UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Natural Remedy Needed For Itchy Dog

Pouchie

Missie my daughters white cross breed has started nibbling and scratching all over her body and has come up very pink, this happened at the same time last year so seems to be an allergie to something. We do not want to take her to the vets as they will probably put her on steriods which we don't wount as we are sure it was a life on steriods that caused a tumour of the spleen in Saffie our Beagle X who we lost nearly 2 years ago :mecry:

Missie has regular Frontline/stronghold treatment and Malaseb baths that seem to ease the itch but not cure it :wink: Can anyone suggest a hebal remedy that we can buy over the counter or a herbalist vet in the kent area that will help her before she rips all her fur out :(

Has Missie been allergy tested? Intradermal skin testing can help identify the cause of the allergy and steroids aren't the only option :wink: Wiggle is allergic to 4 things and since being on the Atopica has no scratching at all and all his fur has grown back.

There's info on his blog, here

Personally, having had and successfully treated 3 dogs with skin allergies, I'd be wanting to to treat the cause rather than soothe the symptoms :flowers:

I have a dog who's allergic to lots of things and Missie really needs to be tested to see what she's allergic to.

It could well be something which can be eliminated (such as a food related allergy). Steriods are not given in all cases and it may be something which can be easily managed. Timmy's allergies are managed with one or two chlorphenamine (piriton) tablets a day.

You can also visit a homeopathic vet who can diagnose/treat the problem, but whichever way she needs to be properly diagnosed before you can think about treating the problem (otherwise how do you know what you are treating?).

Edited by merledogs

I would also agree with a visit to a homeopathic vet - you can find one local to you here

http://www.bahvs.com/findavet.htm

It is also possible that it is the flea treatments that are causing this as well and she shouldn't be needing those at this time of year. I use garlic oil capsules for the summer months and my dogs don't get fleas or ticks.

Anne

where is the itching, is it localised ie only legs and belly or all over, if localised and underneath it could be a contact allergy, does the dog have its own bed and does the owner wash it in biological powder as this can cause allergic reactions, so can shake n vac and other vacuum up cleaners/fresheners. At this time of year wet grass can cause allergic reactions too ive had a few calls this week from people whose rescue dogs are suffering from it at the moment. but it could also be demodect which can be brought on by stress or low immunity even by a bitch being in season causing the mites that normally do not cause a problem to reproduce to a stage where they cause a problem

piriton is fab for relieving symptoms of allergies. but will have no effect on demodect which will continue to get worse until the correct treatments are given. you really need to work out what the problem is to prevent reoccurrances So seeing the vet and being able to give them as much info as possible will help them to do that. once diagnosed then it can be managed :flowers:

I agree - seek advice from a Homeopathic Vet who will work at finding the 'cause' - you will probably have to see your conventional vet first though to get the referral and the form filling done but you can choose the Homeopathic Vet you wish to see. Just tell your vet 'I would like a referral to so and so' and also make contact with 'so and so' to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for all the replies, Missie does have her own bed (although usualy shares with George the Staffie) but she does tend to sleep every where. My daughter has wooden floors throughout so it's not due to carpets. She has been on all sorts of food and now tends to stay on a varied BARF diet.

I will take her to the vet next week (Sarah can't as just had a baby by C section) but will ask for Missie to be refered to a Homeopathic Vet but in the meantime will give Exmarid a try. We did have Saffie on Atopica and although she did flare up occassionaly it did keep it under control but it was expensive at around £48 per month :wink:

Don't know which part of Kent you are in, but if anywhere near the Sussex border, there's a brilliant homeopathic vet in East Hoathly. His name is Tim Couzins and he's worked wonders with many dogs' skin problems in the past. I remember particularly seeing a completely bald Bull Terrier with raw, scabby skin in his waiting room - poor thing was in a terrible state, the owner told me that his conventional vet had recommended the dog being pts and Tim was his last resort.

Over the next few weeks, I saw him from time to time as our visits coincided and the improvement in the dog was absolutely amazing. Also, when one of my own dogs caught mange from the local foxes, Tim treated her with a natural (henna-based?) rinse, so she didn't need any harsh chemicals and it cleared up really quickly.

If you've got insurance, his fees will be covered and I couldn't recommend him highly enough.