UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Adder Warning

Neoclassic Perk

from Liz Jay on Beardie list, cross posted with permission....

Liz Jay wrote:

An old friend of mine has issued her yearly message about snakes. Her son-in - law is an expert on snakes and has said that it's time to warn people that adders are out and very toxic.

They will still be in the area of their hibernation, particularly roots of silver birch,and heathland and there can be up to about 20 of them in one place.

If the weather gets colder,they will stay around there until it warms up,then they will disperse in small groups of 3 -4 until they have found a mate then eaten.

If a dog gets bitten at this time,it is unlikely to survive,unless very prompt treatment can be given,and as the snakes are very sluggish,they will be very slow moving.

Please cross post to any other Groups that this might be of value to.

Hopefully none of us will be unfortunate enough to come across the problem.

A Labradoodle on another forum I subscribe to is on a drip at the moment.

A useful tip is to always carry Piriton or similar Anti histamines, a small/medium sized dog can have half a tablet, a larger dog a whole one - better a very sleepy dog than a dead one :(

Thats useful to know. One of my dogs stood on one last year. and I also walk another two on heathland every day. Can the piriton save their lives? I may well buy some just in case.

I wouldn't rely on it to save a life but it may buy you some time.

If a dog is bitten you need to keep it as still as possible. Moving speeds up the circulation of the poison, so a dog should be kept calm and should be carried, if possible. A makeshift stretcher can be made out of a jacket or coat and long branches.

A cold compress over the wound will help.

Get the dog to the nearest vet asap. If you can phone ahead and warn them you are on their way.

I also read the advice that, if you walk in an area where adders are known to be then carry details of the nearest vet with you.

A useful tip is to always carry Piriton or similar Anti histamines, a small/medium sized dog can have half a tablet, a larger dog a whole one - better a very sleepy dog than a dead one :(

Piriton (chlorphenamine) is routinely presribed by vets for allergies in dogs. My Timmy (14 kilos) has up to two a day in the spring/summer without any drowsiness :)

There are 3 or 4 old railway lines very near me that is used

by a lot of dog walkers (me included), I only ever take my lot

along them in the dry as they are so low to the ground but I have

kept them on lead the last few times as there is a lot of branches

down on the ground and masses of leaf litter around the roots of

all the trees, adder poison is painful in humans, can be lethal in dogs

didnt know about piriton though

adders are brownish greenish with a zig zag pattern down their bodies

and blend in perfectly to leaf litter and undergrowth

Timely reminder - thanks :wink:

We were out with dogs on Shaptor (Dartmoor) this aft and hubby was in front with Buz and asked me to hold him for a min (I had Eve) and i thought he'd found a carcass that he didnt want dogs to eat, but he was poking the leaves about and was sure he'd seen a snake :(

dontworry about poking about he was a RM so is a trained killer :D