UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Homechecking And Pondering...

purple_mog

So tonight was two more RSPCA homechecks - one was lovely and the other was....odd.

Person just wasn't that friendly and seemed to resent my asking the various questions? She certainly wouldn't pass if it was for a collie from Wiccaweys but don't know about the RSPCA. I mean, nothing horrid exactly, but their existing dog is a very overweight lab, about 11yrs old and clearly struggling with walking - I'd suspect in some pain, and they didn't seem that bothered, haven't been to the vets in over a year, no vaccinations etc.... Hmmmm shall need to think a while on that one before I make any comments on their form!

*mods feel free to delete rescue names if you need to :)*

I mean, with most of the rescues I do homechecking for, the people are really appreciative of the time we give up, and when I get to the final question along the lines of 'would I leave my dog with this person' I very rarely hesitate. When I mentioned that with getting a younger dog (they want a 2-3 yr old) they might need to do an extra walk with the young dog she was very dismissive and said its fine we'll just get a ball for it. :unsure:

Not really expecting any answers, just needed to get my thoughts out!

I think you have to go with your gut instinct on these things Mog. It sounds like you already know what your answer would be. Its down to the rescue to make a decision anyway so you dont have to worry about that side. I have recommended an older dog only before when the homecheck was for a young dog as I didnt think the couple could cope with a young bouncy dog. :rolleyes:

Agree that it's a gut instinct in many ways.One of the parameters I always use is condition of existing pets,not necessarily canine and I would be concerned about an obese,struggling to move dog that hasn't seen a vet - and it's the last point that would bother me intensely as no assistance appears to have been sought for her :( And a 2 year old dog will certainly need a lot more exercise than a ball thrown a few times for it.

I've homechecked for the RSPCA in the past and think that in some cases, the standard of homes isn't always as good as potential homes for the smaller rescues.

I can only think that a lot of the RSPCA centres, being open to the public, get a lot more home offers and it could be harder for them to determine the quality of a home. Obviously this is where the homecheck is so important! The RSPCA centre near to me gets especially busy at weekends and sometimes it seems like people go there for a day out :wacko: I guess its easy for people to wander round, see a dog, decide they want it without giving it much thought.

I've homechecked for the RSPCA in the past and think that in some cases, the standard of homes isn't always as good as potential homes for the smaller rescues.

absolutely! I'm very aware that I'm probably a stricter homechecker since I add in a fair few questions of my own, and really wish they were a bit more careful. I probably wouldn't take a dog from there myself :unsure: I have found it a great opportunity to explain the benefits of neutering, not breeding, insurance and rewards based training methods though so hope I'm doing some good :wink:

Its hard isn't it - I mean I'm sure on some level a dog will have an ok home with them, but I feel very sad visiting homes where it seems as though the dog isn't really a valued member of the family with emotions and needs, just a dog :mecry: This person did take the dog to the vet a year ago for some kind of wee cyst in its ear?

well..dare i say it..i work for an RSPCA branch and on the odd occasion we ask other branches to home visit for us if the home is out of our area. Anyway..a certain home was passed as "would have no hesitation rehoming one of our dogs there" by their homevisitor..so we let our dog out thinking all was well..all was not well, the dog had issues settling so our home visit coordinator decided to make the trip out of area to see if she could help the owners rather than the poor dog have to come back. needless to say the house would never have passed a home visit for our branch..not a single interior door, no secure garden (which yes is a question on the initial application form that they had said yes to) and the dog was not being excerscised beyond the garden (young lively dog,they had said would get 2hrs plus excerscise). For the sake of the dog, if you have ANY reservations at all or concerns please pass them on to the branch, ok they may not decide to act on it but at least you said what you thought, maybe they can keep do a follow up visit once the dog is in the home to see all is ok. I know there are some differences between the big rescues and the small independant ones, i've done things for both, and i also find there can be a difference between different branches as well.I've done home visits for independant and for work, and although the rspca one has a stricter paper format, the actual content was roughly the same. The homevisit was tailored to the specific dog in both cases though, i'm unsure if other branches home visit for specific dogs or if they check the house then they can have any dog.Either way..please pass on your concerns, the homevisit is there to sort the good homes from the not so good, people don't always tell the whole truth on application forms and you can't judge by appearence so the home visit really is the most important part.

I do always write lots of comments and notes, and although the final decsion is not ours, we are expected to indicate a decision on the form :unsure: This particular branch just homechecks for dogs in general and I don't know how strict they are to be honest. I'm sometimes not sure if I'm being too strict or harsh??

I've had homechecks where people have mentioned using choke chains as they did with their existing dog, and I have advised against them telling them of the damage and that they are now considered cruel and outdated. The home were very amenable and took what I said on board and asked for suggestions of alternatives. Though this might have been a negative issue (using choke chains) it was positive as they were willing to listen to suggestions/advice. Your home doesnt sound like very much like they would listen to any advice and act up on it:unsure: So no I dont think you are harsh.

you sound like you're acting in the best interest of the dog, the excerscise issue alone would be ringing alarm bells for us. And the state of the current pet is usually a good indicator, although obviously sometimes people take on dogs with issues they can do nothing about (it doesn't sound like that's the case from what you've said). The last deciding factor is always the people and how they are with you, if they were not friendly, welcoming, helpfull or warm what are they gonna be like with an underexcerscised young dog who gets hyper in the house from boredom and wees on the carpet..i'd say go with your gut instinct just make sure you make your reasons clear to the branch.

I think the RSPCA varies enormously by branch. The small independant branch (with no funding at all from HQ) that I homechecked for were every bit as careful as the gold standard (in my eyes Wiccaweys).

Its not my decision, but I have said to a rescue before that I wouldn't put my dog there for a holiday. And IMHO if the home resents the homecheck they don't get it.

I know they'll get a dog from somewhere - maybe a rescue that doesn't check, or a private rehoming, but I don't want to be party to anything that makes me uncomfortable. Its bad enough when they seem perfect and turn out not to be. Or, as in one case, when the rescue doesn't give them the kind of dog that I suggested. (I still haven't forgiven the rescue in question. I said they want and need the kind of middle aged collie that is bomb proof. It will get all the exercise and mental stimulation it needs, but they can't really handle one of those collies that have 'hobbies'. What did the effing rescue give them? A nervous aggressive basket case! NOT a rescue that posts on this board, I add!!! - OK grumble over)

Ruth - now puppy free, but still got mummy.

I homecheck mainly for an RSPCA branch but have the same 'standards' for anywhere I offer to home visit for. If I feel the home might not be suitable I would make it clear on my recommendations - regardless of who it's for. I have expressed reservations before and it has been taken forward and more discussions have taken place - some people have decided not to proceed and others have worked with the branch for a solution. Have you completed their homechecking course? Only ask as many people feel it's quite strict.

If you have any reservations then tell the branch that you wouldn't recommend. The strength of the homing process for any rescue often relies on the quality of home visit and the people who do it. Of course you may be overruled - I was once for an adjacent branch where I couldn't recommend the home for the dog concerned , but the dog then bounced a few months later :(

I am very clear on my recommendations from homechecks and say if I have any reservations; I do think with experienced homecheckers, and with any assessments, gut instinct is a fail safe. I assessed a large schnauzer x for a very large rehoming centre many years ago and recommended an experienced 'only dog' , adult home for him with a lot of exercise and training and patience. He was homed with an elderly lady who he bit quite badly. completely against my rec. , was then homed with a young mum with a small child with the inevitable consequence. So frustrating!

Sounds like the dismissive comments made by the prospective owner to purple mog have raised enough doubts for her .

i home check for bullbreeds for our local branch as well as our local shelter occasionally both accept what i have to say without question (why homecheck at all if you arent going to take on board the homecheckers views)

Be honest and tell the branch then let them make the decision im sure it will be the right one :flowers: