UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Some Sad News

AngieK9

Our beautiful German Shepherd girl Jade left us yesterday. She was 10 years old last week, I have been too upset to post. She has been getting worse on her hind legs for a while but still lively and only went to the pinewoods last weekend and was determined to get round.

She was quite bright and eating and everything but struggling to get upstairs & into the car and had been messing in the house so I had slept downstairs with her this week but yesterday morning she couldn't walk very well and looked sad and drank a lot. I was off work (I only work in the morning) and was spring cleaning the house all day and she was following me around and watching me but sleeping a lot more than usual and in the workshop/utility room that she has never done before. I started to think her time had come and we would have to take her back to the vets that night when Bill came home from work and I spoke on the phone to him about this. I knew he would be upset as Jade was his "princess" and he thought the world of her and we have been dreading taking her to the vets for the last time, we had both said only last week it would be best if she just went in her sleep, but that has never happened before and we have had to take our dogs to the vets and it is so upsetting.

Anyway she took that decision away from us as she fell asleep yesterday afternoon in the hall and didn't wake. I had been talking to her and fussing her all day as I was cleaning and asked her to move so I could mop the hall.

She didn't move and I knew that she had gone.

I cuddled her and put her on her bed and let the other dogs take a look at her. Tikaani didn't appear to bother, Merlin sniffed at her but Saskia let out a howl and sat by her for a while, then lay next to her for an hour until Bill came home. I put a blanket over Jade and Saskia kept taking it off again and pawing at her. Saskia thought Jade was her mum and lay on the sofa every night since we got her sucking Jade's fur.

We took Jade to the vets and will get her ashes back next week, we will scatter them in the pinewoods with Tishka's (my husky).

We both cried last night and again today when we took the dogs to the woods for the first time ever without Jade, Merlin seemed to be looking for her in the car (she was very noisy and shouted all the way there every time).

Today is the first day in 20 years that Bill has not had a German Shepherd in the house and about 40 years for myself, it is so quiet and strange.

We went shopping this morning and I found myself looking for certain treats that Jade liked then when we got back it was so quiet, no sound of Jade barking, opening the dog flap or looking through the window.

It wasn't long ago that we took Jade to the BDRNE dog show and she won best veteran. She helped raise funds for Freshfields, Animals In Need and the PDSA as well as visiting the children's home I used to work at.

We will miss her terribly, she was the most beautiful natured and pretty girl and she looked after her teddy bear from being an 8 week old pup until now.

Run free darling Jade

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic