UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Endoscope

reds

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i asked for the full sedation never mind my throat. i can gag cleaning my teeth so i suggested unless they had about 8 spare staff to hold me down it might be easier to dope me. They gave me a wonderfull drug that relaxed me and i have no recollection what so ever of the event. apparently i still put up a bit of a fight and swore like a trooper :blush: but at least i cant remember any of it so it wasnt at all traumatic :blush02:

I've had a few of these done.

They spray your mouth and throat with this ghastly tasting anaesthetic stuff, makes it all tingly. Don't really feel the tube.

Standard practice in the local hospital now to give a sedative which has an amnesiac effect also, so even if you do battle a bit you don't remember it :laugh:

I haven't but my OH had one a few years back...he's the sort who gags when he's cleaning his teeth and has trouble swallowing an aspirin so he was dreading it! they offered him the choice of an anaesthetic, or the numbing spray...told him the anaesthetic would give him a bad headache and as he suffers with migraine, he chose the numbing spray. He said it did make him reach a bit as it went down his throat but it wasn't half as bad as he'd been imagining, plus he had a pretty nurse to hold his hand :laugh:

ive had the one that goes up your nose and down your throat,if id known i was having it they would of had to knock me out but it came as a shock when they sprayed my throat and shoved it up my nose after casually saying they would just like to have a look. Only gagged a bit,tho

I have had three - two with sedation where I don't remember much at all and one without. I did have trouble swallowing the tube, they said helpful stuff like pretend it is a cup of tea, whilst I had my mouth jammed open and a filthy great tube stuffed in my mouth :wacko: Got there eventually though and then it was not too bad but I did gag a bit. As I was staying awake I asked if I could watch so I got to turn over every now and then and see my innards on the TV screen :)

ive had the one that goes up your nose and down your throat,if id known i was having it they would of had to knock me out but it came as a shock when they sprayed my throat and shoved it up my nose after casually saying they would just like to have a look. Only gagged a bit,tho

I had that too - never again. :( Or at least not without total anaethesia.

I was haemorrhaging during a miscarriage and they decided to empty my stomach (I'd been in hospital for 3 days beforehand, and they knew I'd only had a painkiller a few hours before - no food :unsure: ) before they did an emergency D&C. It was a nightmare. :mecry: The nurses couldn't understand why the doctor was insisting on their forcing this tube up my nose (since my stomach was empty), but luckily, I started to lose consciousness - from blood loss, I assume - at which point, mercifully, they knocked me out. It was one of the most painful/distressing experiences of my life, and I say that as someone who's given birth four times and had assorted medical interventions.

If I ever have to undergo it again, I will be unconscious. (As an aside, does it make it more difficult for doctors if the patient can't swallow the tube? Anyone know? Is that why they aren't keen on anaesthesia?)

I've had the up the nose and down the throat - no prob with that one.

Also had the just down the throat - sedated with valium. I panic if my throat is numb so opted not to have the throat spray stuff. The valium is very relaxing, swallowing was ok but made me gag a bit. Woke up feeling fine and then felt even better because they gave me a smoked salmon sarnie!