will the chocolate mousse be vegetarian? :unsure:

Those are my only questions as a veggie, but otherwise it sounds yummy!

Yes the mousse will defo be veggie and a roasted veg tart is utter genius!

:liebe94:

You can get vegan cheese for using in the quiche (possibly difficult to find though) but the roasted veg tart sounds very nice.

At a get together a while ago, one of the vegans brought along potato salad made with houmous and cashew nuts instead of mayonaise. It was so nice that I make it quite regularly now.

As a non veggie - I would expect to see a bit more meat/dairy choice after all there's only 3 veggies and the meat eaters out number them - I really dislike non dairy coleslaw/potato salad for example so it would be nice to see a big bowl of potato salad and coleslaw and maybe a separate smaller bowl for the veggies. The ham could be fork food if you preslice it into small finger sized pieces. A veggie pie with mashed swede, potato and leek would go down well plus has a Welsh connection :wink: