UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Much Was Your Heating Bill?

yena

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooo, Ooo, Oooo (jumps up and down in fit of science geek excitement)

I think I've figured out how the Provence could reduce water vapour without a condenser.

The amount of water that comes out of the thing is dependent on the amount of fuel that goes into it, because the water is a byproduct of the combustion of LPG. The shape of the fire and the way it mixes oxygen with gas affects the way that the gas burns, like in a bunsen burner when you open the hole on the side. Get the fire structured exactly right and it will burn hotter and use less gas for the amount of heat produced.

Therefore, if you build a super-efficient LPG fire that can produce heat for 6 hours on three teaspoons of fuel, then you would have a fire that would emit very little condensation per hour of operation, because it would use very little fuel. It would still do 1 liter of water per liter of gas, but if it took 6 months to burn a liter of gas you wouldn't even notice the vapour...

run that past Matt, but I think that must be the answer. I can't speak for the efficiency or not of that particular fire, but when we had our calor wall fire replaced (condensation not really an issue there as it's in a chimney), we bought a more efficient model that burns blue rather than yellow: it kicks out a lot more heat and eats less gas than the old one. Maybe the Provence is a further-evolved version of that.

From your fellow geek.... sorry the chemist.....

It's certainly plausible, if it burns very little fuel to produce its heat then very little water vapour will be released. A blue flame means better combustion of the gas so more heat will be produced.

It took him over a day to come up with that :rolleyes: So it looks like we all need to go out and buy Provences.

Kiri - if you can find out the energy company I can see what they offer.

Same here we have Matt who is in a wheelchair so needs to be kept warm but because he lives at home we pay the bills, could we claim anything for him, we can on the rates because the house is adapted, those with stair lifts etc please note some councils do lessen your rates, up to 25%!!

Energy companies can't know about disabilities (or being pensioners!) unless they are told. If you want to PM me with the company you are with I'll send you contact details. If they are not currently offering a social tariff (BGs list gets full) then you can always move to one that is.

We moved to Atlantic a couple of years ago (from BG and LEB as was). We currently pay £81 a month for electricity, and £70 a month for gas (5 bed detached, though the 5th bedroom is a loft conversion). Once a year, just before Christmas, we get a 'loyalty' bonus of one months payments back (so £151 last year). For the last year or so we have been switching everything off standby / by switch that can be when not used (washing machine, tumble dryer, TV's etc), had thermostatic valves put on radiators, changed to an A rated tumble dryer and changed the front and back doors which were draughty.

We've had our bills through today, both actual readings. We are nearly £80 in credit with electricity, and nearly £150 in credit with gas. So pleasantly surprised at the bills, but the bills say that they will carry the balance forward and not change our monthly payments. Don't understand :wacko:

Edited by Maria

So pleasantly surprised at the bills, but the bills say that they will carry the balance forward and not change our monthly payments. Don't understand :wacko:

You is doing good :biggrin:

Energy companies tend to hang on to overpayments till the winter is over, in case you go on a heating frenzy. If you really really really want it back they might refund it if you ask - you can get Atlantic on 0845 073 3030.

You is doing good :biggrin:

Energy companies tend to hang on to overpayments till the winter is over, in case you go on a heating frenzy. If you really really really want it back they might refund it if you ask - you can get Atlantic on 0845 073 3030.

Thank you :flowers: May ask for the gas credit balance back as it is so big!