UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Life Without Dogs?

ClazUK

You were talking about house rabbits Claire - buns are more workfriendly than dogs, and cheaper to board too, no question.

Though I'm kind of wondering how much of this strain is down to Matt being such an unfeasible distance away? All that travelling must be a right pain.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, I'm thinking of life beyond Matt, to be honest. I don't think we have a looooooooooong future ahead of us, we're just bimbling along at the moment cos it suits us both :unsure:

The house bunny thing was just a whim, I'm not going to act on it.

Claire , me and Mark are the same, we have for the past 24 years always had dogs, for the last 20 years, 6 plus dogs. As much as we love our dogs, we plan to not replace them as they pass on, we have had seperate holidays or camping while Liam was growing up. Our life has been about dogs really. We want to go further and if we so desire not come back.

I had a couple of years without a dog after my springer died, I was working too far from home to get back at lunch etc etc . There is no doubt dogs can be a tie but as someone mentioned the novelty of living a totally 'no dependants' life only having me to think about sort of wore off :rolleyes: I started fostering for OC as I knew an older dog would suit my lifestyle better & here I am again having 'failed' with 2 permanent residents. It must be difficult doing all the travelling to Matt's with the dogs & that probably doesn't help. Try it see what happens/how you feel - I just think eventually if you have always been around dogs the need to have another takes over & makes you somehow overcome any potential problems :) waste of a great dog owner too :flowers:

Thanks :flowers to all of you. I think what's brought this to the front of my mind is that Guinness is getting more and more frail and I'm wondering how Sky would cope without canine company.

I've been having these exact same thoughts since Spike got poorly. I was really worried about how Cherry would be as she takes lots of strength from him. I think she will be ok though as she has been a little star the many times she has had to be left. I haven't been without a dog since i got married (26 years), but my circumstances have changed a lot over the years, giving me less time with the dogs. I don't think I am ready to be totally "dog free", though, but do not want to get another when Spike has to leave us.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to be 'dog-free' for a years. I'm lucky Henry is an easy dog and as long as he has been fed and taken for a walk, he will quite happily sit and watch TV while I go out :rolleyes:

It did cross my mind a few years ago when I was moving every 6 months in rented accommodation that it would be easier if I was dog free, but i cant imagine my life without him.

Due to no having any close family round to mind him, I rely heavily on kennels and have no hesitation in putting him there as I know he will be safe. I do find it a bit strange when people say they couldnt bear to put their dogs in kennels to go away - there is so much of the world to see :) I live for my holidays and as soon as Henry goes in the kennels for 7 days then thats 'me' time as the rest of my year is taken up with poo picking/vet bills/day care bills etc etc :)

I just realized my post seemed a bit sanctamonious. (Can't spell)

If you try being dog free I think you will soon find out if you actually want to be that way or not.

I was so used to my life revolving round the dog I did not know what to do with myself when Lucy died. Lottie popped up at the right time for me and even though she drives me mad some times I would not be without her.

I don't think I'll ever be dog free. For that matter, I don't think i'll ever be multiple dog free. I don't like myself when I'm not around dogs and I'm certainly not happy not being around dogs. I have never understood the "tie" that people mention, I simply don't see dogs as a tie. I can't suddenly bimble off without making plans, and to kennel all the dogs and cats usually costs as much as a holiday, when I go. It doesn't stop me though, I simply just add that cost to the holiday and that's what my holiday costs. When people have to go home early from somewhere to get their kids fed/to bed etc etc etc, noone says that they are a tie and I see my pets as no different (though my pets are in no way a replacement child!), I just simply don't see them as a tie but a benefit and for that benefit, I make arrangements. I've lost relationships, friends and family from visiting or inviting me out, but quite frankly, I'd rather live my life my way than live it theirs...

There's always a way to make things work, it's harder than most people have to work at it who don't own pets, but hey, who said life was meant to be easy? :unsure:

I do find it a bit strange when people say they couldnt bear to put their dogs in kennels to go away - there is so much of the world to see :)

I wouldn't tell anyone else not to kennel their dog but I honestly can't imagine doing it with mine so that I can go on holiday. There is lots of the world to see, lots I would love to see, but I just don't think *I* would be able to leave my dogs in kennels to do it. Each to their own eh :wink:

I wouldn't tell anyone else not to kennel their dog but I honestly can't imagine doing it with mine so that I can go on holiday. There is lots of the world to see, lots I would love to see, but I just don't think *I* would be able to leave my dogs in kennels to do it. Each to their own eh :wink:

Very much so.. as you know I travel extensively and on long haul, long trips, which can be up to a month each time. My dogs simply don't care that i'm away. They really don't even look back when they're in kennels... my old bridge baby Buster wasn't kennelled by his original owner for six years because he was said to hate it but once I'd tried him, he was fine... never ever minded going. I don't feel bad about it because they are looked after and given more attention in the time they're kenneled than i probably could when they're at home! I think a lot has to do with the kennels you choose though - my dogs adore the kennel owner and his kennel maid, but it's a small intimate kennels and in larger premises it may be different. I've never put my life on hold though because I own dogs, and never will!

I think a lot of this comes from your perception of kennels. I can promise you (as Helly will) that a lot of dogs LOVE kennels and get really silly and happy on arrival. Mine wag when we arrive and never look back at me.

Ive had dogs for the last 18 years and now have 3 fairly young dogs who I hope will be around for a long time. Im not a holiday person and have no desire to travel and very rarely go out socially so the dogs are my life. Also no partner and not looking for one so its just me and the mutleys. Some may think that sounds a pretty sad existance but im happiest when out with them or just curling up on the sofa. I also only work part time so plenty of time at home with them.

Dee, I would love to go on the adventures you have - well some of them anyway! - but I will have to wait for a dog-free period in my life at some point or sort out a dog sitter.

Claz, I know of a very good kennels near to me, that I would recommend to others. I just don't want to leave my dogs in kennels so that I can go on holiday, that's just me. I'm not criticising anyone else for doing it ok :)

Sno spent two years in rescue and he would be my main worry, he's a very sensitive soul and he got rather stressed out in the rescue kennels (which was a brilliant one where he had two "mums" who loved him very much) towards the end and I don't think I would ever put him back into a kennel environment through choice. He might cope fine, I just don't want to be on a beach on the other side of the world when I find out he doesn't :wink: The others would probably be ok, but I don't want to do it. Like I said, each to their own.

I know there are tons of dogs who have a good time in kennels, but I can also think of some who have been in kennels - very good kennels - and the owner has said they won't put them in again as they didn't enjoy the experience at all.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic.

I don't kennel mine either, but I have in the past [at WL] Dennis couldn't care less where he is [tho he really doesn't like the car] Foodog cares very much and just isn't suited to kennels at all, so I don't put her in them :)

I suppose it is a tie because it means I can't do all the things I would if I didn't have them [working full time for example] but I have kids as well and they tie me to certain hours as much if not more so than the dogs.

I don't think I'd ever like to be dog free for any length of time. However, I will not be replacing the Merle dogs as and when they die cos 5 is too many. I love them all but if I had my time again I would only have 2 or maximum 3 dogs so that I could board them with a dogsitter if I wanted to go away anywhere (can't really do that with 5).

Whether I get more dogs sort of depends on what stage I am at in my life when all my current ones die. Having said that, you never know what is around the corner :rolleyes: