UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What I've I Done

yena

It's thousands of individual people thinking their one purchase won't make a difference that allows the industry to continue. It's not about legislation and we in a supposedly civilised society should not be relying on the government to prevent such an easily avoidable cruelty. Like any business puppy farming is about supply and demand. It's only when people stop buying and thinking it won't hurt that puppy farming or any other form of irresponsible animal breeding will stop.

Yeah this pup has a nice home. Her Mum is probably pregnant again already :mecry:

I'm sorry but I just had to comment on this. Absolutely right, one person and one purchase won't make much difference but it's exactly the same as the 'if one person just gave £1' scenario. Each person who doesN'T adds to the pot of people who DON'T and when that group adds up and gets bigger, that's when it makes a difference to the industry. Every person does count in the long run.

But she still did and to be honest, that's what makes this even harder to comprehend :shrug: To know how shockingly awful the lives for puppy farm dogs are, to read the real stories from people who have taken on the dogs deemed commercialy unviable and due to their background they have such serious health problems that they can't lead normal, happy lives.

Yes, I am taking this personally. And this is why:

Poppy - 7 years as a puppy machine - 3 years as a pet dog, one year of that in and out of the vets due to heart failure

Dolly - 6 years as a puppy machine - 1 year as a pet dog, 4 months in and out of the vets due to tumour.

I'm not going to apologise for taking this so personally. This forum promotes animal welfare. What concern has there been for the welfare of the bitch who produced this pup and the other dogs and bitches kept in appalling conditions because there are people who will buy from pet shops.

If our own members aren't educated, what chance to we have of educating anyone else?

It doesn't help educating thousands and thousands if they go ahead and buy one anyway.

I fully agree with what has been said above.

I haven't adopted an ex-puppy farm dog but this thread has reduced me to tears of frustration. If people on here still go ahead and do it when they have already got rescue dogs and know all about puppy farming and have even signed petitions against the shop they bought from, really, how can we get through to the average member of the public.

all these thousands of individual people buying a puppy farmed pup are what keeps the puppy farming trade in business.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But she still did and to be honest, that's what makes this even harder to comprehend :shrug: To know how shockingly awful the lives for puppy farm dogs are, to read the real stories from people who have taken on the dogs deemed commercialy unviable and due to their background they have such serious health problems that they can't lead normal, happy lives.

Yes, I am taking this personally. And this is why:

Poppy - 7 years as a puppy machine - 3 years as a pet dog, one year of that in and out of the vets due to heart failure

Dolly - 6 years as a puppy machine - 1 year as a pet dog, 4 months in and out of the vets due to tumour.

I'm not going to apologise for taking this so personally. This forum promotes animal welfare. What concern has there been for the welfare of the bitch who produced this pup and the other dogs and bitches kept in appalling conditions because there are people who will buy from pet shops.

If our own members aren't educated, what chance to we have of educating anyone else?

It doesn't help educating thousands and thousands if they go ahead and buy one anyway.

Puppy farms (as I said previously) are evil. Good on you guys who have taken on ex-puppy farm dogs but you are supporting these places in just the same way (even via rescue) as people who buy the pups from pet shops. Fact of life. the puppy farms don't care who take their dogs as long as they don't have the responsibility and get their money - if the breeding bitches die, what do they care? Same with the pups. It's brilliant that you have rescued these dogs (as I have) but frankly it is the same thing.

Yes, one person DOES make a difference

If anyone takes this personally, they really shouldn't. It's not a personal argument. It's about Puppy farms.

Puppy farms (as I said previously) are evil. Good on you guys who have taken on ex-puppy farm dogs but you are supporting these places in just the same way (even via rescue) as people who buy the pups from pet shops. Fact of life. the puppy farms don't care who take their dogs as long as they don't have the responsibility and get their money - if the breeding bitches die, what do they care? Same with the pups. It's brilliant that you have rescued these dogs (as I have) but frankly it is the same thing.

If anyone takes this personally, they really shouldn't. It's not a personal argument. It's about Puppy farms.

this is not the first time that this has been said to me. That taking in ex puppy farm bitches is as bad as buying the pups but I am afraid I can't see it like that. I have one puppy farm bitch and am about to take on another. She was "not a good mother" so she will not be used again.My Pixi is only just over a year and so will my next one be. I can offer them both a good loving home so where is the wrong in that?x

Puppy farms are about making money. If people BUY puppies then they're fueling them. Taking in a bitch who would otherwise have been killed or dumped is not funding the farms!

Exactly.

What are we supposed to be doing? Congratulating someone for lining the puppy farmers pockets? What kind of message does that give out? As I said, this forum is about Animal Welfare. That's not something that is high on the list of priorities for the farmers.

this is not the first time that this has been said to me. That taking in ex puppy farm bitches is as bad as buying the pups but I am afraid I can't see it like that. I have one puppy farm bitch and am about to take on another. She was "not a good mother" so she will not be used again.My Pixi is only just over a year and so will my next one be. I can offer them both a good loving home so where is the wrong in that?x

Nothing. Nothing at all. Because via the rescues, these girls are getting a second chance. Let's not forget, these girls are the lucky ones; the ones who don't get PTS (if they're lucky, its done by a vet), dumped etc :(

I posted after a few more comments had been made and the board didn't allow me to modify my post.

I agree 1000% with what Ange and sproggie14 have written above :mecry: :mad:

I would not have had any of my 3 if it would have meant that I would have had to buy them, and line the pockets of someone who contributes to the suffering of animals in such a nasty way!

And Cher, Pixi "not a good mother" at just one year old????? The poor little thing is only a baby herself!! :mecry: :mad:

thats like saying if you take in a retired greyhound you are supprting racing, trainers or puppy farmers could n't care less what has happened to their waste, they would just be killed if people didn't take them.

I am very pleased that people have spoken out against buying farmed dogs.

I had 5 jack russels we liberated from a puppy farmer, all died around 10 years of age. As if there weren't enough in rescues.

Di, what do you think would happen if rescues refused to take dogs from puppy farms?

I can't see that, on a purely business basis?

A puppy farm is a factory that makes puppies. It makes money by selling its products to shops that sell to the public, yes?

So, the products are the puppies, and the reason for running the factory is the profit that can be made on selling the puppies?

If someone comes and takes away unsaleable products which have manufacturing faults (sick pups), or old broken equipment (old bitches and studs) then how does that support the business? I suppose it reduces costs slightly in that the factory will not have to pay for disposal, but nobody is going to run a business because people are interested in the leftovers. The reason the business exists is because the sales of 'perfect' products are profitable, surely?

As an extension of that, if the shops that sell the puppies find that having puppies on sale in their shops helps, or does not harm, their sales of other lines, such as pet food, then there is no financial incentive for them to stop selling puppies. Therefore, a good way to encourage petshops not to support puppy farming is not to buy anything from them at all, but to find a different supplier. Petitions are all very well, but if there is one thing that every business owner understands, it's lost sales. Sign a petition but keep shopping, and most businesses are going to conclude that your concern isn't great enough that they need to do anything to keep you as a customer.

I am not sure that the only way to eliminate nasty things is legislation. Sainsbury's has just stopped selling battery eggs, for example. That's not a change that has happened because of legislation, it's because Sainsburys believe that they can increase their sales of other products by cutting this particular line, as people percieve them as a better more ethical choice. I don't see why the same pressure should not work on pet shops. Legislation would be better, but laws are difficult and expensive and not many people can make them. Not buying anything from pet shops that sell puppies is something that everyone should be able to do.

I don't know what to say to Yena about her new puppy. I wish she'd made a different choice. I hope she will find a different place to buy her dog food.

Edited by cycas