UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anybody Used A Glencon Headcollar?

mole

So *that's* what it is! My neighbour has been having trouble with her terrier pulling (amongst other things) and had a behaviourist out recently. She was raving about this all in one thing that apparently worked miracles in the hands of the behaviourist and ordered one but had to wait ages for it to arrive. It arrived. She used it once :rolleyes:

It does seem to do what it's intended for if you use it properly :)

Instead of controlling from under the chin, it controls from the side, like a collar and lead.

The only problem I had with it was that the 'tag' that you slide to tighten it( like a slip lead with a stop) was not secured in any way and could work loose. The headcollar could then slip off.

I used one successfully with a bitch who suffered pain from arthritis if I used a lead on her collar or a harness, as she leaned into them.

With the gencon, she had nothing to lean into and she accepted it where she hated a halti.

I would not trust my dog with it, as I did not feel it was secure.

I really really really hate the figure of 8 head collars. They tighten at possibly the most sensitive part of the dogs muzzle/neck - just under and round the jaw bone. Many of them don't loosen either which is frankly a crime against operant conditioning IMO

There are so many better alternatives.

I really really really hate the figure of 8 head collars. They tighten at possibly the most sensitive part of the dogs muzzle/neck - just under and round the jaw bone. Many of them don't loosen either which is frankly a crime against operant conditioning IMO

There are so many better alternatives.

True!! I never thought about that.

I would recommend the Kumfi Dogalter out of all of the headcollars.

Unlike most of the others it doesn't tighten, just gives you control. I have found that dogs seem to accept them better than other headcollars (probably because they don't tighten or ride up the face).

I would recommend the Kumfi Dogalter out of all of the headcollars.

Unlike most of the others it doesn't tighten, just gives you control. I have found that dogs seem to accept them better than other headcollars (probably because they don't tighten or ride up the face).

Would be interested to know what the difference is between the Kumfi and a Halti? I have looked at the Kumfi before but until you actually try them out it's difficult to tell.

Thanks to everyone for their experiences of figure of 8 and other headcollars. :speak_cool:

Ii is difficult to explain but if you look at the video on this site http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/halti.php

you will see that there is a loop hanging down under the chin that the lead clips on to. This loop tightens and slackens depending on what pressure is exerted on it. It also allows the headcollar to move slightly on the face, including riding up the face at the side if pressure is applied from the side.

If you then look at pictures of the dogalter http://www.kumfi.com/index.php?page=shop.p...t&Itemid=26 you will see it does not have this loose loop. The headcollar is solid, like a horse's headcollar. Nothing slips or moves, so once on the dog it stays put.

For a comparison - The halti is like a half check collar with a slipping loop which tightens and slackens the collar, whereas the dogalter is like a flat collar that fits snug and nothing moves on it.

My dog accepted the dogalter when he hated the halti as he felt the halti move on his face and it annoyed him.

Thanks blackmagic :)

Yes get it now :blush02:

Am used to Halti and Gentle Leader but always interested in anything else that's out there. Will be buying a kumfi to see if it makes a difference to some of the rescues :jumpy: I work with.

:flowers: everyone

The Figure 8 collars might be ok for narrower nosed dogs like greys/lurchers but to a dog without a thin muzzle they're awful. I tried one on Dharma and it hurt her like hell as it tightened right up and squeezed her smoosh into a tight puckered up knot. Horrible. I've got a Kumfi Dogalter here but it just slid around on her face. The Canny Collar was ok as it doesn't squeeze the muzzle, just lowered the head - but the strap was thin and easily twisted so rubbed a bit. I think she's basically got a problem with head halters with a face like hers, but the body alternatives like the Walkezee aren't an option any more because they exacerbated her neck problem by squeezing her shoulders and making her scream (and I doubt I'd use them again on any dog on reflection as I don't think that's the kind of control I want over any animal :( ).