UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Light Dog Food

loobie

Smudge (my parents' dog) is fed on naturediet senior/light food to keep his weight down.  He used to have problems with his front elbows and shoulders, so he's kept fairly slim.  He loves the food :)  He also occasionally gets the fish nature diet, as it is lighter than the other flavours, just for a change.

I have used low fat dog foods and they do work. Burns is good if you can afford it, but if you are looking for something cheaper then CSJ Old Champ is what I have a couple of mine on as it's only 6% oil (as opposed to Autarky which is 11% I think) :flowers:

I have used low fat dog foods and they do work. Burns is good if you can afford it, but if you are looking for something cheaper then CSJ Old Champ is what I have a couple of mine on as it's only 6% oil (as opposed to Autarky which is 11% I think) :flowers:

there's some Burns food in the auction with delivery included so you could try it and maybe get it a bit cheaper :wink:

I've never tried a "light" food, I just adjust the usual food, but I know mine lost a bit of weight on Naturediet fish as it's lower in calories (so I changed) and I also found Burns kept them quite lean and have heard others finding the same.

You could just try reducing the current food and bulking it out a bit with vegetables?

I've never tried a "light" food, I just adjust the usual food, but I know mine lost a bit of weight on Naturediet fish as it's lower in calories (so I changed) and I also found Burns kept them quite lean and have heard others finding the same.

You could just try reducing the current food and bulking it out a bit with vegetables?

Thats the problem Ange I have tried that but she WILL NOT touch vegetables even when 'hidden'.

Alex she is on CSJ now but she will be one teeny dog eating the light food so I am looking for something in smaller sacks as the huge ones will last forever, she is only 13.5kgs but the vet wants her alot lighter (about 10.5kgs) as her arthritis is quite bad now and she can only do very small walks, which is also not helping as she was extremely active before.

I may try to get some samples of the Burns and then look on the auction

thanks everyone for your helpfulness :liebe94:

If you phone Burns, they're very helpful and will send samples :wink: Actually, most of the better companies will - when Poppy was poorly and being really picky with her food, I phoned Burnes, JWB, Arden Grange etc etc and they all sent samples, in some cases a few bags of each which was great as I ended up with about 4 weeks worth of food with a different/make flavour each day :laugh:

I have just emailed Burns actually and hopefully I will get something to try, I found the only supplier of arden grange in Cardiff this afternoon so have some samples of their stuff too, they gave me 8 100gm packs :) and a little measuring cup :rolleyes: will get onto JWB tomorrow.

Hopefully I can find something that suits her and nicely fills her tummy.

Burns are sending me some samples of the High Oats, I also found a local supplier and have got some samples from there too :)

Ash didnt like the Arden Grange so hopefully she will like the Burns. I like the idea of the Burns too as it is Welsh, so there should be less food miles to travel and I will still be supporting a Welsh company like I did with CSJ

Wendy the food in the auction isnt the High Oats which is the light variety :mecry:

Burns are sending me some samples of the High Oats, I also found a local supplier and have got some samples from there too :)

Ash didnt like the Arden Grange so hopefully she will like the Burns. I like the idea of the Burns too as it is Welsh, so there should be less food miles to travel and I will still be supporting a Welsh company like I did with CSJ

Wendy the food in the auction isnt the High Oats which is the light variety :mecry:

Hmmm.... when ever I've fed mine on Burns, they've lost weight, and they've tended to be on the Lamb & Rice and I wasn't actually wanting them to lose weight :wacko: