UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Food Poisonous To Dogs

ranirottie

Hmmm, I'm no vet, but I do find some items on the list debatable (for one thing I would never consider 'pennies' food :wacko:). A little while ago I read a piece written by a vet in a dog magazine - can't remember which one though - which said that many foods that were considered toxic are only toxic when given in large quantities. Now I would never give my dogs onions, but I've read more than once that onions can only be fatal when a dog eats a minimum weight of 20% of his body weight in onions, which for Mal would amount to 5.5 kgs! Onion powder in a pot of baby food would be negligable, as long as you didn't give them this exclusively every day, but then health complications would be due to an inappropriate diet rather than the onion powder in itself, IMHO :unsure:

I've also read that, while there is a small risk to garlic, when given in small doses, the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Avocadoes are a great source of vitamin E and one source that my vet suggested to give to Mal, as his cancer requires a diet that is high in vitamin E.

We eat lots of tomatoes, have done so for years, without ever noticing any side effects other than Kiera developing a taste for it, and trying to steal them. The first thing that she 'stole' when she came to live with us was my tomato plants, which she chomped up, stems, leaves n all.

Also apple pips etc might contain cyanide, but in such small quantities that dogs have to eat a whole jar full of the things for them to be effective, and I've yet to see a dog coming across a jar full of appleseeds and eat them. Cyanide is lethal for humans as well, but I've never heard of kids falling by the wayside in their 100's, or eating an apple core with the pips in it. One of my friends gives her dog ground apricot kernels as yet another powerful supplement against cancer, and so far the dog (13 years old, Mal's old kennel mate! :)) is still going on 5 hour walks.

Sorry if I seem to be rambing on, but since starting to cook for my guys I've read up loads on the subject, and I do get a bit annoyed when it appears that all we can give our dogs is commercial dog food or else they will suffer and die. If I had found that my guys weren't thriving in any way, shape or form I would not persevere with giving them home cooked food, made with human grade ingredients, but as yet another vet said when I discussed it with him: the dogs are proof that it works :)

Does seem a bit of an odd list :unsure: Reading through it, there's a few things on there that I've given my dogs - Poppy had organic baby food when she was very poorly, they've had eggs, cooked liver, potatoes, raw fish etc.

And I find it very strange that string is listed :wacko: Since when has string been a food? :rolleyes: :laugh:

am confused by several things but "rice in small quantities is ok"...i thought most good complete dog foods have a fairly high amount of rice and most vets reccomend rice as a good food for sensitive stomachs, obviously with chicken too. and commercial dog food would be no good either since it prob contains at least one of the listed ingredients..i know butchers isnt exactly great stuff but it has ham and mushroom flavour food, both are on the bad list.i know people need to be aware what's bad for a dog, and i'm sure there are dogs out there who have had severe reactions to all the above, especially the pennies and string but the list is a little scary.

That list is ridiculous, if those foods are so harmful to dogs what about us? As Billymalc says cyanide is as lethal to humans as it is to dogs, yet I have been eating apples, core, pips and all my entire life. Moreover if babyfood is bad how bad must it be for babies then who are in many cases much smaller than dogs? :wacko: It's long been said that dogs were healthier when they were fed scraps and barf rather than processed and formulated commercial dog food and I really do have to wonder if these lists and warnings about toxic food for dogs have their origins in the pet food industry.

All my dogs, including Nog have had regular quantities of many things on that list with absolutely no ill effects - yesterday Nog came home from the Vets with a post op care sheet - the sheet said to feed boiled rice and chicken following the operation as it was kinder on his tummy yet if I were to beleive that list my vet was advising me to poison my dog. :rolleyes:

Olaf my lurcher loved grapes, now grapes are expensive so granted he never used to have more than 4 or 5 at a time but I never saw an ill effects, all my dogs have enjoyed the odd nibble of chocolate, either a bit from the bar I am eating or licking the pots from chocolate desserts or a bit of cake (ooo cake thats eggs, sugar & chocolate *gasp*!!) When my GSD was seriously ill with distemper the only thing that kept him alive was raw eggs, bovril/oxo cubes, oats & coooked ham - all things that are on that list.

Nog eats leftovers about the only concession I would make to the things on that list is that I tend to put large quantities of raw onion from my donner kebab in the bin before he gets the rest but he still has the odd slice or two that I can't pick out, the donner will also have chilli sauce and garlic mayo and lemon juice on it oh yeah and the pitta is wheat. Home made meals here will usually contain either cooked onion or onion powder or garlic, or tomatoes, or ham, or bacon or.....................well pretty much most of whats on that list actually. :rolleyes:

Of course things fed in large quantities can cause problems, thats just common sense, but theres a huge difference between giving a dog the last bite of your mars bar and letting him scoff an entire box of black magic.

I agree some of the things on the list would only be harmful if fed in enormous quantities. Personally I'd never give a dog chocolate, grapes or raisins as I've heard of cases where dogs have reacted to relatively small quantities. It's not likely, but I can't see any point in feeding things that I know can be harmful.

I think the list makes a good point that dogs and humans have very different digestive systems and matabolisms, and I wouldn't assume that because something is OK for humans it will be OK for dogs.

Sadly a friend lost her little dog after he ate a box of gravy granules which contained high amounts of concentrated onion powder. Obviously gravy granules aren't something you'd deliberately feed a dog by the handful, but it has made me wary of things containing onion powder, though I imagine the amount in a jar of baby food (or a jug of gravy for that matter) isn't enough to do much harm.

My old dog, Romany, had liver every day of her life, it was the only meat she would eat, if I droped an egg she was out there liking it up before I could pick up the shell, the ony thing she stole was fresh vegetables, potatoes and carrots in particular, and fruit. She lived to be 14 so she didn't do too bad

Barbara